Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 03 SERK Serk Which one Corbin Solo or Dual?  (Read 990 times)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
03 SERK Serk Which one Corbin Solo or Dual?
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:32:11 AM »

This is the reply to below, I could not do so as the post exceeded the number of allowed letters.

I have no problems spending that type of money on a seat and usually do close to  that when I have the Russell seats built for my past bikes. The rub is that Russell unlike other seat companies will acutally build you a custom seat with spring suspension that does come with a 100% money back gaurntee if they can not get it to fit you correctly.

No other seat maker offers this, the rub is that after owing previous RK I have discovered that Russell can only do so much do to the fact that they must use the OEM HD seat pan. When I saw the SERKS seat and sat in it I believed that it was a different pan so I purchased they bike, but after that I soon discovered that the HD seat was chit and it used the same pan.

I have talked with Sergio at Corbin and he told me that I get one shot from them to get the seat right . After that I will be charged. So sorry for $700 -$800 I'm not going to screw around anymore with the bike and have put it for sale as a lower price.

I live in Chicago where the riding season is pretty short and do not need anymore of this bullchit. I'm going back to a Goldwing/Russell seat combo and will be able to enjoy 8 hour days in the saddle compared to 45 minute rides around the neighborhood on the SERK only ending in extreme pain and possible nerve damage.

Damn HD makes great product and the looks are to die for but they are just not for me, its all egronomics and it seems sorry to say HD will not suit me. I have always loved the Road Kings but they will not work out.

I thank you for taking the time to write and supply me with the info and I probably would take a try with Corbin if I lived in Ca and was close to ride over and have them build me a seat on the spot but it just aint gonna happen.

BTW I have tried Mustang seat which saw me too close and as well as most other makes

John
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:59:13 PM by JjR »
JR

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: 03 SERK Serk Which one Corbin Solo or Dual?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 03:53:22 PM »

ok my cvo bike is a FXR2, however I do own a 2002 RKC and have for 3 years now.

Here are some things to think about with corbins....

first of all they are leather, so make sure that's something that is ok with you.  I purchased a ripstock type material cover for mine when it's raining or I am traveling over nite to use for maintenance with my seat. 

I own the corbin classic solo plain (without studs).  I also have pillion that goes with this set up for my wife when she rides.  It seems you are considering a single one piece seat.....perhaps you will find more options by going to a single seat and purchasing a seperate pillion.  It turns out that the corbin classic solo's pillion is as comfortable as the corbin true dual one piece seat for my wife....it has a very wide base similar to the corbin true dual as well.  My wife is only 5' 2" and 105 lbs but I feel it would work for a woman of any size actually....at least it's something to look at.  The corbin classic solo puts you back away from the handle bars about an 1" as compared to the corbin classic "close" solo. 

As for my comfort....corbins are a much firmer ride, they say it takes about 1,100 miles to break them in.  I have taken several trips with it and I have always felt it was a very nice seat.  BUT we all know seats are like opinions everyone has one.....I am not sure how one goes about choosing a comfortable seat unless one has a buddy who will let them try their seat for awhile.  You also noted correctly that a "seat" that won't force you to change your bars.....it comes down to flavor...of course another option is the mustang seats now those are genuine "naga" while rare <grins> they do offer better weather resistance when it comes to rain and such.  A buddy of mine put a Mustang Day Tripper on his 2006 Road King Custom but discovered it's really only good for just that a one day ride, hence the name perhaps?????  When putting multiple days together it just doesn't offer the support.....so now he has two seats one for running around another for traveling.  His seat for traveling is a single Mustang seat by the way and he has purchased a pillion for those times when he travels and needs it and actually the pillion flows very nicely with his single seat so he may just run the pillion all of the time anyway....

I happen to like the corbin single classic solo seat as the bike looks cool with only a single seat on it....and of course the pillion serves for trips if I want to put a t~bag on the pillion that will also serve as a back rest or with my wife. 

My buddy would never put a corbin on his bike....so there you have it....I love it...he hates it....but remember even the most comfortable bed or couch isn't so comfortable if too much time is spent on either.....meaning that comfort is a realitive thing.....but if you are looking for something that you can sit on for 10-12 hours 4 or 5 days in a row for a trip.....comfort becomes a realitive issue.  and of course once you pick the seat then you go to handle bars....between the two perhaps you will end up with something comfortable.  With my corbin classic solo I recently put on a set of WO (wild one) 515's which are the 10" apes and recently finished a 1,200 mile trip to sturgis for 5 days of riding....doesn't sound like many miles but as we all know at slower speeds you are spending just as long in the seat....and both the handle bars and seat are working fantastic together.

I wish you well with your search....it's tough to draw conclusions from others....but the first decision is leather vs naga....then it moves from single seat with a pillion vs a "dual" look and featured seat.

It's amazing what the mind does when we spend $400-$800 for a seat....at that amount of money everything feels wonderful....with or without ego....lol

I will try to check back with you if you have other questions perhaps I can offer some insight....I assure you however there is nothing easy about what you are going through and for the amount of money these things cost.....drawing upon others only makes sense but in the end it comes right down to how it personally feels for you.

FXR2evo99

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.