Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble  (Read 14425 times)

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
Re: High Speed Wobble
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 07:20:41 AM »

Yeah - I agree, great post.

I read the J&P article and noticed mention of raising/lowering the rear end to reduce the problem.

Which do we think it should it be - raise or lower?

I'm thinking lower since when I'm riding 2 up with luggage and a trailer I don't have the problem but this could just be because I'm riding slower...

I'm specifically thinking about what would work for an '05 SEEG - please feel free to make it as simple as you can - you will not insult my intelligence...

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 08:05:49 AM »

Dave.....I really don't know if lowering the rear is the solution to the "wobble" problem, but I can relate the following.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 08:09:44 AM by BLM777 »

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 11:18:10 AM »

I'm reading this post with interest cause my new SEUC has this strange feel.  Never has gone into a wobble, but has an unstable feel at speeds over 55 or 60. My previous ride was an E-G with lowers, tourpack and big motor, so it has the same features as the SEUC, but it never had a shake, wobble, or a shimmy at any speed. The new bike makes me nervous that it's an accident waiting to happen.  I took it in this for the 1K dyno tune and mentioned the handleing problem. They said they would check all the usual culprits.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »

...........I read the J&P article and noticed mention of raising/lowering the rear end to reduce the problem.

Which do we think it should it be - raise or lower?................

Cheers

Dave
Dave,

You would want to lower the rear, or raise the front.  Either one would increase the rake slightly.

I've been thinking about raising the front on mine 1/2", since I've always felt the front end was soft, under-damped, and in need of help.  Just haven't gotten around to figuring out what I want to do in detail.  Probably cartridge type dampers plus progressive springs with an appropriately sized preload spacer to raise the front 1/2 inch.  Still just in the thought process at this point.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 11:35:54 AM »

Just picked up my Banana from the stealer yesterday. Took it in because of a wobble at about 80 - 85 mph. They replaced the front wheel and tire (no charge
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:37:22 AM by MJZ »

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »

The definitve cure for high spped wobble! I had it on my 04 SEEG. That bike is gone forvever and I lost 300 pounds ang gained 35 horsepower. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 05:13:40 PM »

Just picked up my Banana from the stealer yesterday. Took it in because of a wobble at about 80 - 85 mph. They replaced the front wheel and tire (no charge

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 06:22:47 PM »

The definitve cure for high spped wobble! I had it on my 04 SEEG. That bike is gone forvever and I lost 300 pounds ang gained 35 horsepower. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Hmmm - kinda dramatic cure for a wobbly Harley I'm thinking

Don't get me wrong, I've had 3 or 4 Beemers (hard to remember exactly - they weren't that memorable...)

Cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 06:24:31 PM by UK_Dave »

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »

Dave,

You would want to lower the rear, or raise the front.

CVO-RIDER

• Junior CVO Member
  • So many roads to ride. OH wait there's work
    • CA

• CVO1: SERK 2002 Purple
    • CVO2: SED 2004 Blue sold
    • CVO3: SEEG 2005 Red sold
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 10:43:30 PM »

Has anyone experianced (or know of someone who has ) a high speed weave aka high speed wobble aka tank slapper with their bike? Any ideas on how to fix the problem?
I had progressive 440s installed when I got to Sturgis last year & it helped but didn't fix the wobble issue. Than last December I had 18" wheels with metezler tires installed & have not had A problem since. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]|GOOD BYE WOBBLE!!!!!!!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

hogasm

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 06:55:54 PM »

If I take the lowers off the bike has a high speed wobble. With them on, rides great.

On the wifes 06 Street Glide, installed a lowering kit from Harley in the front forks. That bike rides much better than my 2004 SEEG. Dealer says the 06's have a newly designed front forks. I am seriously considering replacing the forks on my 04 with the new 06 forks.

Rode the wifes Street Glide to Daytona with lowers installed and experienced no high speed wobble.

Dont know if anyone has heark of Dave Wimmer? He was involved in an accident when his Harley went into a high speed wobble. According to the guys at fatbaggers it has taken him a few months to recover.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 07:21:55 PM »

hogasm, there are plenty of 06 bikes with the same problem, so before you spend a bunch of coin on new forks, do some more checking.  I do like how the new 06 bike doesn't dive when braking though.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 07:26:45 PM »

There are law suits settled out of court with HD on high speed wobble and related accidents - it is inherant - known about - blown over by HD and left to owners to deal with by paying out of pocket to correct THEIR mistake and ACCIDENT PROWN EQUIPMENT.There is a fix - but YOU have to pay for Harley Davidson design to correct this problem. God I love this life.
This has gone on since day 1 with this vehicle - come HD  - step up to the plate and deal with YOUR customers. We have long been blown over  - left behind, and answering all the monthy surveys do not correct this design problem that YOU know about. WE ARE THE ELITE.
Hiring a company to do outside surveys tells me that someone does not know what the hell is going on - yes I am for hire with a serous customer service background and all PHD and PACE test up to date. Ride a bananna with over 23,800 miles on her that I bought last year (look in the first one to own a yellow on this forum).
SHE IS DAM NEAR FOR SALE ON HOW HD BACKS THEIR CUSTOMERS - LOOKING FOR A YAMAHA - MINE IS FOR SALE

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
  • 05 SE Glide,,,niceeee eeeeee
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2006, 07:25:39 AM »

Jerry and Dave....

This is my 3rd bagger starting with a 98, an 02 and this 05 CVO. The CVO has 12.5 inch Progressive shocks, standard springs, dialed in about 6 turns or so.

The common thing in all of them were what you two were discussing as far as the sweeping curves and high speed stuff.

This past Sunday, I jumped on an on ramp with the 05, ran it pretty hard thru the gears and leaning to the right following the curve in the ramp, probably going 80 or a tad higher.  Yup!!  there it was again, a slow wobble.

I had it up to 115 one time, 110,,,smooth as silk, 115, whoaaaaa....started out as a nice slow wobble.  I backed off and haven't been over 110 since.  I was just happy as a clam it didn't go into a tank slapper.

In both cases, the wobble was slow, a slight side to side movement of the bars.  Just enough warning to tell me I am outta my element.

My cure is what Jerry suggested, slow down.  I was thinking of a true track or the equivalent, now i see someone here tried one of those to no avail.  I figure if I want to go that fast,,,Id better buy a bike thats built for those speeds.   But I know deep down inside, I'll probably try that true track just for giggles.

Tom

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 08:22:31 AM »

Thanks Tom - I guess you and Jerry are right - the fix is to reduce speed [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

But of course we all like to know we are riding something with no faults or problems (perfectionists perhaps) so I guess it will continue to gnaw away at us until we do something about it.

I hope I can exercise enough restraint that it doesn't become a problem for me - as I said before it's only really when I am riding solo that it's going to be an issue - with the missus on the back I suddenly acquire an automatic speed limiter - know what I mean ;)

On the old RK she couldn't see the speedo but with the SEEG it's right up there in plain view

Cheers

Dave
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.