Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Cause of misfire/elect.failure/???  (Read 43193 times)

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
Re: Cause of misfire/elect.failure/???
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »

Thanks Slowride, I'm going to bring it to my friends garage this week. He'll do a through check up. Regards, George
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:40:18 PM by gflvette2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »

Don't worry George I have a new coil laying around for my RKC, shaking my head....too often everyone assumes the coil only to later discover it's not the coil at all....I read somewhere where 90% of all coils that are sold aren't needed....but heck when the coil does go bad you have one..... :mango:

Coil  _X_   checked off the list.....

so now what's next......come on boys we got to help George out here.....

Hey Mike, so what's the verdict.....I mean what would you guys all do with George's tank problem?  Would you all think about "replacing" it or taking the route of trying the products you mentioned above?  Anyone priced out a new tank for these bikes?

So George what's the check sheet so far look like?

What's been verified to be working? 

Regards,

Tim

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 12:24:26 AM »

You tested the coil. But did you try replacing it with the new one anyway? I've seen them test OK but be a problem. They won't take it back, so give it a try. But you keep saying the lights are dimming too. That still sounds like the charging system. Has everything been checked with that? A short or bad ground is also still possible. And fuel related might be it, but the lights dimming bothers me on that one. But I would clean out the carb, drain and flush the tank, and get fresh fuel in it, since you found all that crap in the tank. That's about all I come up with. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 06:26:17 AM »

Ignition switch,  conections or wiring to the switch??
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 08:20:02 AM »

There is obviously more than one issue here, but the lights thing is telling you electrical, not fuel.  Yes, the fuel issue needs to be addressed also, but that isn't causing the electrical problem.

I used the Kreem product years ago on a previously uncoated tank, and other than the fact the stuff rapidly turns color in use to an ugly brown it worked fine.  It's a bigger PITA to apply than the literature implies, but it does seal the tank.  The question I would have is how do you intend to remove the existing sealant first?  You won't want to install a new layer of sealant over the old peeling stuff, unless you want it all to continue peeling.  The new stuff needs to bond directly to the metal of the tank. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:15 AM »

well, I'll  replace the coil with the new one today. I cleared the fuel line from the carb to the tank. I couldn't get the fuel to flow from the tank to the carb so my bud will do that for me. The new symptoms are that after it starts and runs for a few mins. the just cuts off now and wont restart. I switch the petcock onto reserve and still nothing.  He thinks it might possibly be the fuel flow. But he'll check that too. So today I'll button it all up and he'll take it to his garage.  I think at this point I cant do anymore.  

I dont know if I mentioned this earlier. Someone is interested in my 2005 Ultra. It has 4,800mi. and is mint. Rinehart true duals, power commander, stage I, and chrome accents on all the lights and a little more. I'd really hate to part with it. I know I'll never be able to replace it. I have a feeling that the 2005 happens to be a little different than the 06 because it has no O2 sensors. I'm not  sure that means anything byt its just my feelings.

Best , George    

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 08:29:03 AM »

Thanks guys, I know Ill have to do all the above too.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »

Yes grc,the old liner would be replaced.

Well, I buttoned up and replaced the new coil. I got it started and at say 2700 to 3K or higher rpm's, again the lights flicker. I allowed it to warm up and I noticed that before it stalled, the Idle rpms were starting to raise- like the fuel was leaning out. I would quickly change the petcock to reserve and it will continue to run. switching back and forth. The engine got warm. Now what happens is that when it stalled it wouldn't start in either reserve or run position. Finally got it started with the full choke. Now when it stalls, all the electrical/ lights go out. in about 30-45 seconds they turn back on. I put the BT on and here I am.

Thanks, George   

RedFXR2

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »

Hey Mike, so what's the verdict.....I mean what would you guys all do with George's tank problem?  Would you all think about "replacing" it or taking the route of trying the products you mentioned above?  Anyone priced out a new tank for these bikes?

I'd clear the fuel system and see if the bike would keep running before I messed with the tank, other than to get the loose stuff out of it.

I'd rather not mess with the liner products unless I had to.  Clean it out and run it the way it is for quite a while.  Maybe put a see-through in line filter between the petcock and the carb to monitor stuff getting past the petcock.  I'm sure you could order a pre-painted tank from HD but I'm also sure it would be $$$.  On the other hand, you'd have to be very careful with the liner products or you'd damage the paint and have to fix that, anyway. 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »

George, the voltage regulator getting warm in and of itself is not unusual.  It's mounted where it is (on the front of the bike) and with cooling fins on it for just such a reason.  Still, the symptoms you're talking about and the deal with the headlight dimming makes me think the voltage regulator is the problem.  If it was the stator I don't think you'd be getting good vaules at the battery like you are.  I'm sure there are some values you could check going into/out of the regulator, but the service manual I have doesn't specify anything.  I would also say, it's sorta rare for a regulator to fail, but you never know.  Could also explain why it's working fine until it heats up. :nixweiss:

Maybe your local dealer or another shop has a known good one you could swap it out with to see what happens?

If your regulator is bad they will probably have to order from the factory as I just went through this myself because no one seems to stock a CHROME one. My symtoms were check engine light and battery light came on as I watched the volt meter drop down to zero and then bounce back as high as 13.75. Only now with new regulator have the same thing going on so back in the shop waiting on an answer. Sure hate to listen to a service writer trying to blow smoke up my azz. Last time had to burn a whole day on the charger before they would even look at it. This time I brought my own battery tender and had them hook it up before I left that way no excuse. Anyway called yesterday to check status and found out service writer had it ready to be torn apart to do the update 905. Almost lost my Baisley worked heads for new stock ones and more. I did not ask for this at all, just want the original issue fixed. I informed her my heads are not leaking now and I have two years to get this done. Trouble is I don't have to ask I know why, bigger warranty money for service writer to get paid commission on. :soapbox: arrrrgggg.

RedFXR2

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »

I cleared the fuel line from the carb to the tank. I couldn't get the fuel to flow from the tank to the carb so my bud will do that for me. The new symptoms are that after it starts and runs for a few mins. the just cuts off now and wont restart. I switch the petcock onto reserve and still nothing.  

It sounds like you need to clean the petcock and carburetor by dismantling them.  I'd say the fuel is barely flowing, not enough to keep the motor running.  When you get it started, it only runs as long as it takes to empty the fuel bowl.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »

Given what George is communicating about his tank, for "FUTURE" reference....how many of you would simply replace the tank vs trying to put a sealant in the tank?  GRC's post above states what I am thinking as well....how in the heck do you know for sure that you will ever get all of the "loose" stuff freed from within the tank to apply the new sealant in hopes that it will completely reseal the entire tank?

Regards,

"Classic"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »

Could that vacuum diaphragm petcock be bad? Maybe a small hole in the membrane? I never used em. Ripped em off almost immediately. But could that be an issue? Is the vacuum line connected and not leaking? What about VOES? can that cause these symptoms? Just throwing more ideas into the pic! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »

Hey All, They're all good Ideas! I really don't know what the answer is. I looked in the service manual and in the electrical section he has all the values written in. So I guess he had the problem although he denies having any. My bud is leaving his p/u and tomorrow AM I'll bring the bike to him. He's an Auto mech, not a bike mech. But he'll recheck everything and do the right thing.He knows his electronics. I HOPE we'll find the resolution very soon. I'm sure we'll clean the petcock and check all the elect. connections and parts. I want it to be ready for "Joy's arrival" , lol.

Best to all, George

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:18 PM »

please check my earlier post , clogged pet cocks don't dim lights .....axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 25 queries.