Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 CVO Road King Upgrading to mini apes...A Few Questions  (Read 2181 times)

JOZO

2013 CVO Road King Upgrading to mini apes...A Few Questions
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »

OK - So this question may have been beaten to death, but I still cannot find a definitive answer in any of the old threads. I just bought a low mile 13 SERK and want to change out the stock bars without changing the wires and/hydraulic lines. I read that 10" apes would not require any changes, but then I also hear the contrary as well. Hard to tell by looking in the nacelle how much I have to work with. I have no problem adding wire extensions if needed, but definitely do NOT want to swap out the clutch/brake lines. Considering Arlen Ness 10" Modular bars. They have 10" Rise, 35" Width, 10" Center width, 5" Pullback and appear to be much easier to run wiring through. If you have any thoughts or experience it would be greatly appreciated! :-\

LITTERBOX

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
    • CVO2: 1999 FXR3
    • CVO3: Another 99 FXR3
Re: 2013 CVO Road King Upgrading to mini apes...A Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »

I installed 10'' Monkey Bars on my 13 SERK without extending anything. With that being said there was not an extra 1/2'' of play at the wiring extending through the bars with the exception of the TBW wiring which is PLENTY long. Clutch and brake cables were fine. Monkey 10's are more like other mfg 12's tho as the upswept bend at the top and bend at the lower curves = 2" to 3" of extra bar. Hope that helps you!
YUUUUP

JOZO

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:53:11 AM »

Great to hear - and thank you for your response. I have gone ahead and ordered the bars and riser adapter. I will also be moving the turn signals off the bars to the Auxiliary Spotlamps/Brackets that I will be adding at the same time as the bar swap. Should be an interesting install. Hoping to get everything installed in the next week or so. I will post pics afterwards.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »

Glad I read this before posting. Looking at LA Choppers twin peaks, either 8s or 10s. Good info!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

JOZO

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 04:05:58 PM »

All done - Clutch/Brake cables were plenty long. Wiring was pretty tight but manageable. Love the look of the bars - 10" was perfect fit. Not too high and definitely feels like I have a lot more "leverage" when maneuvering. Considering my other bike has 21" Apes, this was a nice middle of the road compromise. Night and day difference from the stock Road King bars

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:21:12 AM »

I would really like 10's, does anyone know if my turn signals would have to be relocated if I went with 10's? Not opposed to 8's if so. I am pretty sure so 8's would still be an improvement over stock.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

JOZO

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 08:09:57 AM »

Turn signals should be fine along with all the other wiring

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 08:47:37 AM »

Thank you! And sorry for hijacking your thread. Just didn't feel the need for a new one with the info I needed right here :)

I will order the 10's!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.