Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble  (Read 14469 times)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
Re: High Speed Wobble
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2006, 09:39:02 PM »

From one of the local riders (non CVO) who just managed to get back from a 4 state trip in one piece. All was good until on the way back from Santa Ana (Los Angeles area) all by himself until he bailed off an Eltra Glide @ about 60 mph. He was extremely lucky, he only got a lot of road rash{no leather jacket}

lucky1

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2006, 10:41:15 PM »

I got a new H-D in 1968, and it used to shake its head at high speeds. An old boy (now I is one)back then told me not to pull on the bars to try to stop the shake, but to push on them. It works.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2006, 11:04:37 PM »

I got a new H-D in 1968, and it used to shake its head at high speeds. An old boy (now I is one)back then told me not to pull on the bars to try to stop the shake, but to push on them. It works.
Hey Lucky1, my ole knucklehead used to go into a pretty violent shake sometimes when I'd be running 'er too hard and I couldn't think to pull or push, just 'hang on' and try to stay on the bit*h.  [smiley=stunned.gif] har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2006, 01:49:30 AM »

Hey Lucky1, my ole knucklehead used to go into a pretty violent shake sometimes when I'd be running 'er too hard and I couldn't think to pull or push, just 'hang on' and try to stay on the bit*h.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2006, 07:26:55 AM »

Hey Spyder, I had a girlfriend just like that one time......just stayed on and rode it out till she settled down!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 07:27:14 AM by 103tHunDer »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2006, 08:18:42 AM »

[smiley=shocked2.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2006, 08:49:21 AM »

[smiley=shocked2.gif]

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »

I did, and years down the road we split up and the divorce was VERY expensive, but man what a ride  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] It takes more than a great ride to do 24/7.
I mean we can't do it on two wheels either, 24/7 I mean  :)
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Pana-guy

• A day on the road is better than 2 in the office!
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2006, 05:52:28 PM »

Folks,

I have a cherry
2005 H-D FLHTCSE2 (Red SEEG)
2004 BMW R1200C Montauk
2004 BMW 330CIC Convertible

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2006, 09:15:51 PM »

A little over a year ago I had a high speed wobble on my 04 SEEG, (posted the experience somewhere on the site). It was a violent wobble (tank slapper) that started at 160 kph on a straight section of road. I managed to hang on and didn
Darrell

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2006, 10:50:09 PM »

Darrell,

Its good to hear from you, its been a very long time. Sorry to see your problem has yet to be resolved. Hope this will do it, so you can feel confident in riding your very nice bike.

Forgot to mention, don't think it is an HD recommendation, however I have the Race Tech Emulators in the front forks and Progressive Suspension in the rear.

This is in my 03 Road Glide, different suspension I think than the SEEGs. Also, I am now running a JIMs 120.

Take care.

geezerglide
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 10:53:44 PM by geezerglide »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2006, 12:49:10 AM »

Hey Darrell,

Good to see you back posting on the site!  It's been almost a year since we ran into each other at Street Vibes.  While I have the stock suspension, I changed to a 15w fork oil and progressive 440s in the rear.  The bike handles incredibly!  Much better than stock.  The front oil changed the handling from a Buick to a BMW, and the bike is a LOT more stable at speed.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2006, 09:49:25 AM »

DARELL-Glad your back. that was a beautiful bmw you were riding in reno last sept. ive had several wobbles and one tank slapper. the last two things ive done seem to have helped. last 5000 miles no wobble. i greased the front neck. it took half a tube. then i put on the metzler 880s. bikes been riding great. you issues may go beyond this and hd should resolve it. you may need to push a little harder. its not a good feeling having no confidence in your bike
vanamal

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2006, 10:14:59 AM »

Darrell, great to hear from you.  I hope that you've got your home back together after the flood.  I think that was the last time that we talked.

I can't believe that HD is leaving your bike on the road.  If you ever do go down, as a result of the handling problems, you've certainly got more then enough documentation to show that they're neglagent.  Too bad you're not here, you could make them buy it back under the lemon law. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  It's just a really sad situation and I thought for sure that they'd have resolved it for you by now or bought the bike back.

Whatever they're (HD) suggesting, I sure hope that they're paying for all these hoccus-poccus ideas and changes.  Keep us posted.  

Are we going to see you in Street Vibrations this year?  You're missed here on this site!

J.C.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2006, 10:53:19 AM »

Thanks guys for the feedback. I haven't been posting much over the last year because I lost interest in the bike. I'm keen again and determined to get this fixed. I am planning on going to the Vegas and Reno events and have told the dealer that if I have to ride the BMW again this year then they can keep the dam bike.

Changed the front fork oil to the screamin eagle heavier oil. Tried the progressive 440's - made no difference so we put a new set of factory air shocks on it. Neck bearing greased and inspected (several times), fall away, Metzler 880's on front and rear, engine alignment, rear wheel alignment, rebuilt front forks, swingarm bushings changed, swingarm stabilizer installed, engine mounts checked, front & rear wheels checked, every combination of rear air shock pressure and tire pressures tried, rear belt / sprocket inspected, rotors checked, ......

Because the problem is much more noticable when 1-up vs. 2-up, I even tried adding wieght to the bike in the saddlebags. I am 150 lbs so I added another 40 Lbs - 20 in each saddlebag positioned at the front of the bags. Didn't make any difference.

All the work is being done under warranty but I would gladly pay someone for a solution that works. Hope to make the trip but if the bike isn't fixed then I will postpone until next year. Not that I don't enjoy the BMW but I would rather take the SEEG.
Darrell
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 22 queries.