Custom Vehicle Discussions > CVO™ Softail® Convertible

Paint helmet to match bike color??

(1/2) > >>

porkypig:
Okay, folks. These softail convertible threads are realllllllly slow moving.  Need to come up with something to start things popping, know what I mean??  The other Screamin' Eagles have us pinned down 85 to 1.  Let's start shootin' back!
As I had my last bike, an 05 Heritage, for 5 years, I pretty much attained the life expectancy of the common helmet as per the opinion of a few people.  So, now I am looking at the option of purchasing a new helmet (and of course one for the gf).  Right now I have a HJC CL-14 that has done me well over the years and was inexpensive ($135).  But the question has been raised that 'what price do you put on the value of your brains??'  So, is it time to go for an ARAI helmet?  All us folks can afford to purchase a Screamin' Eagle Convertible but we can't afford to purchase one of the best helmets on the market to protect our gourd??  So, I am trying to decide on a model of ARAI helmet that is comparable in style and fits right (doesn't seem to be any retailors around S.E. Washington state where you can walk in and put a display model on your head and arrive at a size).  Anyway, if I purchase a great, protective ARAI helmet, does anybody know where I can have it painted to exactly match the paint on my Crimson red sunglo/Autumn haze?  Many helmets seem like they are the right shade of silver/ red, etc, until you get them close and discover the shade is just not even close.  Anybody gots any ideas?  Plus would probably want to get it clearcoated at the same time.    Ok, let's get this one 'unpacked' and laid out on the garage floor..........

newdep:
I agree this thread is slow, not sure what you can do about as there just isn't that many people out there with this bike. I wish it was far more active.

As far as you helmet I'm not sure I would spend the kind of money it would take to have them painted. I don't know about you but mine get banged around way to much for that.

I have a SHOEI that ran about well over $400 and it is so worth the money, if it is half as safe as it is comfortable I will be happy (hope I never find out though).

porkypig:
Well, dang.....maybe we should relish in the fact that there are only 5 or 6 of our bike out on the road, rather than the thousand and thousands that we have been led to believe.  That may make them worth so much more down the road in 20 or 30 years if we keep them in good shape and don't put any miles on them.......   ha!  I bought mine to ride and ride I will just as soon as the weather stops putting water droplets on my street and chilly air. 
Maybe I will find a good helmet first and consider painting it afffffter I get it.  I'm with you, I don't really want to find out that my helmet lives up to its name or reputation or not.  It's sort of opening up an egg to confirm that there is really an egg inside that shell.  Many of us find out that the cars and bikes we drive are really faster sitting right there in the garage than they are out on the street......  :coolblue:  so, anybody got any ideas who sells ARAI helmets in the Washington/Oregon/Idaho area??

Buy early:
I went through a similar route with getting a helmet to match my bike. Thread is here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=36404.msg576490#msg576490

Was fortunate to find a painted helmet that was the same red as the bike so didn't have to have the whole helmet painted, just the gaphics. CVO colors can be hard to match.

MikeV:
I considered getting / making a matching helmet for my FLSTSE but I thought it might be a bit much to have a bright metallic orange helmet., I ride with a full face and currently have one of the HD modular helmets. It has subtle silver flames so the black and Silver match the the other colors on the convertible.

I always ride with a full face so the modular helmet provides a nice break from time to time. Back in my early days I took a spill at speed and essentially landed and slid on my face. If it weren't for the full face helmet I would not have one. One of the sections was ground down to the core material. So winter or summer the full is always on. I might have to add some matching accents though I have not decided yet how much color to add.

As to this forum being slow - just wait. Here in NY the frigid temperatures keep the new ride in the garage which I must say is killing me. Once these season starts I am sure this section will pick up. I myself can't wait for the MC show coming up in few weeks in NYC so I can see how much more hard earned cash I can spend on my already perfect bike :).

Mike V.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version