Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well I'm going with Avons!  (Read 1531 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Well I'm going with Avons!
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:30:50 PM »

Those of you who recall this thread:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1150155105

Know I am just a tad concerned about the cracking in my front tire. So I went back to the vendor today and showed it to him. The good news is that he will warranty it for me. The bad news is that it will take quite a while for the whole process.

He will warranty it for me per Metzler policy, (more than 50% tread remaining, 100% covered, less than 50% tread remaining, 50% covered). He said he has to send the tire back to his distributor, Parts Unlimited. The tire will sit there until the Metzler rep can get to it. They will credit him, and he will credit me. All of this could take months to process. Well I need a tires to ride, so this time I am going with the Avon WWW. I'll get them both replaced, since my rear tire is pretty worn down. I liked the way the Metzler rode and felt. I did not like the way the newer, fresher front tire started cracking. I also do not like the way Metzler deals with warranty issues.

One of the other reasons I am going with Avon is their warranty process. According to the vendor, if my front tire was an Avon instead of a Metzler, he could swap it out right away and not have to deal with a whole warranty return process like Metzler. All I would have to pay is the labor. So he ordered the Avon WWW tires, and they will be installed tomorrow.

For a while there I thought I would stick with the Metzlers.
Now it looks like Avon is the ticket for me.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Well I'm going with Avons!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:16:19 PM »

I don't think you can go too wrong with the Avons.  When we did our Arctic Circle run, we were both on Avons.  They held up pretty well, with all 4 lasting several thousand miles beyond the trip (which was about 8700 miles in itself).  We've never experienced the cracking you've seen.  I ran Metzler's on my Honda (600#) and never had a problem with them.  They were a good tire.  I guess everybody can have something go wrong every now and then.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Well I'm going with Avons!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 10:09:05 AM »

Well I got the Avon Venom-X Wide Whitewalls installed yesterday, along with a set of Lyndall Z pads in the rear to help keep the rear tire dust free. I like 'em so far, all 25 miles to ride home that is. I'm running 40psi out back, and 36 up front. I think I'll bump the front up to 40psi too.

The WWWs on the Avon are different than the Dunlop or the Metzler. Where as those WWWs are flat and smooth, the one on the Avon is raised a bit, and has a texture to it. I think it looks great. I'm glad I got the rear done too. Although I had no problems with the rear Metzler it was pretty worn and starting to show signs of thread wear.

I got the:

Venom-X F (Fromt) MT90H-16 WW (WideWhiteall) $140.98
Venom-X R (Rear) MT90H-16 WW (Wide Whitewall) 154.98

Install and balance was $75.00 for both.

I know I could have gone with a wider rear, but since I ride a bagger it's no big deal for me 'cause no one can really see the rear tire.

I just set a calendar date to remind me to call and check up on the Metzler warranty in about two months.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.