Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble  (Read 14423 times)

boiler

• FLHRSEI.ORG
High Speed Wobble
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:29:18 PM »

Has anyone experianced (or know of someone who has ) a high speed weave aka high speed wobble aka tank slapper with their bike? Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
Re: High Speed Wobble
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 06:54:03 PM »

Yes...tire pressures first...then make sure the bike is aligned....(see shop manual) then proper neck bearing adjustment .."fall away" (see shop manual).  When you are sure all is well..invest in either a True-Trac  or Ridestr8 . Do a search here.  Both are devices that keep the rear tire from steering the bike since our baggers are not anchored for side to side deflection in the rear.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:18:20 PM »

This one has been around before and the opinions were somewhat varied - one that I kinda felt had some credence was (even it sounds crazy and totally contrary to nature) to relax your grip on the bars and allow the wobble to decline naturally rather than trying to "tough it out" and end up having the bike spit you off.

There's various stories about class actions and the Highway Patrol guy who was killed etc etc but ultimately the vast majority of SEEG riders do not encounter this phenomenon so it's always going to be difficult to pinpoint a cause and therefore a cure.

One guy I personally spoke to (and respect) had experienced a total loss of control with an '05 SEEG
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 09:31:07 PM »

.................................................So what's the answer?

I guess it's got to be a mix of tyres, pressures, loading, suspension settings, screen height, experience of rider, road surface, weather/wind conditions, - you name it - it can affect how the bike responds to the inputs.

In my experience with FLH series Harleys - the heavier loaded they are the better they handle.

I ride 2 up with luggage and tow a trailer - never had a problem (ok ok - touch wood - I know)

I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer to a problem that does not manifest itself in every bike or is even consistently repeatable

I'm sure there will be others who have differing views however - Ride str8 and the other gizmo kinda depend on the uncertainty (and the discussion it provokes on sites like this and HTT) to generate sales - so isn't it going to be in their interest to foster this kind of doubt in people's minds?

There - I don't think I've answered the question - but I feel better.

Cheers

Dave
Dave,

I agree, there doesn't seem to be any one particular fix that anyone has been able to identify and verify.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 10:54:26 PM »

[highlight]In the meantime I'll stick to 10 over the limit for normal riding, and limit my triple digit blasts to straight line riding, hopefully out of sight of the local constables. [/highlight]

Sage advice indeed.... and ya might just live long enough to get another SE  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 10:54:58 PM by SEULTRA »

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 11:04:35 PM »

This has been a constant problem with my 04 SEEG and is getting worse.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 01:13:32 AM »

You can use the search feature.......I think there's probably two or three threads on this subject. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 08:57:20 AM »

Check your motor mounts,  especially the front one.

_Beagle [smiley=cherry.gif]
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 09:32:47 AM »

I second the mount suggestion.  Also, has anyone tried a steering damper on one of these things?  It's a pretty common item on sport bikes with steep fork angles.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 12:00:07 PM »

I second the mount suggestion.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 05:01:27 PM »

I second the mount suggestion.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 06:40:01 PM »

ive always felt more of a bounce then bounce wobble-up /down wobble wobble. i stiffened the shocks way up and this seems to stop the initial onset of that first bounce or dip that starts all that!

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »

My bike has had a weave on the high speed sweepers since it was new. I tightened the neck bearings, that helped some. I added a ride str8, that helped. Last week I was standing beside my bike when I started it and the engine seemed to jump quite a bit. I took it in and the front motor mount was broken. I had the new one put in and I can't believe how bad it shakes the bike at idle. I talked to a friend of mine who had the same problem on his ultra, and he noticed when his motor mount was replaced his bike shook a lot more at idle.
  Now I'm wondering if that front motor mount has been weak since the bike was new and broken for who knows how long, (the bike has 21000 mi).
  I know that the engine is held in alignment by the heim joints but I wonder if that weak/broken front mount contributed to my weave problems?
  I know that the new mount is a new design, maybe it's a lot stiffer than the old design. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
MObe

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 10:07:38 PM »

Found this old post on a JP Cycles rider forum, another vote for front end geometry being the root cause:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 10:31:51 PM »

Found this old post on a JP Cycles rider forum, another vote for front end geometry being the root cause:

2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 07:20:41 AM »

Yeah - I agree, great post.

I read the J&P article and noticed mention of raising/lowering the rear end to reduce the problem.

Which do we think it should it be - raise or lower?

I'm thinking lower since when I'm riding 2 up with luggage and a trailer I don't have the problem but this could just be because I'm riding slower...

I'm specifically thinking about what would work for an '05 SEEG - please feel free to make it as simple as you can - you will not insult my intelligence...

Cheers

Dave

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 08:05:49 AM »

Dave.....I really don't know if lowering the rear is the solution to the "wobble" problem, but I can relate the following.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 08:09:44 AM by BLM777 »

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 11:18:10 AM »

I'm reading this post with interest cause my new SEUC has this strange feel.  Never has gone into a wobble, but has an unstable feel at speeds over 55 or 60. My previous ride was an E-G with lowers, tourpack and big motor, so it has the same features as the SEUC, but it never had a shake, wobble, or a shimmy at any speed. The new bike makes me nervous that it's an accident waiting to happen.  I took it in this for the 1K dyno tune and mentioned the handleing problem. They said they would check all the usual culprits.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »

...........I read the J&P article and noticed mention of raising/lowering the rear end to reduce the problem.

Which do we think it should it be - raise or lower?................

Cheers

Dave
Dave,

You would want to lower the rear, or raise the front.  Either one would increase the rake slightly.

I've been thinking about raising the front on mine 1/2", since I've always felt the front end was soft, under-damped, and in need of help.  Just haven't gotten around to figuring out what I want to do in detail.  Probably cartridge type dampers plus progressive springs with an appropriately sized preload spacer to raise the front 1/2 inch.  Still just in the thought process at this point.

Jerry

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 11:35:54 AM »

Just picked up my Banana from the stealer yesterday. Took it in because of a wobble at about 80 - 85 mph. They replaced the front wheel and tire (no charge
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:37:22 AM by MJZ »

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »

The definitve cure for high spped wobble! I had it on my 04 SEEG. That bike is gone forvever and I lost 300 pounds ang gained 35 horsepower. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 05:13:40 PM »

Just picked up my Banana from the stealer yesterday. Took it in because of a wobble at about 80 - 85 mph. They replaced the front wheel and tire (no charge

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 06:22:47 PM »

The definitve cure for high spped wobble! I had it on my 04 SEEG. That bike is gone forvever and I lost 300 pounds ang gained 35 horsepower. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Hmmm - kinda dramatic cure for a wobbly Harley I'm thinking

Don't get me wrong, I've had 3 or 4 Beemers (hard to remember exactly - they weren't that memorable...)

Cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 06:24:31 PM by UK_Dave »

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »

Dave,

You would want to lower the rear, or raise the front.

CVO-RIDER

• Junior CVO Member
  • So many roads to ride. OH wait there's work
    • CA

• CVO1: SERK 2002 Purple
    • CVO2: SED 2004 Blue sold
    • CVO3: SEEG 2005 Red sold
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 10:43:30 PM »

Has anyone experianced (or know of someone who has ) a high speed weave aka high speed wobble aka tank slapper with their bike? Any ideas on how to fix the problem?
I had progressive 440s installed when I got to Sturgis last year & it helped but didn't fix the wobble issue. Than last December I had 18" wheels with metezler tires installed & have not had A problem since. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]|GOOD BYE WOBBLE!!!!!!!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

hogasm

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 06:55:54 PM »

If I take the lowers off the bike has a high speed wobble. With them on, rides great.

On the wifes 06 Street Glide, installed a lowering kit from Harley in the front forks. That bike rides much better than my 2004 SEEG. Dealer says the 06's have a newly designed front forks. I am seriously considering replacing the forks on my 04 with the new 06 forks.

Rode the wifes Street Glide to Daytona with lowers installed and experienced no high speed wobble.

Dont know if anyone has heark of Dave Wimmer? He was involved in an accident when his Harley went into a high speed wobble. According to the guys at fatbaggers it has taken him a few months to recover.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 07:21:55 PM »

hogasm, there are plenty of 06 bikes with the same problem, so before you spend a bunch of coin on new forks, do some more checking.  I do like how the new 06 bike doesn't dive when braking though.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 07:26:45 PM »

There are law suits settled out of court with HD on high speed wobble and related accidents - it is inherant - known about - blown over by HD and left to owners to deal with by paying out of pocket to correct THEIR mistake and ACCIDENT PROWN EQUIPMENT.There is a fix - but YOU have to pay for Harley Davidson design to correct this problem. God I love this life.
This has gone on since day 1 with this vehicle - come HD  - step up to the plate and deal with YOUR customers. We have long been blown over  - left behind, and answering all the monthy surveys do not correct this design problem that YOU know about. WE ARE THE ELITE.
Hiring a company to do outside surveys tells me that someone does not know what the hell is going on - yes I am for hire with a serous customer service background and all PHD and PACE test up to date. Ride a bananna with over 23,800 miles on her that I bought last year (look in the first one to own a yellow on this forum).
SHE IS DAM NEAR FOR SALE ON HOW HD BACKS THEIR CUSTOMERS - LOOKING FOR A YAMAHA - MINE IS FOR SALE

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
  • 05 SE Glide,,,niceeee eeeeee
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2006, 07:25:39 AM »

Jerry and Dave....

This is my 3rd bagger starting with a 98, an 02 and this 05 CVO. The CVO has 12.5 inch Progressive shocks, standard springs, dialed in about 6 turns or so.

The common thing in all of them were what you two were discussing as far as the sweeping curves and high speed stuff.

This past Sunday, I jumped on an on ramp with the 05, ran it pretty hard thru the gears and leaning to the right following the curve in the ramp, probably going 80 or a tad higher.  Yup!!  there it was again, a slow wobble.

I had it up to 115 one time, 110,,,smooth as silk, 115, whoaaaaa....started out as a nice slow wobble.  I backed off and haven't been over 110 since.  I was just happy as a clam it didn't go into a tank slapper.

In both cases, the wobble was slow, a slight side to side movement of the bars.  Just enough warning to tell me I am outta my element.

My cure is what Jerry suggested, slow down.  I was thinking of a true track or the equivalent, now i see someone here tried one of those to no avail.  I figure if I want to go that fast,,,Id better buy a bike thats built for those speeds.   But I know deep down inside, I'll probably try that true track just for giggles.

Tom

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 08:22:31 AM »

Thanks Tom - I guess you and Jerry are right - the fix is to reduce speed [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

But of course we all like to know we are riding something with no faults or problems (perfectionists perhaps) so I guess it will continue to gnaw away at us until we do something about it.

I hope I can exercise enough restraint that it doesn't become a problem for me - as I said before it's only really when I am riding solo that it's going to be an issue - with the missus on the back I suddenly acquire an automatic speed limiter - know what I mean ;)

On the old RK she couldn't see the speedo but with the SEEG it's right up there in plain view

Cheers

Dave

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 08:36:03 AM »

I'm still intrigued by the steering stabilizer idea.  I was looking around on the 'net and noticed that some of the trike places have an accessory stabilizer for their 3 wheelers.  Now I'd like to see one installed to see how it's mounted.  Just looking on my bike, I can't see a simple way to do it.

Jerry

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 11:05:11 AM »

Dont know if anyone has heark of Dave Wimmer? He was involved in an accident when his Harley went into a high speed wobble. According to the guys at fatbaggers it has taken him a few months to recover.
Rumor has it that it was due to the self installed 300? tire kit that he was running. Again just rumor. Wimmer is no dummy and I couldn't see him screwing up an installation like that. That was a nice bike he was on. I believe it happened in Sturgis?.!

I was talking to a guy a day or so ago who had a wobble in his bike and he thought it was the front wheel so he had it re-balanced to no avail. Under a hunch he did the back wheel next and he claims that that was the problem. I've given some thought to it and and I guess it's possible.

For me it's not a high speed wobble but rather a low speed no hands on the bars wobble. Balanced the front wheel again and now I'm going to try the rear as I usually don't balance rears. This thread has me thinking to check a few different things such as neck bearings.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 03:44:43 PM »

I am sitting here counting my blessings! Bought my 04 seeg 3 weeks ago with 2,500 miles on it. Dealer let me take it on a test ride before purchase (real smart?) Among other 'things' I did was take it onto I-75 for a little run at 110 on a real gentle sweeper. No problems.  Then I shook the bars at 80, trying to induce a wobble or shake, because I'd never ridden with a batwing fairing before...wanted to compare it to my 96 RK.  All this BEFORE I found this site. Holy COW!  :o

I am totally happy with the stability at that high speed (won't do that again) and at cruising speed, 75+-.  I can lock cruise on at about 35 mph and steer no-hands around quiet streets (that's dumb, too).  
I've also found the fairing only slightly influencing with strong cross winds, and seems like a stabilizer in headwinds, as compared to the RK windshield.
I love this site!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] If only I could catch up with all the reading!
Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 04:00:32 PM »

Hey Garz, welcome to the 'site'.  Sounds like you got a great scooter......it's not quite as 'fast' as the b&b SEEG, but great none-the-less!  har!  Oh, and my SEEG is hands-off steering stable for miles on end too......I agree, not smart, but convenient at times.  har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »

Hey Garz, glad you're not having any problems yet, but keep an eye on it.  Mine was rock steady until around 7,500 miles.  

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2006, 07:46:27 AM »

Hey Garz, glad you're not having any problems yet, but keep an eye on it.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2006, 10:02:02 AM »

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2006, 10:59:44 AM »

Guess what came back today? :'( Yep, the wobble showed back up at around 75 - 78 mph. Have the ride str8 on the shelf and was in no hurry to install but I guess I'll put it on tonight.

Your avatar shows the bike w/o the tour pak.
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2006, 11:03:34 AM »

Your avatar shows the bike w/o the tour pak.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2006, 11:32:40 PM »

Way to go there, Don........

Dag nabbit Spyder.  That was 103 screwing with the newbie; not me.  I was innocent for once!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2006, 07:44:20 AM »

Dag nabbit Spyder.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2006, 11:25:51 AM »

I apoligize for that.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2006, 11:43:45 AM »

A life of innocence and purity as the driven snow all shot to hell by innuendo and rumor.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2006, 02:52:29 PM »

Yeah, no sheet.  I feel like a virgin who's just seen what "IT" actually is.  [smiley=shocked2.gif]
But you ain't gonna scare me... no sir. So many Electra Glides out there seem to be riding just fine. Highway trip coming up Sunday... first one with the seeg.  [smiley=jalapeno.gif]

Thanks for the 'welcome' Spyder! Interesting about the b&b vs. o&b speed claims. Had I known. . .

Well, unless I win the lotto [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] or the bike gets stolen, I'll be on it for years to come, 'cause if I like it I keep it for a long time. 76,500 on the 96 RK... think the punkin will make that?
Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2006, 03:26:39 PM »

Yeah, no sheet.

JCHAROS

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2006, 11:38:34 PM »

i have the same feeling any solution yet please keep me posted i was afaid to go 95 because of the insabilty
A GOAL WITHOUT  A PLAN IS NOTHING BUT A DREAM

JCHAROS

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2006, 06:29:19 AM »

please let me know what they find out

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2006, 09:14:03 AM »

In the Chicago Sun Times news paper yesterday the moco is getting sued for a wobble accident that left a 44 year old brain damaged. [smiley=pumpkin.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif]
hdnut

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2006, 09:47:33 AM »

In the Chicago Sun Times news paper yesterday the moco is getting sued for a wobble accident that left a 44 year old brain damaged. [smiley=pumpkin.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif]
Wonder to what speed the MOCO would be held legally responsible for providing a stable/no wobble ride?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  spyder

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2006, 09:52:03 AM »

Wonder to what speed the MOCO would be held legally responsible for providing a stable/no wobble ride?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 09:53:39 AM by Rjob749 »

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2006, 11:52:13 AM »

Rjob thanks for finding the news article . [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
hdnut

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2006, 03:31:50 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, hdnut,
  Interesting article, Man!  While every Life is precious, and our Mental Faculties priceless, it saddens me to read, of yet another Rider sustaining permanent injuries as a result of the passion we all enjoy.  I have empathy for this person, in his efforts to seek judgment against the MoCo., regarding his current, and most likely, permanent condition.  I really feel sorry for Him, his Family, and his Employees.  However, in cases such as this, it is my belief his Attorney will be the only winner.  Too many variables involved.  As we are all pretty savy to some of these variables, such as tire pressure, road conditions, suggested maintenance, to mention a few, I promise you the MoCo's Attorneys know all of them.  Please don't confuse my confidence in the MoCo's ability to defend itself in matters of Product Liability, as being callous to this Man's pitiful state.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.  JMO.  Later--HUBBARD        
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

1bagger

• Trailers are for boats Bikes are meant to be riden
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 08:28:21 PM »

Has any one gone from standard ride height to a lowered ride and noticed any differance at high speed ? I think there could be something to it.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 09:20:19 PM »

Has any one gone from standard ride height to a lowered ride and noticed any differance at high speed ? I think there could be something to it.

I have and it makes no difference. If anything a lowered bike would be more stable. Head bearing, tire pressure, and allignment would be the factors I would keep an eye on. Wind speed and direction could also play a role!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 09:33:13 PM »

What do I suggest?
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2006, 09:34:53 PM »

Check your motor mounts,
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2006, 09:40:46 PM »

Dave,

You would want to lower the rear, or raise the front.
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2006, 10:16:50 PM »

Gentlemen, Gentlemen,
  It's simple.  Best ideas always are.  Remove Lowers, and sell to someone.  Install Hi-way pegs, right above bottom curvature, in staight part of Crash bar, or Engine Guard, if you will.  Go through the gears, and when you get in 5th, or 6th, whatever you have, place your left foot upon the left hi-way peg, your right foot flat on the right floorboard, and proceed to the maximum speed your nerve will endure.  Works for me.  NO MORE WOBBLE!  It's aerodynamics, pure and simple.  While all of ya'll are bitchin' to your Dealers Sevice Dept., who don't know chit about it most of the time anyway, and checking tire pressures, and puttin' enough grease in your gooseneck to grease a Dozer, I'll be In The Wind, runnin' a 130 MPH, laid back like a Mescan in a Lo' Rider, smilin' like a 'Possum eatin' gooseberries! ;D  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2006, 10:27:16 PM »

Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2006, 10:31:31 PM »

[smiley=worthless.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2006, 10:48:09 PM »

[highlight]Wonder to what speed the MOCO would be held legally responsible for providing a stable/no wobble ride? [/highlight]

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2006, 11:10:07 PM »

i hit the freeway onramp today-long righthand sweeper at about 75 mph. the  [smiley=banana.gif] shook its head pretty good. got my attention!! anyone with any new ideas on this subject. its disheartening for those of us that have had it happen a few times. i do have the ride str8 and everything is in tip top shape. straightaways are not an issue [smiley=nixweiss.gif] :o

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2006, 09:47:11 AM »

i hit the freeway onramp today-long righthand sweeper at about 75 mph. the
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:59:17 AM by 04hd103 »

JCHAROS

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2006, 10:03:02 AM »

i agree completely i have had the neck bearing adjusted and i also travel at high rates of speed it seems that if the wind is blowing the wrong way the instabily gets worse, i orded ride straigh and and i hope thgere will be a difference , also is there a difference between the 06 and 05 front end does anyone know

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2006, 10:12:55 AM »

i agree completely i have had the neck bearing adjusted and i also travel at high rates of speed it seems that if the wind is blowing the wrong way the instabily gets worse, i orded ride straigh and and i hope thgere will be a difference , also[highlight] is there a difference between the 06 and 05 front end does anyone know[/highlight]
JCHAROS,

The '04&'05 SEEGS had the Profile lowered suspension that Harley sells as an accessory, lowered one inch at both ends.  The forks had both legs set up with regular damper rods, as opposed to the one leg damper rods, other leg cartridge damper setup on a stock bike.  The '06 CUSE has the same forks as the standard Ultra, not the lowered version.

Jerry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2006, 10:23:09 AM »

Go to this link and scroll down to Steering Stabilizer.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2006, 03:00:33 PM »

after the last wobble i decided to ck out the bike closely. tire psi ok but when i tried to grease steering neck bearings i pumped and pumped maybe fifty or sixty times before the gease came out at bottom and top. i did buy the special grease for this from hd. so obviously the neck had little or no grease in it! please check yours!! [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2006, 08:54:14 PM »

Vanamal-I found out the same thing about the lubing of the steering neck (about a month ago).  I bought HD's grease for the touring model, pumped about 10-12 pumps and nothing came out at either end of the neck.  I PM's HDdude and he said it was common to use a lot of grease-he said keep pumping.  I pumped nearly 3/4 of a tube of grease before the grease came out the upper and lower bearings.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2006, 12:23:32 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Boatman,
  You're gonna' have a mess to clean up!  First hot day it's parked, you're gonna' think your fork tube seals are leakin'!  You're bound to have a gob of grease around your bottom triple tree!  Look, my Brother, and govern yourself accordingly! ;)  Later-- HUBBARD    

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2006, 07:54:29 AM »

My personal opinion is the front end is way too soft, look at the springs and and fluids.

Go back and read BLMs post.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2006, 10:13:38 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Boatman,

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2006, 04:02:49 PM »

After the 1st 10-12 pumps I emailed HD-Dude as I figured the same thing (pumping grease up to the handlebars).  He said keep pumping and I did.  Finally the grease came out between the frame neck and the upper and lower bearings at the same time.  I just had my outer fairing off to install the infamous oil temperature gauge and there was no grease where it shouldn't have been.  Like Vanamal, I used HD's grease.  The funny thing is a softail takes different grease than a touring.

HARLEYBILL

• Junior CVO Member
  • Vietnam Vet. 4th & 25th Infantry Divisions.
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2006, 10:08:40 PM »

MOBE:
I found that the "idle shake / vibration" increased when I installed the STR-8. The engine has less dance room because you've harnessed the rear wiggle room. If you disconnect it you will feel much less vibration at idle but the benefits (in my opinion) are worth it.
I've often wondered if the install hastens the breakdown of the front mount? I'm still ok on my factory mount but only have 9,000 miles.
2009 FLTR
H/D Tuner,V/H Monster Ovals
That's all you need brother!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2006, 11:03:43 PM »

Just curious, how many of the bikes with the shakes have fairing air deflectors mounted on them?  I was utterly surprised on my trip to Memphis land back ast weekend that on a nice, lightly traveled two-lane road I found while trying to avoid some weather, I was able to really wind the bike up (90+ mph) through some sweeping turns without much of a wobble at all.  The only difference in my bike from times before . . . . . . I had removed my fairing air deflectors, the ones that mount with the three thumbscrews on the inside bottom of the fairing, for the warmer weather we'd had here a couple weeks ago.

I wouldn't have believed that could make such a difference if I hadn't experienced it myself. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2006, 12:50:32 AM »

B...I took mine off (the lexan "wings" with the thumbscrews) yesterday before my ride of 80 miles.  I'm not experiencing a wobble, because I haven't run at those speeds yet due to break-in, but I could definitely tell a difference in how the wind blast effected the front end of the bike with those two little things off....seemed more aerodynamic, IMO.  I know the Ultra is different in some ways, but it did seem to make a difference.  Plus, it felt better on my knees too!!  The fork mounted fairing lets you know when you hit some turbulent air!  I can run my Ducati up to 120 with no problem other than side gusts.  
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2006, 06:46:39 AM »

My husband has changed from the HD fixed fairing air deflectors to the freedom wings, which open up and allows him to point air at him, and he as no problems, but I still have my fixed fairing air deflectors on. I still get the wobble at 90 +.  I guess I better try taking them off, cause from time to time I have the wobble. SInce I am now aware of it, it no longer takes me by surprise, and I can wiggle around in the seat and change the way it is.  Also find a difference with the lower fairing vents open and closed.  

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2006, 08:47:03 PM »

thats the idea using the special hd neck grease. its not supposed to ooze out like some others do. we will see soon!! [smiley=banana.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, VANAMAL,  
  Is it "soon", yet?  That's the same chit they told me.  They'll lie to you about other things, too. ;)  Later--HUBBARD

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2006, 04:33:16 PM »

JCHAROS,

The '04&'05 SEEGS had the Profile lowered suspension that Harley sells as an accessory, lowered one inch at both ends.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2006, 04:38:37 PM »

Jorge...no, the '06 is not lowered like the 04's and 05's were.  Standard height (at least the shocks and forks.

I'm 5'8", but don't have a problem with the height of the bike.  I mean, an inch lower is NOT going to help me hold it up, if I screw up and let it get past "that point"....it's going over.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2006, 04:41:18 PM »

So the '06 doesn't have the rear lowered suspension?...I noticed that I was seated ( I am 5'7")more closer to the ground in my previous '04 than in the '06......
That's a heavy scooter to be backing out of a parking spot on your tippy-toes, huh?  [smiley=worried.gif] Better lower the rear, at least... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]...spyder

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2006, 04:44:51 PM »

Dave.....I really don't know if lowering the rear is the solution to the "wobble" problem, but I can relate the following.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2006, 05:08:47 PM »

Jorge...no, the '06 is not lowered like the 04's and 05's were.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:10:33 PM by jegomez »

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »

That's a heavy scooter to be backing out of a parking spot on your tippy-toes, huh?

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2006, 05:12:20 PM »

That's a heavy scooter to be backing out of a parking spot on your tippy-toes, huh?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:12:44 PM by jegomez »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2006, 05:20:45 PM »

How spyder? changing the shocks? Similar to those in the "04 & '05? Or Progressive 440? Thanks my buddy...
Well, like BLM777 and many others on this site have changed to the Progressives and as far as I can remember, most were very pleased with the results.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:22:05 PM by spydglide »

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »

Well, like BLM777 and many others on this site have changed to the Progressives and as far as I can remember, most were very pleased with the results.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2006, 05:47:17 PM »

I would like to go the Legend...but is expensive and my wife is killing me!! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]...but anyway I have to consider to do something because we have scheduled a long rideto Canada in September (From West Palm, FL to Ottawa, Canada....roundtrip) [smiley=drink.gif]
Well, that gives you plenty of time......maybe you could find a 'deal' on some take offs from someone who changed out the inch lower HD ones that came  on the '04 and '05 SEEGs......(I traded mine to the dealer)...but check ebay and put a notice on this board under the wanted to buy section......who knows?  good luck and have fun on the ride to the North.  [smiley=santa.gif] har!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] spyder

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »

Well, that gives you plenty of time......maybe you could find a 'deal' on some take offs from someone who changed out the inch lower HD ones that came

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2006, 07:46:08 PM »

GOMEZ
YOU HAVE A PM [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2006, 03:07:38 AM »

From one of the local riders (non CVO) who just managed to get back from a 4 state trip in one piece. All was good until on the way back from Santa Ana (Los Angeles area) all by himself until he bailed off an Eltra Glide @ about 60 mph. He was extremely lucky, he only got a lot of road rash{no leather jacket}  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]a broken collarbone, and a few stitches.  

Here's what he said in his email:

"The bike just started to wobble which escalated into a tank slap and threw me off while going straight on highway near San Bernadino. I suspect that it was a combination of the road conditions and something being not quite right with the bike. I have had it checked several times during the last few thousand miles for vibration at high speed. The stem bearing was replaced about 5k miles before the accident. The root cause for vibration was found be be a broken engine rubber mount (at 4000 miles before the accident). The front end (stem) was readjusted about 2500 miles before the accident. The swing arm and tire pressures were checked before the trip to AZ, UT and NV. I'll get the bike back this Saturday and it will be thoroughly checked to see if some obvious fault can be found. The bike did not hit anything (but the road) and should be repairable, but obviously I need to be convinced that it can be fully restored for safe riding. We'll see. "

This stuff is happening on too regular a basis.    [smiley=soapbox.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2006, 09:39:02 PM »

From one of the local riders (non CVO) who just managed to get back from a 4 state trip in one piece. All was good until on the way back from Santa Ana (Los Angeles area) all by himself until he bailed off an Eltra Glide @ about 60 mph. He was extremely lucky, he only got a lot of road rash{no leather jacket}

lucky1

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2006, 10:41:15 PM »

I got a new H-D in 1968, and it used to shake its head at high speeds. An old boy (now I is one)back then told me not to pull on the bars to try to stop the shake, but to push on them. It works.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2006, 11:04:37 PM »

I got a new H-D in 1968, and it used to shake its head at high speeds. An old boy (now I is one)back then told me not to pull on the bars to try to stop the shake, but to push on them. It works.
Hey Lucky1, my ole knucklehead used to go into a pretty violent shake sometimes when I'd be running 'er too hard and I couldn't think to pull or push, just 'hang on' and try to stay on the bit*h.  [smiley=stunned.gif] har!  spyder

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2006, 01:49:30 AM »

Hey Lucky1, my ole knucklehead used to go into a pretty violent shake sometimes when I'd be running 'er too hard and I couldn't think to pull or push, just 'hang on' and try to stay on the bit*h.

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2006, 07:26:55 AM »

Hey Spyder, I had a girlfriend just like that one time......just stayed on and rode it out till she settled down!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 07:27:14 AM by 103tHunDer »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2006, 08:18:42 AM »

[smiley=shocked2.gif]

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2006, 08:49:21 AM »

[smiley=shocked2.gif]

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »

I did, and years down the road we split up and the divorce was VERY expensive, but man what a ride  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] It takes more than a great ride to do 24/7.
I mean we can't do it on two wheels either, 24/7 I mean  :)

Pana-guy

• A day on the road is better than 2 in the office!
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2006, 05:52:28 PM »

Folks,

I have a cherry
2005 H-D FLHTCSE2 (Red SEEG)
2004 BMW R1200C Montauk
2004 BMW 330CIC Convertible

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2006, 09:15:51 PM »

A little over a year ago I had a high speed wobble on my 04 SEEG, (posted the experience somewhere on the site). It was a violent wobble (tank slapper) that started at 160 kph on a straight section of road. I managed to hang on and didn
Darrell

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2006, 10:50:09 PM »

Darrell,

Its good to hear from you, its been a very long time. Sorry to see your problem has yet to be resolved. Hope this will do it, so you can feel confident in riding your very nice bike.

Forgot to mention, don't think it is an HD recommendation, however I have the Race Tech Emulators in the front forks and Progressive Suspension in the rear.

This is in my 03 Road Glide, different suspension I think than the SEEGs. Also, I am now running a JIMs 120.

Take care.

geezerglide
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 10:53:44 PM by geezerglide »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2006, 12:49:10 AM »

Hey Darrell,

Good to see you back posting on the site!  It's been almost a year since we ran into each other at Street Vibes.  While I have the stock suspension, I changed to a 15w fork oil and progressive 440s in the rear.  The bike handles incredibly!  Much better than stock.  The front oil changed the handling from a Buick to a BMW, and the bike is a LOT more stable at speed.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2006, 09:49:25 AM »

DARELL-Glad your back. that was a beautiful bmw you were riding in reno last sept. ive had several wobbles and one tank slapper. the last two things ive done seem to have helped. last 5000 miles no wobble. i greased the front neck. it took half a tube. then i put on the metzler 880s. bikes been riding great. you issues may go beyond this and hd should resolve it. you may need to push a little harder. its not a good feeling having no confidence in your bike
vanamal

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2006, 10:14:59 AM »

Darrell, great to hear from you.  I hope that you've got your home back together after the flood.  I think that was the last time that we talked.

I can't believe that HD is leaving your bike on the road.  If you ever do go down, as a result of the handling problems, you've certainly got more then enough documentation to show that they're neglagent.  Too bad you're not here, you could make them buy it back under the lemon law. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  It's just a really sad situation and I thought for sure that they'd have resolved it for you by now or bought the bike back.

Whatever they're (HD) suggesting, I sure hope that they're paying for all these hoccus-poccus ideas and changes.  Keep us posted.  

Are we going to see you in Street Vibrations this year?  You're missed here on this site!

J.C.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2006, 10:53:19 AM »

Thanks guys for the feedback. I haven't been posting much over the last year because I lost interest in the bike. I'm keen again and determined to get this fixed. I am planning on going to the Vegas and Reno events and have told the dealer that if I have to ride the BMW again this year then they can keep the dam bike.

Changed the front fork oil to the screamin eagle heavier oil. Tried the progressive 440's - made no difference so we put a new set of factory air shocks on it. Neck bearing greased and inspected (several times), fall away, Metzler 880's on front and rear, engine alignment, rear wheel alignment, rebuilt front forks, swingarm bushings changed, swingarm stabilizer installed, engine mounts checked, front & rear wheels checked, every combination of rear air shock pressure and tire pressures tried, rear belt / sprocket inspected, rotors checked, ......

Because the problem is much more noticable when 1-up vs. 2-up, I even tried adding wieght to the bike in the saddlebags. I am 150 lbs so I added another 40 Lbs - 20 in each saddlebag positioned at the front of the bags. Didn't make any difference.

All the work is being done under warranty but I would gladly pay someone for a solution that works. Hope to make the trip but if the bike isn't fixed then I will postpone until next year. Not that I don't enjoy the BMW but I would rather take the SEEG.
Darrell

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2006, 11:01:37 AM »

Darrell, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having these serious problems with your SEEG.  Thanks for coming back and posting so that we may all benefit from your experiences (frustrations) in trying to resolve the problem/issues.  I'm hoping that maybe the people assigned from the MOCO would read your posts and maybe take pro-active intervention in helping resolve your situation.  Please keep us up-dated whatever the outcome and GOOD LUCK!  spyder

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2006, 09:18:53 PM »

Bummer about the bike,  looks like they are runnimg out of things to change short of a new bike.  Glad to see you back.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2006, 10:42:42 PM »

A little over a year ago I had a high speed wobble on my 04 SEEG, (posted the experience somewhere on the site). It was a violent wobble (tank slapper) that started at 160 kph on a straight section of road. I managed to hang on and didn

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2006, 10:10:35 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, it sure is great to have your opinions. I have the bike back now and intend to test ride it over the weekend. The dealer is very confident that they have solved it, in fact both the owner and the lead wrench have test rode the bike for a couple of days both in the sweepers and at the higher speeds. They haven't installed the springs yet and with any luck it won't be required although from what your saying Jerry, it might be something worthwhile just to increase the level of stability.

What was it? After going through the bike from one end to the other making adjustements and changes, it turns out it was the wiring harnesses. The harnesses were too tight and restricting the front end movement. Apparently it was not something that was obvious in the shop as the restrictions only affected handling once the chassis was heat soaked and there was some flex at the higher speeds and in the sweepers. They rerouted some of the harnesses and swear it made a huge difference in the handling. I haven't test rode the bike yet so I will reserve my judgement until after I ride it. Once I ride it and confirm that there are no more handling issues I will get all the details on what to check and what the fix was and post it here.

There isn't much one can do here in Canada re consumer protection laws. We don't have an equivalent to the "Lemon Law". It's been frustrating but I know the dealer has put a lot of effort into resolving my handling issues and there is little doubt in my mind that in the end if they couldn't resolve it they would look after me.

Off on another test ride, I hope they got it this time.
Darrell

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2006, 10:14:55 AM »

Hey Darrell, I sure hope they fixed it (although, I admit, it sounds a tad strange at this point to think a too tight wiring harness was causing the problems you were describing) .....  anyway, hope it's good and you'll report the same......we'll be waiting to hear more.  :-/ spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2006, 03:21:44 PM »

I guess anything is possible. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Darrell you've mentioned in a PM to me and here on this thread that the dealership has really gone out of their way to make it right for you.....please be sure to share the dealership name for any of us that will be up that way.  We need to recognize those dealerships that are a postive thing.

I hope this does it for you and that we see you in Reno in a couple weeks......this time on a SEEG!  Hell, you'll probably still run off and leave me like you did on your BMW last year..... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

West Coast GTG   

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2006, 07:23:37 PM »

It
Darrell

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2006, 07:39:17 PM »

Darrel, as long as this has dragged on it seems congrats go out all around to you for your patience, to you again for finally having a bike you feel safe and happy with, and to the dealer for sticking with it.  Congrats on getting her buttoned up and stable underneath you.  You've certainly earned it.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »

Thanks for the extensive report, Darrell.  I'm glad to hear that the bike is handling so good.....sounds like you are a happy Eagle owner now!  ;) har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2006, 08:46:49 PM »

WFO!= [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] ;)Later--HUBBARD

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2006, 09:21:24 PM »

Hey Hub, you better be looseing up your wiring, son, so you'll get rid of that sneaky-snake wobble that occurs in ole Maudie's gait when she gets to strollin'.... ;)...Har!  ;D spyder

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2006, 11:52:47 PM »

darrell has some patience! i know hes been trying to get that resolved since last year at street vibes. hopefuly he will share with us wobblers what was done. [smiley=banana.gif]

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2006, 03:54:24 AM »

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] ;)  Great news Darrell.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I too have been watching all the threads about wobble.  I have had an illusive wobble that keeps getting fixed, then sneaks slowly back up again.  Every time ------ so far ------ the ever discussed neck bearing adjustment has fixed it.  So current that up to the latest hospital stay for fluid exchange this past week, I could not ride but for a fleeting second above 92 without feeling the beginnings of this nuicance.  Got the bike back on the road Saturday morning, and she is tracking ------- straight.  So straight, I can even remove my hands entirely from the handlebars and she takes a fraction of a second, then locks on a straight track all by itself.  It is just amazing to me how fininicky these bikes can be.  A wiring harness, a clutch cable, too much too little grease on neck bearings, too tight too loose neck bearings, a size 12 Hubbards boot on the engine guards, lower fairings on - off, tour pak on - off, windshield tall - short, tire pressure, shock pressure ------- so many variables.  I did not find an opportunity to push it past the 95 mph mark this weekend, but it feels so rock solid, I would not be having any concerns.  

I have new fluids, new rear tire, new rear brakes and am ready for MV!  Yeah!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2006, 08:39:24 AM »

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] ;)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2006, 08:52:05 AM »

Good to hear they finally got it fixed.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2006, 09:08:31 AM »

Darrell,

Fantastic news!

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2006, 09:29:40 AM »

Darrell,

It's about time!  Fantastic to hear that HD stuck with it and got the problem fixed, even if it took over a year!  Looking forward to seeing you at Street Vibes.  By the wy, did you ever do the Cabo ride that we talked about?
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2006, 10:58:42 AM »

After reading this thread I decided to check the bearings in both of ny bikes. The 05 RK just had it's 10K srvice and I pumped it for ever to fill it up. My O6 Glide that I bought in April I also pumped for ever to fill it up. I was so PSSED.

DR. Evil stopped by and we checked his. We ran out of grease and had to get another tube. One tube would not even do three bikes. Maint schedule is 1k and 10K for this. Tells me that the Dealers and MOCO are not greasing them.

VERY, VERY UPSET.  [smiley=soapbox.gif], But very thankful that I got this info from all of you.

Karl.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2006, 11:04:10 AM »

ditto- i pumped forever to fill mine. if you guys havnt done this-do it!. hd makes a spec neck bearing grease for this. its not supposed to leak out when hot-mine hasnt [smiley=banana.gif]

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »

ditto- i pumped forever to fill mine. if you guys havnt done this-do it!. hd makes a spec neck bearing grease for this. its not supposed to leak out when hot-mine hasnt [smiley=banana.gif]

Seems like every thing they make is special. I would like to find out what the equivelent is and save some $. It looks like a synthetic grease but not sure. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2006, 06:52:34 PM »

Seems like every thing they make is special. I would like to find out what the equivelent is and save some $. It looks like a synthetic grease but not sure. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I used regular Castrol LMX grease - pumped a whole lot in there and it hasn't run anywhere
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 06:58:38 PM by UK_Dave »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2006, 10:47:52 PM »

The "special" steering head grease is supposedly waterproof and is not supposed to run all over when hot.

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2006, 09:10:10 AM »

Thanks UK and GRC [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]. I think I will add the castrol to my list. Last Summer I do remember the RK leaking grease. The Glide did not because it never had any.

I have the flex hose on my grease gun, it is still a tight fit but it works.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2006, 12:30:37 PM »

but if it (greasing) should be done - they (the dealers) should be doing it

e

Just like doing the steering head fallaway check by disconnecting all of the wires and cables and seeing how many times the handlebars go back and forth, telling them if the neck bearings are adjusted correctly.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:32:00 PM by erniezap »
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2006, 02:15:30 PM »

Just like doing the steering head fallaway check by disconnecting all of the wires and cables and seeing how many times the handlebars go back and forth, telling them if the neck bearings are adjusted correctly.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:16:15 PM by BK »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2006, 03:04:12 PM »

You can also mark bolts to see if they've been moved (I do).  The only person that I trust other than myself to work on the bike is Jim (HD-Dude).  Goes to the dealer for warranty items only.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2006, 03:17:42 PM »

You can also mark bolts to see if they've been moved (I do).

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2006, 08:32:02 PM »

You can also mark bolts to see if they've been moved (I do).

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 21 queries.