Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Certification of a trailer for CVO Limited, FLHTKSE , Type-ID 6HE724  (Read 1946 times)

LonesomeRider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE - CVO™ Limited

Hello

Originally there is no type-approval certificate supported by Harley-Davidson in Europe.
I am not really sure, how it is in other countries, but in Switzerland I need a certification for my FLHTKSE.
Asking the price of this approval, I received a estimated cost of this service for about 12'000 Swiss Francs.

1) Are there more owner's of a FLHTKSE who would like to have a trailer, so we could share the cost

2) I would like to know, how it is in other countries, in particular USA / Canada / New Sealand and Australia
    Thinking about to mount a hitch in Canada and travel along without this Swiss certificate

Albert

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
Re: Certification of a trailer for CVO Limited, FLHTKSE , Type-ID 6HE724
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »

I have pulled a trailer behind my all three of my bikes in the USA and Canada.  There is no North American requirement to certify a vehicle to tow a trailer.  Purchase and install a hitch, hook-up a trailer and go go go!
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »

Harley will tell you pulling a trailer with your Harley will void the warranty. However, I and many others pull our trailers anyway. So don't look to Harley for certification help. You can always take your hitch off your bike before warranty work is to be preformed.

Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

LonesomeRider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE - CVO™ Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 05:11:54 AM »

@NH Bulldog

Sounds easy - but do I need a registration / plate for the trailer ?
If yes - how I could manage this, can it be registered by the dealer before delivery ?
I have a contact address in Ohio, could be useful for registration, but of course I need the trailer in Halifax to load up my luggage.
What happens when I leave USA downwards to South America ?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:41:45 AM »

That type of certification is normally made by the manufacturer of the tow vehicle.  In the case of Harley, they do not recommend or condone trailer towing, and go so far as to void your warranty if they determine you have been towing a trailer.  So I have no clue about how you could possibly get your bike certified for trailer towing.  Are you sure that is an actual requirement in any of the countries you will be visiting on your trip?  If so, you need to contact those countries prior to the trip and get the info straight from the horses mouth.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »

Sounds easy - but do I need a registration / plate for the trailer ?
Answer:  In some states, a license plate is required for the trailer.  Depending on which ones you plan to travel through, you may want to proceed with getting a license plate anyway.  What you will not be able to get is certification from the manufacturer on trailer pulling as others have described above. 
However, if you are working with a dealer in the US, that would be my first contact for obtaining the title/bill of sale and state licence plate.

If yes - how I could manage this, can it be registered by the dealer before delivery ?
Answer:  See the explanation above.

I have a contact address in Ohio, could be useful for registration, but of course I need the trailer in Halifax to load up my luggage.
What happens when I leave USA downwards to South America ?
Answer:  Your contact in Ohio would be a good start for register and, possibly, transporting the trailer to Halifax.  As for south of the border, whatever license plate you put on the trailer and have on the bike should suffice.

One thing you have not mentioned and may not have considered is insurance on bike and/or trailer.  For the US portion of your trip, there may not be that much difference in what you have at home and what may be required in the US.  However, that will change once you cross into Mexico.  Others have traveled there and can speak to recent efforts but when I attempted to go down some years ago, my insurance company would not cover the bike, our trailer or us in Mexico.  We changed our trip plans and headed North. 

Again, you may have looked into this but if you haven't, it's something to consider.

Hope you have a safe, happy and sight-seeing filled adventure in your visit and keep it between the ditches.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 25 queries.