Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Most Likely States for a Deer Collision  (Read 9590 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Re: Most Likely States for a Deer Collision
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »

I do my part here in PA I kill one or two every year !!!!! using the 308 Rem just trying to keep the roads safe.

Kill one with a rifle out of season and the state will go after you since they own the deer and protect them for the people of the state. Hit one in a vehicle and they have no responsibility. More double tongue from white man. :P

Driving in the early am or late pm in November is a bad idea due to the activity of the rut. A couple of years ago I saw a big black dog heading for the road in front of me and prepared to take the evasive action. Lucky for me  I did as it was a bear. I'd imagine that the impact with a bike would not kill it but simply piss it off.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 03:03:22 PM »

My immediate area of operation is overpopulated with deer. I've had collisions with 3 in recent years, 2 of them ran into me and I clipped another. Seems like every time I get a new truck I hit a deer in the first couple of months. Had 3 does run out and slam their brakes on just short of crossing in front of me on my bike last fall, that one spooked me pretty good. Odd thing is that happened right in town a block from the courthouse.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »

Heard on the news last year that if you live in the Black Hills of SD you have a one in four or 25% chance of nailing one. In eight years here I have almost hit dozens and one took out my truck. Don't know anyone living here who hasn't hit one. Met one lady that hit three in one day. That would make me move.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »

Heard on the news last year that if you live in the Black Hills of SD you have a one in four or 25% chance of nailing one. In eight years here I have almost hit dozens and one took out my truck. Don't know anyone living here who hasn't hit one. Met one lady that hit three in one day. That would make me move.

We went to Sturgis in '13. A Canadian lady hit one in Spearfish canyon and died.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »

Knock on wood, but I've been lucky on motorcycles over the 50+ years of riding.

BUT I'm not so lucky in the car and motorhome department.

I grew up and lived in mid Michigan all the way up into the UP.  I've hit at least 12 deer over the years, two in one hit...

Since moving to the Greater St. Louis MO area, the west side out in the sticks, so to speak, I've seen a lot of deer and have not had any close calls.  I try to limit my riding in the spring and fall to daylight hours only and drive a bit slower because of my history with car/deer hits.

Here's a picture that should send chills through your spine.

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/bmw-z4-hits-deer-at-140mph-the-deer-disappears

This will get you to all the pictures of this particular car/deer hit.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »

Yeah that would have put a hurting on you and your orange & black...

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 08:12:03 PM »

Here in the Finger Lakes, NY I have hit plenty of them with truck and van. I don't ride at night. I hunt them with a shotgun so maybe I get them with a vehicle. You gotta watch out for the second and third ones. Long legged rats...

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »

Here in the Finger Lakes, NY I have hit plenty of them with truck and van. I don't ride at night. I hunt them with a shotgun so maybe I get them with a vehicle. You gotta watch out for the second and third ones. Long legged rats...

Yeah chances are pretty good that if you see one, theres at least one more behind him.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »

Several years ago doing HOG ride covered bridge tour in eastern PA, 50-100 foot gap between two groups of bikes, about 25 bikes in each group.
I was in front of the second group when 15-20 deer ran across the road. No big deal, I saw them coming. The riders in the first group never saw them.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

MV 2013

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »

In yesterday's paper.

Yikes - I think State Farm will have to modify their list to get New Jersey in the top ten. That's a lot of deer strikes...

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 03:54:32 PM »

We went to Sturgis in '13. A Canadian lady hit one in Spearfish canyon and died.

In hill city the bike ahead of me in town at a stop sign started out just as one come running down the sidewalk. He saw it and ducked as it tried to leap over him and the bike. He cleared it but the lady on the back didn't see it and didn't duck, she got knocked off.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 10:23:08 AM »

In Illinois we have a ton of deer. I'm in the southern end, and most of my riding locally is through a national forest. The deer are thick! I know several people who have hit deer on bikes, some have made it ok, some were really messed up. We usually have a deer vs. motorcycle fatality a year around here. It is the single biggest fear I have while riding. I have had a few near misses myself. I hit one in a minivan a couple of years ago. The bad part is if they're running full boar and it's after dark you never see them. I never touched the brake when I hit the one I hit. It was dark and in a small town, not even out in the country.

You would think as powerful as the insurance lobby is they would be working with legislators to press the Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources to allow more hunting. Unfortunately, the DNR regulates the hunt pretty closely and allow only a limited firearm season and manage the tags closely.

There really isn't a healthier meat to eat than venison, it has very little fat. It takes some finesse when cooking it, but man is it tasty!!!
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

J.Mart60

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHX non-CVO
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2014, 02:34:52 AM »

I can't believe that Florida didn't make the list. Our deer are small but they are everywhere. One ran into the left front fender of the Silverado, skidded a little ways, got up and gave me a look and took off, I had to laugh. Had countless close calls on the scoot but no contact yet.
If you want that pat on the back when you do well, you must also accept that kick in the ass when you screw up!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 10:15:05 AM »

I'm sure many of the newer members here don't know we lost one of our respected members to a deer strike.

Little over 4 years ago Jim W, aka BAKRDS, struck a deer up in the Finger Lakes section.
Miss the few times we got to ride together, always during CVO GTG's.

And it weighed heavily on the way I rode last month when we were in the same town he lost his life.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:05:53 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.