Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wind Spliiter windshield  (Read 3257 times)

SOCAL296

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited Silver and Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Limited Magnetic Gry M8 117
Wind Spliiter windshield
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:58:51 PM »

Anyone change out to the 10 inch Wind Splitter on their 14 or 15 Limited. I am 6'1 and with the Hammock seat I find I am a bit too tall for the stock windshield. I was thinking of going to a 12 inch standard but if the 10 wind splitter will work that would be great. My Harley dealer has them available for testing but thought I would ask
DR

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
Re: Wind Spliiter windshield
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »

Anyone change out to the 10 inch Wind Splitter on their 14 or 15 Limited. I am 6'1 and with the Hammock seat I find I am a bit too tall for the stock windshield. I was thinking of going to a 12 inch standard but if the 10 wind splitter will work that would be great. My Harley dealer has them available for testing but thought I would ask

I tried a DEMO.  At 5'11" it was very good at blocking the wind.  However, the distortion in the curved parts (right and left lower) will drive you nuts!  The road lines reflect and make onw want to vomit.  Really, it's that bad!

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

SOCAL296

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited Silver and Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Limited Magnetic Gry M8 117
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »

I tried a DEMO.  At 5'11" it was very good at blocking the wind.  However, the distortion in the curved parts (right and left lower) will drive you nuts!  The road lines reflect and make onw want to vomit.  Really, it's that bad!

M
Wow that's not good. What did you end up with. This past week ive taken a couple shots to the forehead and got caught in the rain with water coming off the stock windshield directly into my face. not sure if I should just go to the 12 inch
DR

CityLights

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: FLHCUSE7
    • CVO3: FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 10:20:01 PM »

I changed out the 10" (I think) standard for the 10"  Windsplitter on my old  2012 FLHTCUSE7 and my new 2015 FLHTKSE .  I didn't experience turbulence on either one . I changed the windshields for aesthitics .  I'm 5'10'' and when I rise my hand  I can feel the turbulence right above my head . If I were any taller  I might be in that turbulence zone and my  ten inch windshield  would  not work . Defiantly try the demo . Concerning the distortion , I suppose there is some but I never noticed . It's a nice windshield [/img][/url
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:25:34 PM by CityLights »
Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope , soft underfoot , without sudden turnings , without milestones , without signpost's.

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

• CVO1: CVO 2014 Limited
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »

I have a 2014 CVO limited and I installed a 15" windshield from Freedom Shields. I love it. You can get it clear or light smoke tint or dark gray tint. I am 5'7 and wear contact and the wind dry out my eyes. I don't have any problem with distortion on the curved parts that's how they push there product. You can fine them on line at Freedom Shields. It was hard to fine tinted shields that tall. Love it would buy again.
Harleywild1hog  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »

I run the wind splitter as you can see in my sig below and I'm 6'1" and see over it. While the side distortion is there, you never notice it unless you purposely look at that location which isn't where you normally look. You might not like it from a height standpoint since you mentioned getting hit in the face, can happen but rarely does. The wind flows around nicely but as has been said, rain WILL  hit you head on. Just and FYI, I used a 12" standard shield last year in an all day ride in the rain. I'd say if you plan to ride in inclement weather you had better have a good helmet with a face shield and not rely on the windshield. A tall windshield in a decent rain isn't easily seen through. I've been through about 4 different windshields and a few manufacturers so good luck in whatever you choose.

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 03:17:45 PM »

Not exactly what you're asking about but....at 6'3" the Windvest gunsmoke 10" works just fine for me on my 13 Ultra Classic.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 11:28:26 AM »

Wow that's not good. What did you end up with. This past week ive taken a couple shots to the forehead and got caught in the rain with water coming off the stock windshield directly into my face. not sure if I should just go to the 12 inch

I ended up with an 8" Freedom shield.  I've been beaned in the forehead a couple of times, but overall it does a great job considering it is a lower profile.  BTW I'm 5'11".

P.S. that's a friend - not me!  Much better looking than my fat A$$ ;D

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 21 queries.