Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Ceramic coating  (Read 6275 times)

islandhog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2018 Anniversary Limited CVO
Ceramic coating
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »

has anyone had their bike done with the ceramic coating yet and if so how do you like it

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
Re: Ceramic coating
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:14:16 PM »

I guess it would depend how much the cost, but in my case I feel it was well worth the investment.  Only been about six months so far, but seems to be holding up well.

Here is some info to consider:
1) I paid about $350 for a complete detail of the bike, ceramic coating and then hydro coating
2) Ceramic (or any coating that I'm aware of) does not eliminate having to wash (or other method) of cleaning the bike of bugs, dirt, etc.  They do however come off easier.
3) Bike shines like it has been waxed as soon as I rinse AND dry the bike properly.

Hope this helps.
J

BTW:  You could have a look at my post about ceramic coating Lucielle...
https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=112846.0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:17:32 PM by zigzag930 »

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »

I was given a sample of Pinnacle about 2 years ago. If you bought this product it is $199.95 for a bottle. I applied it totally as directed. It produced a very nice shine. It does not preclude washing the bike to remove dust, dirt, bugs etc. It does make washing pretty easy, all foreign surfaces clean effortlessly.
I would not buy it even though it was easier to apply after making the bike totally spotless and scratch free than regular wax would be but the final product was no better than fresh carnauba wax properly applied to a clean scratch free surface. And the clean, scratch/swirl free surface is the big deal, anything you don't correct prior to application of final ceramic is still going to show.
$200 for a wax is just the start, the stuff for the wheels is $59.95, the product for the glass is $59.95 (not really applicable here but for a car), the spot detailer is $39.95 etc, and you are warned to within a inch of your life to only use certified products on your surface, even their $29.95 soap) So if you get someone to completely detail your bike, properly prep and seal the bike, chrome, wheels and paint, then apply the ceramic coating for $350.00 you basically have broke even on what the products cost. Or they skipped a few steps.
Not for me, I clean bike weekly and wax regularly so I just see no need, but to each his own.

harleymike77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »

Absolutely 100% worth it !!  Had my car (2017 2SS Anniversary Camaro convertible) done last year with C-Quartz Finest.

My Bike goes in tomorrow for a Feynlab Ceramic Coating.  My Detailer will have it finished for pickup on Tuesday evening.  REALLY looking forward to it.   :2vrolijk_21:
2012 CVO Street Glide - FLHXSE3
Dark Slate / Black Diamond with Phantom Flame Graphics
Vance & Hines Power Duals
12" Yaffe Chrome Monkey Bars

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »

Has anyone had the MotoTect by Simoniz done that some of the dealers sell? It is supposed to be a Ceramic product also. It comes with a lifetime warranty if done when the bike is brand new. I have not been able to read the fine print on the warranty yet which will probably have a big part in the decision made.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »

No one, not even NASA, has invented a simple coating that will do all the things these various products claim they will do.  I encourage you to read that fine print, I'll bet it's similar to all the others that auto dealers have been selling for extremely high profits for a very long time.  There is no magic, but there are plenty of hucksters.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 12:23:22 AM »

I have ceramic coated my bikes and will be doing both the BMW and the RG. After my 300 mile ride today on the BMW the difference in "clean up" after was huge since I haven't got it coated yet since I just got it last night. have scheduled a appointment for week from Tuesday.
Agree with Jerry that it not magic and you still have to take care of bike but my 12 able has almost 70,000 miles on it and its been ceramic coated for years (re apply each year) and really does look amazing for its age and use. I use the Pinnacle Black series and use their ceramic quick detailer after each ride. I usually do it at the gas station when I stop for gas on the way home and only takes about 15 minutes to do entire bike.
Today it took almost an hour on the BMW and I was exhausted after..
Alan

harleymike77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »

Back from the Detailer with Feynlab Ceramic Coating applied......

harleymike77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »

Back from the Detailer with Feynlab Ceramic Coating applied......(Pic 2)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 11:19:16 PM »

While this comes about a year late:

(I wanted to do this before I rolled the bike from the dealer) I bought my Gunship grey last December and was finally able to take delivery in July (Those that know the story of my injury understand why.)

As of now, the bike is my daily ride and is catching holy hell being ridden daily here in Hawaii.

I've been off a bike since September of 2014.... and I have every intention of catching up on those missed miles!

Keeping up on keeping her clean however is a different story....

Shine armor is so-so, and if you keep up on a daily basis will do OK.

Somewhere along the way I ran into a chitload of white road paint... don't even ask how many hours it took to get that off the bike.

Fortunately it was only on the forward facing, right side of the bike (Right fork leg, right side of fairing, right forward side of saddlebag) Kind of surprised it wasn't all over the exhaust and everything else that is black.

Does "ceramic" coating prevent debris like this dried paint from getting stuck to the paint?.

Would it wash off?  I wipe the bike down daily as it sits covered at work., and at home, but it isnt a trailer or garage queen.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Lookn4u

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 12:23:23 AM »

C-Quartz reserve, paint correction and ceramic cost $500 at local detail shop.

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 06:42:02 AM »

I keep seeing ads for F11 on youtube that is supposed to be a cleaner of sorts with a ceramic coating in it, as I understand...anyone tried it? Or seen the same ad?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »

McKee’s 37 is a true ceramic coating product. I don’t think F11 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »

You are correct F11 is not a ceramic coating it is a "top coat" product.  Timing is perfect as I am just doing a 19 Ultra Low and have a 18 Heritage softail to do after that one and then on to a BMW all using ceramic as a "final" coating and numerous prior to them including my own new CVO.
I have the upmost respect for Jerry's option but now as a detailer in my retirement, and coming from an automotive family, father having a large operation auto collision business, I have been around products as they have evolved.  Jerry is correct that ceramic is not a magic bullet.  However, it is one of the biggest advancements in car, or in this case motorcycle detailing in some years.  Prior to it, and still a good product is quality sealants on the market today.  Even ceramic coatings continue to evolve and have become very user friendly for the average Joe to use with professional results.  Ceramic cures rock hard like another microscopic clear coat layer.  Waxes, polishes, and most sealants tend to remain softer and are more susceptible to being removed by prespay cleaners (S100 as an example) and wash soaps.  Crap such as bird sh...t sit on top of ceramic as do bugs etc so they come off much easier.  Spray your bike with a pre cleaner such as S100 and hit it with a "low" pressure wash, blow it dry, and followed with a nice wipe down with a microfiber towel.  I go months with never using a bucket and wash mitt.  They have also come down in cost considerably and a good quality is now in the $60 - $80 range.  No magic bullet here again, the coating must be maintained with a top coat from time to time.  Thing is top coats spray on and wipe off.  Ceramic, like Sealants contain no paint correction properties.  You must correct your paint and bring it to a high standard prior to applying any coating.  I would say the biggest advantage of ceramic is low maintenance after it is done. All the work comes in the preparation no different then waxing, sealing or what ever you may use and that is where the cost comes from getting a professional to do it for you, labour costs.  Also, ceramic made for wheels is made with a very high heat tolerance and does an excellent job on your engine, heat shields, mufflers, and caps.  I personally have been using it in this manner for over 5 years now with awesome results.  I have absolutely no horse in the race here, nor any affiliation with any company but personally swear by CarPro products such as their CQuartz line and Reload as a topcoat for maintenance.  Essence is a great primer/corrector prior to ceramic application.  Oh and by the way I am OCD when it comes to my bikes and vehicles.  If you are washing your ride on a weekly basis this is great stuff and lasts.  If you don't and could careless spend $5 on a can of wax, I could care less.  Watch major online suppliers for their sales, do your own, and save big bucks.  Go to Youtube and watch some how-to videos. This is all IMHO.  I mite only suggest the pole/vote questions may be somewhat off in what they ask. What works for you, works for you!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:39:24 PM by fred786 »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 09:31:44 PM »

McKee’s 37 is a true ceramic coating product. I don’t think F11 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its not
Alan

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 10:13:59 PM »

McKee's 37 is a product line, not a single ceramic product for paint, they have Leather care. paint care, tire care etc. all under the Mckee's 37 logo.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »

McKee's 37 is a product line, not a single ceramic product for paint, they have Leather care. paint care, tire care etc. all under the Mckee's 37 logo.
Correct and they do have an impressive array of products.  Just did my trike this weekend with their prop products and ceramic coating.  Pretty easy all in all and looks great.  Hardest part was the washing and cleaning.  Put it under halogen work lights in the garage after a thorough washing.  Thought it was clean but my oh my there was still quite a bit of bug residue and road grime that had not come off with washing.  Good prep work makes all the difference.  Hoping it will hold up for a couple years.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 03:06:17 PM »

I have coated my cars and pickup. The coating I chose is Modesta B-4. It is a Japanese product and they are very particular about their installers and have no DIY applications that I know of. It is simply amazing, in that I have not waxed for years. They have two wipe on applications that you apple very other wash to renew the hydrophobic effect. The cars were prepped to the point there were absolutely nostrils prior to coating and curing. The other comments are what I have found. There is no product that will eliminate washing or allow the breeze to blow off debris. One warning you cannot use any waxes even soaps with waxes, or it will cause streaking on the ceramic surface, that is difficult to remove.

Short of a full ceramic coating I have used Glare products on my bikes and have been very happy with the finish, but this is a polish and sealer not a ceramic coating.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.