Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OIL TEMP GAGES  (Read 818 times)

TDW

OIL TEMP GAGES
« on: April 10, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »

I have a 2008 110 RK. I was looking at the Harley's temp gage,
$140.. Any recommendations on temp gages. I am just about
to go to a heavy beather and slip on's, and p/c III, and have
it dyno'd. I would like to see oil temp before and after.Thanks
TDW

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: OIL TEMP GAGES
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »

I just had my LCD dipstick split in half length ways leaving a 5" piece floating in my oil pan. Dealer told me it wasn't the first. That's all I needed to hear, so I put the old one back on. There are some new post on the subject try doing a search. Lost 2 sunny days of potential riding.

Ray G.

Ziploc

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »

TDW... I have the LCD dipstick, and fortunately for me it is still in one piece.  Works pretty good.  Occassionally I get the ERROR message when I don't think I should, and that can be a bit annoying.

Ray G... Any ideas on why your's broke?  It would be crazy to think, but maybe the oil temp broke the stick.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »

It looked like it just came unglued where the front and back piece snap together.  It's a two piece snap together unit.  Nothing seemed broken, no small chips were evident, it just came apart.  Once the piece was located it actually snapped back together looking no worse for the wear.  I ran it all last year and found it convenient.  I have a Baker + 1 oil pan and use Amsoil 20/50 and according to the gauge I rarely exceeded 225 degrees this spring.  It has been rather cool out here and I have not been stuck in traffic causing excessive heat so I would eliminate heat as the source.

The service manager admitted that they have had continued failures but I didn't ask what kind.  I don't have the unit in my hand so I can't be absolutely sure but, I would just make sure it looks sound.  It might be a freak incident.  Those things just have a way of coming my way from time to time.  I know I just wouldn't take the chance of installing another one, but if I was reading this post, I would probably not be overly concerned and keep it in.  How many times has this happened? 1 or 100, who knows.  Just maybe it was dropped when they did the gasket work in Feburary!  Hmmm!

Good Luck,

Ray G.

Ziploc

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:29:33 AM »

Thx for the vector.  I'll have to give it a look see this weekend.  Floaties in the oil pan can't be good; especially for a bike that likes to generate heat.

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 07:27:24 AM »

I have use the LED gauge sense it was introduce. I purchase one for my ultra years back and it work well. There has been several good improvements in the device. I have changed a few batteries, re-kitted the digital unit, for my self and others, but this is the first that I have heard of a disconnection. Keep shop hands off of the device. When I take it in for any type of service I replace it with the original. I purchase a gauge for my serk it works great. I like changing my own fluids as much as possible and on one occasion I set the LED digital reader face down of a flat surface. Oil got beyond the seals and into the unit's screen, so bad, it look like a level. I disassembled it in time, and cleaned it out, now anytime the cap is off I keep it free standing in a bottle. I only use it to read the temperatures and oil levels. I use the original to measure the oil level when adding is necessary.
Jcarl
• I picked up my pal October 12, 2007
This is my slogan coined years ago, "I love to ride and ride what I love" I am an artist and photographer down in Houston, Texas that loves the two wheel experience.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.