Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: video camera on an ultra, anyone done it?  (Read 2357 times)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member
  • Every day above ground is a good day.

• CVO1: SERK3
    • CVO2: Ultra Limited
video camera on an ultra, anyone done it?
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »

I have a Oregon ATC9K camera I want to mount facing forward on my Ultra. Where the heck to mount it is the question. Any of you guys done this that could offer some advice?
Kiwi 8)
Kiwi 8)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: video camera on an ultra, anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »

Maybe make a bracket that would mount to the windshield....might need touse a sacraficial windshield though.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 Rio Red FLTRUSE (Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 Autumn Haze and Carbon Dust FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:38:41 AM »

You could mount it on the engine guard. A buddy of mine mounted his video camera there.  It has a remote that he straps to his leg to start and stop the video.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 07:22:36 AM »

Go with the engine guard mount unless you have an ultra that doesn't shake up high.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 04:59:47 AM »

Go with the engine guard mount unless you have an ultra that doesn't shake up high.
Yeah  I wondered about the shake etc but one of my riding buddies has the same camera mounted to his handle bar risers and the pictures are awesome, no fairing to worry about though. Will have to test out a couple of options I suppose. Don't know if the low position of the engine guard will produce as good a perspective as the higher position up near the handlebars. What to mount it with is the question, may have to fabricate something from scratch.
Thanks for the input.

Keith
Kiwi 8)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »

I like your idea and somthing i have been pondering for a long time. Check out some of the motorcycle video cams on uTube. I prefer the helmet mount and the engine mount second. IMO the helmet mount offers best overal view, just as the rider sees it. The lower engine mount offers a more dramatic viewing experience, giving sense of speed which is really neat mounted on sport bikes riding on curvy canyon roads. 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »

I use a RAM U-bolt for the handlebar, then their longer arm so that it gets it up and outside the windshield.  For my Camcorder, which is an older Sony DCR-HC48, I found this quick release for it that works quite well and allows easy removal when you stop: http://mountinginnovations.com/QREMM-SL/QREMM-SL.htm

If your camera has anti shake features, it will be fine on the handlebars...when you're typically recording, you'll be at speed anyway, so the vibrations are minimal.  I also use a wide angle lens adapter for the camcorder.  Hard drive cameras won't hold up long on a bike, but if it's a card or tape, it will be fine.

Here's one example of what I got using this system...the editing isn't great, but it'll do.  Mounted on the top of the right bar, in front of the master cylinder.  It's on the Cherahola Skyway in North Carolina...I was leading a group of about 30-40 bikes at Maggie Valley GTG, '07.  It was a Hellride...scraping the floorboards a good bit   :apple: ::)

Here's another...Tail of The Dragon...a bug got squashed on the lens, so sorry about that, but it gives you some idea...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 10:01:34 PM »

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 05:36:07 AM »

I use a RAM U-bolt for the handlebar, then their longer arm so that it gets it up and outside the windshield.  For my Camcorder, which is an older Sony DCR-HC48, I found this quick release for it that works quite well and allows easy removal when you stop: http://mountinginnovations.com/QREMM-SL/QREMM-SL.htm
Went here and checked it out. Looks like they have it covered. Will check what is local that may be like this otherwise I will have to buy it and have them send it to me.

It's on the Cherahola Skyway in North Carolina...I was leading a group of about 30-40 bikes at Maggie Valley GTG, '07.  It was a Hellride...scraping the floorboards a good bit   :apple: ::)
This road looks awesome and not unlike some of our roads here in NZ. Thanks for the input.

Kiwi 8)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »

Interesting topic - I took my Sony HD HDR-XR520V camcorder and thought I would just use a Techmount on the handlebars. Silly me couldn't figure out why I could never get it to record. It just kept crapping out right after I hit start.

Naturally, I never put 2 and 2 together that the vibrations was preventing the hard drive to function correctly. I then switched to a memory stick, but even with the anti-shake enabled, it was pretty bad.

Imho, the only way to go is those contour helmet things.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »

Imho, the only way to go is those contour helmet things.
[/quote]Agreed.  Check this model out. http://us.oregonscientific.com/cat-Outdoor-sub-Action-Cams-prod-ATC9K-HD-All-Terrain-Video-Action-Camera.html You can also install a GPS inside the camera so that when you are playing the video later the usual question of "where is that?" is answered on the screen. A marker shows on google maps the position and also the speed and altitude of the view you are looking at. I have yet to try this out for myself though.  Looking forward to getting the 32gb Micro SD card so I can start filming.(I had to order one) Also still working on getting a good solid mount set up for the Ultra.
Cheers for the comments.
Kiwi 8)

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:25:25 AM »

I went with the GoPro HD and mounted it on the engine guard - less vibration than the handlebars. Here's the link of a ride to the 3 sisters in Bandera Texas last week.

http://www.4shared.com/folder/7H97zWcf/Bandera_2011.html

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 06:05:58 AM »

I went with the GoPro HD and mounted it on the engine guard - less vibration than the handlebars. Here's the link of a ride to the 3 sisters in Bandera Texas last week.

http://www.4shared.com/folder/7H97zWcf/Bandera_2011.html

Thanks for the info and the vids. Do you happen to have any pics of the camera and mounting position you could send me?  Do you get mirage from the road showing in the footage on really hot days?
Kiwi 8)

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.