Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam  (Read 48048 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam
« on: March 02, 2007, 03:16:22 AM »

As a function of both declining night vision now that I've reached the latter half of my 40s and the fact that our headlights pretty well suck I'd been watching intently as people tried the Harley HID lights, PIAA bulbs and a variety of other alternatives.  I'd changed from the stock single element housing on the 05s to the dual element housing; that helped a little.  Then upgraded to H9 bulbs for both elements.  That helped a little more (and the bulbs were free with a credit at the parts store).  But short of going to the HID headlight that's as good as it got.  And it wasn't good enough.

It was still the case that when riding at night I'd look for the interstate rather than stay away from it.  Just so I could ride with cage traffic and use their lights because they reached out so much farther than did my own.  Someone here suggested the optics in the 07 housing was better but a rep at the local parts counter told me it wasn't a new part number.  I rode an FLHX at night and personally didn't see much difference.  So it seemed fruitless to spend the money for the housing. 

All the while kept looking for alternatives that would do better than the Harley HID light for overall effect and cost/benefit.  That thing is just a lot of money to spend and still have to keep half the system halogen.  Kuryakyn and the other alternatives all had problems.  One Kuryakyn offering was simply ugly as sin.  Another uses a proprietary mounting ring that doesn't accept the decorative headlight rings so many of us like.  Most options required using an ignitor that was large enough that mounting would either need to be in front of the battery (not an option for me due to a little compressor for the air horn already living there).  And two ignitors for dual bulbs was just out of the question for reasons of size and heat generation.

Then about three weeks ago finally stumbled on to a vendor ( http://www.xtralights.com ) offering the normal generic HID retrofits and a new offering with a fully digital ignitor.  That changed everything.  Much less power draw on start up.  Much much less power draw during operation.  Almost immediate (.002 sec) firing of the bulb by the ignitor.  Almost no heat generation.  And, to make it all possible, the ignitors are small.

The power draw is such that NO NEW wiring is necessary.  No relay of the circuit and no step out of the headlight circuit during engine firing.  The only connection to the vehicle is just plugging your stock headlight socket in to the power leads for the ignitor.  That's it.

This company's standard HID upgrade kits were competitive to a bit cheaper in price than the rest of the market.  These units with the digital ignitor were, of course, more expensive than the alternative.  They're not cheap.  Two complete kits to install HID in both high and low beam cost about $500.00.  But that's about what the Harley light cost and with it you've only got one HID bulb for low beam.  Evne though you're firing both bulbs at the same time you're still reaching out with a halogen for high beam. 

The Harley kit is also a bit of a chore to install.  Most have talked of removing or at least raising the tank to neatly complete the install.  Not counting removing and reinstalling the fairing installation of both of these kits took about 25 minutes total (even inside my fairing).

A couple of the members here knew this little task was coming and have ask for illustrations of the install.  To pave the way for their own installations.  So, here goes:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 03:18:02 AM »

You start with a kit.  The digital ignitors are generic and work with all the bulbs.  The only difference inside is which bulb gets packaged.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 03:19:44 AM »

The generic ignitor.  Note the red and black bare leads.  Each kit includes a headlight and socket and terminals to match your application.  So you install those plugs on this wire pair.  Then all you have to do is plug your existing headlight power socket in to the newly installed socket on the ignitor. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 03:21:14 AM »

HID bulb.  The company offers many many different headlight bulb options.  So matching up to your (car or) bike application shouldn't be a problem.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 03:22:06 AM »

Two HID bulbs (H9 and H11) in the dual bulb element.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 03:24:32 AM »

I was fortunate to have the mounting brackets that were part of the Hawg Wired amplifier installation already in place.  The ignitors are small enough and thin enough they could mount easily on the back side of those brackets.  Two sided tape is supplied.  I used wire ties also to make sure.

If the brackets and amp parts were out of the way there would be plenty of room to mount them against the inside of the inner fairing.  The company also supplies generic mounting brackets as part of their kit.  So you've got a variety of options.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 03:25:28 AM »

In place.  One like this on each side.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 03:32:32 AM »

The SEEGs came stock with a single element headlamp.  So we've got a single headlight socket.

The dual light kit includes the housing, bulbs and a pigtail that plugs in to the single socket to then give you two separate sockets for each bulb.

You could use the sockets supplied with the HID light kits to make the ignitors plug and play in to those sockets on the end of the pigtail.  I had an old headlight socket in my tool box, however, that I could use to make a custom pigtail on the end of the ignitor harnesses.  One power wire from each ignitor to the high and low beam wires respectively and bring the two ground leads together.  With that I could do away with the dual bulb pigtail completely.  Plug the new custom ignitor pigtail directly into the single bulb socket on the bike and, in so doing, eliminate two complete sets of connectors in the circuit.

This just made it more efficient and neater for my particular installation.  You could use the stock plugs if you've got dual bulb to begin with.  If you've still got a single bulb element they've got a HID kit for that application too.  To get high and low beam I think I remember reading that it did have a slightly more involved wiring installation.  But even that didn't look at all difficult.  And you could still have HID function on both high and low beam.  This is the two ignitors wired together to one headlight plug that I then plugged in to the bike's headlight power socket to power the entire HID system.  One simple connection and not a single wire or connector on the bike was altered in any way.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 03:54:52 AM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 03:35:26 AM »

Once it's all installed and tidied up you're adding so little new harness that it blends in to the background noise.  Since the sockets for the bulbs (the sockets with the yellow sealing bands in the picture) are the same for each bulb I went ahead and printed up a label to denote high or low beam.  Just in case someone besides me ever takes the fairing off.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 03:36:10 AM »

The connections to the bulbs themselves.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 03:36:55 AM »

Low beam HID.  Just like we could always accomplish with the HD offering.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 03:38:17 AM »

High beam HID.  That's new  :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 03:42:09 AM »

Didn't start working on this until about 12:30 this evening.  After it was done took it out for a short cold ride around town.  First impressions were very positive.  It seems to do a great job and is a distinct and noticable improvement over the H9 (PIAA high beam) bulbs that were in both sockets before. 

I did not get out on the highway tonight to see how far the light really stretches out.  It is going to be a big improvement though.  I already know that much for sure.  Just have to wait to find out how much.

As can be seen from the low beam photo above, however, now I need to find some spotlight bulbs with a blue tint to them.  Anyone got any ideas  :nixweiss: ?

Summary of the install would point out that there is apparently little or no heat issue with these ignitors.  I left one of the lights on in the garage for just under 10 minutes while the fairing was still loose.  Reached in to touch the ignitor with my hand and it wasn't even warm.  So at least at this point I'm not worrying about this as a potential issue.

Engine start up power draw measurements were fine.  No worries there.  Overall system draw once fired with these lights is so much less than the stockers that there is a side benefit of this installation.  Previously with the heated seat, heated jacket, heated gloves, radio, amplifier and other normal things turned on I had to run with the high beam headlight.  Running with the low beam (higher wattage bulb) and spotlights all but maxed out the charging system.  Not quite, but almost.  Enough so that I was considering rotor and stator alternatives.  With these lights running their draw is so much less I'll have reserve capacity again.  And a fair amount too. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 03:57:07 AM by Twolanerider »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 03:46:36 AM »

Nice install 2ln. Thanks for the heads up & report.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 03:51:18 AM »

Nice install 2ln. Thanks for the heads up & report.

Thanks.  It was fortunately a simple little chore to guinea pig out.  Actually took longer to post it all here and jig the pictures than it did to do the work.  Hopefully seeing how easy was the chore and knowing of the available alternatives will let our interested friends consider it more strongly.  Because these pigs need some help at night.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 21 queries.