Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 03 Serk Idle Adjustment  (Read 1661 times)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
03 Serk Idle Adjustment
« on: August 07, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »

When my bike is hot it seems to be ideling a hair too slow , around 950/75rpm (just a guess as its a hair under 1000 and I do not know how accurate the tach is) when hot and therfore idles a little rough and makes some sound like from the trans area. If I twist the throttle gently to say 1075/1100RPM is idles fine and no sound.

I have not put a clamp-on tack to double check my tack on the bike. Is there anyway I could tweek the idle up a hair? I looked in the 03 Service manual and all they show the carb and nothing about setting the injected model.

I do have the stage 1 kit as well as the PCIIIR and the bike has been dynoed. I think that I read that there is a idel screw on the injected model but that really did not adjust the idle speed?

TIA,
John
JR

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 03 Serk Idle Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 02:30:41 PM »

When my bike is hot it seems to be ideling a hair too slow , around 950/75rpm (just a guess as its a hair under 1000 and I do not know how accurate the tach is) when hot and therfore idles a little rough and makes some sound like from the trans area. If I twist the throttle gently to say 1075/1100RPM is idles fine and no sound.

I have not put a clamp-on tack to double check my tack on the bike. Is there anyway I could tweek the idle up a hair? I looked in the 03 Service manual and all they show the carb and nothing about setting the injected model.

I do have the stage 1 kit as well as the PCIIIR and the bike has been dynoed. I think that I read that there is a idel screw on the injected model but that really did not adjust the idle speed?

TIA,
John

Sounds like your tuning needs a little tweaking. You can manually try adding or taking away a little fuel on the low range, with the button on the PC III. But a good tune should fix that.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »

TIA,
John

Sounds to me like the ECM is taking the bike into heat management operation, which slows the idle and drops the rear cylinder, until you give it more throttle or start moving.  If you have this operation active in the ECM, it's supposed to do this...it can be disabled once for free by your dealer, but only with the digital tech.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 05:33:09 PM »

John,

There is no idle speed screw on the Delphi injection system, just a throttle stop screw that should not be tampered with.  Idle speed is controlled by the ECM through the Idle Air Control, which is basically a valve that bypasses the regular throttle plate to control the amount of air entering the engine at idle.

Definitely can't get an accurate idle speed from the bike's tach.  If you have a friendly dealership service manager, ask him to hook up his Digital Technician handheld and check the idle speed.  If it's a little low, they can adjust it electronically in the ECM.  If it's OK at normal engine temps and only low when the engine heats up, they may be able to turn off the heat management feature in the ECM (not totally sure on an '03) if it really bothers you.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

candybrandy-rk

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 10:44:39 AM »

Is there any harm in turning off the heat management feature?
My bike does the exact same thing. It idles and runs real nice until it gets real hot, then it starts dropping idle speed and almost sounds like it is missing.
Appreciate any replys.
2002 candy brandywine.power commander III.arlen ness big sucker.thunder cones

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 10:54:22 AM »

Is there any harm in turning off the heat management feature?
My bike does the exact same thing. It idles and runs real nice until it gets real hot, then it starts dropping idle speed and almost sounds like it is missing.
Appreciate any replys.

I just got back from the dealer and he told me that what I was hearing was a typical 103 Hot Stroker motor, he just had one come in from a test spin which also sounded the same. My idle speed was within limits so all my worries were for nothing.  I believe my tach was off around 50rpm.

As far as the heat management for the 07 models ( i think that was the year it started as my 07 RKC had that mentioned in the owners manual) is strictly for the comfort of the rider.

If you do have a stroker what you are probably hearing is normal, take a spin by the dealer , I doubt they would charge you to listen.

Its probably nothing I doubt that it came set up like that from the factory.

John
JR

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 11:53:26 AM »

The attachment shows the Heat Management strategy for the '02 through '05 models at the bottom of the page.  The purpose of the system is to protect the engine; only in '06 and later did they modify the system to also address rider comfort as well. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

candybrandy-rk

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 11:29:40 AM »

Thanks-the (pulsing) seems to describe the sound of my bike perfectly.
If this system was de-activated would it idle and sound as it does when it is colder?
Sounds like a true Harley then when it warms up it sounds like it is missing.
As soon as I increase the throttle or ride away the bike runs flawlessly.
Jerry?
2002 candy brandywine.power commander III.arlen ness big sucker.thunder cones

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 12:49:10 PM »

Thanks-the (pulsing) seems to describe the sound of my bike perfectly.
If this system was de-activated would it idle and sound as it does when it is colder?
Sounds like a true Harley then when it warms up it sounds like it is missing.
As soon as I increase the throttle or ride away the bike runs flawlessly.
Jerry?
candybrandy,

IF they can deactivate the heat management system (like I said earlier, I'm not certain they actually can deactivate it on the 02-05 models), the bike obviously won't drop idle speed or purposely miss, so in that regard the answer to your question is a qualified "yes".  If you are having the heat management mode kick in all that often, however, I'd look at verifying the head temp sensor.  If the sensor is reading high, it could be causing the ECM to go into heat management when it isn't needed.  And if you're really running that hot on a regular basis, you may want to review your riding habits and cut back on the extended idling.  I personally shut the engine down when I get stuck waiting on traffic, trains, etc. rather than let the engine get that hot.  Remember, heat management is there to let you know the engine is getting too hot and you need to take actions to prevent damage.

Jerry

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 01:02:58 PM »

Agree with Jerry...if you are going into heat management often, there's something else going on.  I've been riding my 06 for over a year, encountering some really hot temps, and have yet to have the bike go into heat management.  I have TD's and a PCIII to help keep the motor running a bit cooler.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.