Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Winter 2011 B/B Mods  (Read 9367 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Winter 2011 B/B Mods
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »

Just thought I'd throw up a few pics of some stuff I did to the '04 recently. 

Harley LED headlamp and passing lights.  MUCH brighter than the Harley HID I was running before.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Winter 2011 B/B Mods
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »

Tour-pak LED tail/brake lamp.  Love the looks of this on the new ones!  Not sure why the color looks so far off of the others in the photo because it doesn't look like that in person. :nixweiss:

I think I might go back to the stock amber turn signals with the smoked lenses.  Might almost be too much red back there now. :-\

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »

Chrome switches. 8)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:59:44 PM »

Harley air horn.  Whew, that thing is loud!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:03:51 PM »

Visor style trim rings.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »

One last shot of the tour-pak LED.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »

Might almost be too much red back there now. :-\

You didn't really just say that......  ???

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »

Nice winter mods for the SEEG Brian.  My first impression of that headlight when saw it in pictures wasn't great.  It grew on me big time after seeing it in person though.  Glad to read it performs better too.  It all looks great.  Can't wait to see it in person again the next time.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »

You didn't really just say that......  ???

On a red bike it'd be perfect! ;)

Nice winter mods for the SEEG Brian.  My first impression of that headlight when saw it in pictures wasn't great.  It grew on me big time after seeing it in person though.  Glad to read it performs better too.  It all looks great.  Can't wait to see it in person again the next time.

I'm actually still sort of warming up to the headlight, myself.  Sort of alien-looking.  But I rode Tommy's bike into the darkness toward Cherokee last fall at MV right after he'd had them installed and new I had to make a change.  Might not be that much of a difference with the non-Harley HID your'e running, but with mine it was night and day better.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »

Hey Brian.  Everything came out great.  I hope you like the lights.  I'm sure they will grow on you and that they will work really well.  Please let me know how you like them.  I might want to get one also.   The tour pack looks great too with the added lighting.  I don't use mine tpo often so I'll leave mine alone.  I did the hd hinges though. They add a nice touch if you haven't done those already. I'm really glad to see that you are keeping your seeg.  I'm keeping mine too.    We gotta keep JC from trying to convert us ya know. Keep up the great work, :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 09:50:28 PM »

On a red bike it'd be perfect! ;)

I'm actually still sort of warming up to the headlight, myself.  Sort of alien-looking.  But I rode Tommy's bike into the darkness toward Cherokee last fall at MV right after he'd had them installed and new I had to make a change.  Might not be that much of a difference with the non-Harley HID your'e running, but with mine it was night and day better.

Have seen it on Travis's new bike the last couple of days.  Really impressed with the width of the beam coming off those side projectors.  And it seems to focus a long way down the road. 

Unless the dual HID thing in the red bike should crap out I'd not make the change (even to finally get the headlight and spotlight looking the same :huepfenlol2: ).  But for the ease of install and the even lower power draw it'd be what I'd use if I had a failure.  It is what I'm going to use on the Road King project whenever it gets that far though.  The nacelle and headlight ring on that bike is powder coated the same dark red as the frame and lower legs.  Going to put the dark version of your light in that nacelle.

The B&B looks great as always Brian.  Feels good to give the old ones a little love now and again doesn't it :2vrolijk_21: ?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 09:54:40 PM »

Hey Brian.  Everything came out great.  I hope you like the lights.  I'm sure they will grow on you and that they will work really well.  Please let me know how you like them.  I might want to get one also.   The tour pack looks great too with the added lighting.  I don't use mine tpo often so I'll leave mine alone.  I did the hd hinges though. They add a nice touch if you haven't done those already. I'm really glad to see that you are keeping your seeg.  I'm keeping mine too.    We gotta keep JC from trying to convert us ya know. Keep up the great work, :2vrolijk_21:

Not a chance.....I loved mine and the SEEG is a great bike.......if......ya don't mind.........ridein a tractor. :vrolijk_6:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »

I knew that was coming :D

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »

Looks good Brian!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »

Have seen it on Travis's new bike the last couple of days. 

WAIT..Travis got a new bike?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »

That's one sweet B&B and you have always set the bar high for others to follow...

Congrats on the new additions and I look forward to seeing them soon!

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member
  • I'd rather be twisting the wick!!!!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 Black/Blue
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTK
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 09:18:28 PM »

I loved the look of the rear brake lamps that I just added them to my B/B. I have a question about the install. My question is do all 3 segments light up when the brake is on? Mine do but the instructions say only the center lamp should light. Also, when the 4 ways are on the light bar won't flash. Is this normal? I check the wiring 5 times and it seems to be correct. Thanks.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 09:29:28 PM »

Brian, did you re-wire so as to run the passing lamps all the time (high & low beam headlight)?  Did you have to have an adapter to install those LED lights or will they 'plug & Play' with the old SEEG's?  I think I'm gonna spring for them on my re-build since you've paved the way and give 'em high marks.  thanks, spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »

I loved the look of the rear brake lamps that I just added them to my B/B. I have a question about the install. My question is do all 3 segments light up when the brake is on? Mine do but the instructions say only the center lamp should light. Also, when the 4 ways are on the light bar won't flash. Is this normal? I check the wiring 5 times and it seems to be correct. Thanks.

Only the center section gets brighter on mine.  I think I'd rather have it like yours.  Some guys are doing mods to make the outboard segments turn signals, too.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »

Brian, did you re-wire so as to run the passing lamps all the time (high & low beam headlight)?  Did you have to have an adapter to install those LED lights or will they 'plug & Play' with the old SEEG's?  I think I'm gonna spring for them on my re-build since you've paved the way and give 'em high marks.  thanks, spyder

Spyder, I'm still planning on wiring it so that the passing lamps stay on with the hi-beam, but haven't done it yet.  As far as needing adapters, I had a dealer do it while it was in for tires and damn if I can find the receipt right now to be able to say for sure, but I want to say the headlight is plug and play and it took adapters for the spots.  I'll let you know if I ever run across the receipt, or if I get a chance, I'll pull one for ya and take a look.  I need to yank the fairing and pull the high output horn outta there that I used to have since they left it in when they did the air horn install ::), so I can check the situation on the headlight then, too.  You'll like 'em.  Way, way better than the Harley HID, and I thought it was pretty good. ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »

Spyder, Travis and I plugged one of these in to his bike.  The headlight will be a direct plug and play if you've still got the stock headlight installed.  If at sometime you've changed to the dual bulb light housing that light kit would have included a little intermediate harness that went between the stock plug and the bulbs.  You'd just lose the add-on intermediate harness and use the original stock plug.

According to HD's website the LED spotlamps are plug and play for 05 but not for 04.  The following is HD's fitment spec:

"'04-earlier models with auxiliary lamps equipped with spade connectors require separate purchase of Adapter Harness P/N 68355-05"

It reads as if the adapter harness is a single piece.  So you'd need a pair of them to do both bulbs.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 06:16:57 AM »

ok......thanks, 2Ln.  :2vrolijk_21: Just another couple of MoCo 'parts' to part me w/ my $$$.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 06:32:15 AM »

Thanks for the info. The directionals work normally on mine too. I think I'll just leave it then as I like all 3 segments as a brake lamp. Thanks again.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 06:55:37 AM »

Spyder, I'm still planning on wiring it so that the passing lamps stay on with the hi-beam, but haven't done it yet.  As far as needing adapters, I had a dealer do it while it was in for tires and damn if I can find the receipt right now to be able to say for sure, but I want to say the headlight is plug and play and it took adapters for the spots.  I'll let you know if I ever run across the receipt, or if I get a chance, I'll pull one for ya and take a look.  I need to yank the fairing and pull the high output horn outta there that I used to have since they left it in when they did the air horn install ::), so I can check the situation on the headlight then, too.  You'll like 'em.  Way, way better than the Harley HID, and I thought it was pretty good. ;)

Thanks Brian....let me know which method you end up using to wire in the passing lamps to stay on with the highbeams.  Different fuse circuit or not?  spyder

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »

Very nice Brian!!!

Your giving me more idea's........darn

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 07:16:06 AM »

Just thought I'd throw up a few pics of some stuff I did to the '04 recently.  

Harley LED headlamp and passing lights.  MUCH brighter than the Harley HID I was running before.

Curious about daytime visibilty with the HD branded LED lights. I was reading another LED thread and they were using the JW/HD style LED but with a black housing. Daytime visibilty was below the visibilty of the TL competitor and I made a comment wondering if the chromed housing of the HD version would make a difference. I think I was in error when I didn't see how the chromed housing would make a difference on daytime light projection for safety against cars not directly in your path.
To me it sure looks like the chrome would broadcast a more visible presence. What's your take on it? Might be worth the added cost to have a focused beam but daytime visibility due to the chromed housing.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=60928.0

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:23:23 AM by Veego »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 07:06:19 PM »

It's tough for me to comment on the comparison to the TL since I've never seen them.  I didn't read the review in detail, but were they comparing a black H-D light to a chrome TL?  If so, that doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

I can say that I've seen other H-D LED-equipped bikes coming down the road and the light seemed very noticeable to me.  And just this past Friday, I had someone flash their lights at me in the middle of the day (though it was overcast), so I know I'm being seen.

I'm very happy with the H-D LEDs so far and haven't had the fogging problem that some others have had, either.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 03:16:31 PM »

It's tough for me to comment on the comparison to the TL since I've never seen them.  I didn't read the review in detail, but were they comparing a black H-D light to a chrome TL?  If so, that doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

I can say that I've seen other H-D LED-equipped bikes coming down the road and the light seemed very noticeable to me.  And just this past Friday, I had someone flash their lights at me in the middle of the day (though it was overcast), so I know I'm being seen.

I'm very happy with the H-D LEDs so far and haven't had the fogging problem that some others have had, either.

Well, Brian, you and Tommy set the hook and I had to spring for these damned expensive lights also.  I'm trying the black version so I'll let you know on the brightness once I get the ole Huckleberry back together again.  Did you ever say whether or not your new headlight affected your garage door opener after the install?  I'm hoping that it's plug & play like 2lane said w/o causing me any Garage door opener problems.  Don't know why, but once you posted the pics of your upgrades, that did it for me on the LED lights.  ;D  har.  spyder

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »

Well, Brian, you and Tommy set the hook and I had to spring for these damned expensive lights also.  I'm trying the black version so I'll let you know on the brightness once I get the ole Huckleberry back together again.  Did you ever say whether or not your new headlight affected your garage door opener after the install?  I'm hoping that it's plug & play like 2lane said w/o causing me any Garage door opener problems.  Don't know why, but once you posted the pics of your upgrades, that did it for me on the LED lights.  ;D  har.  spyder

Spydglide

No issues with the HD Led Headlight and the garage door opener .... went semlessly on the 11 SESG
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »

Spydglide

No issues with the HD Led Headlight and the garage door opener .... went semlessly on the 11 SESG
Good to know Harry, but I'm putting it on this old '04.....reckon it'll be the same as your Kripto?  :nixweiss: spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »

Good to know Harry, but I'm putting it on this old '04.....reckon it'll be the same as your Kripto?  :nixweiss: spyder

Spyder, the 04 and 05 SEEGs had a single H4 type bulb as stock.  Though many of us changed things later so as not to be stone-assed-dumchit-blind at night.  The H4 socket is what the LED lamp plugs in to.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »

Spyder, the 04 and 05 SEEGs had a single H4 type bulb as stock.  Though many of us changed things later so as not to be stone-assed-dumchit-blind at night.  The H4 socket is what the LED lamp plugs in to.
And people having trouble with the garage door opener not working would have the later 'split-type' plugs. correct?  I can see that it plugs right up, just didn't know if my opener would be affected.  (these are some bright azzed lights...I might even be able to start riding at night again w/ my old peepers.)  :shocked2:  har.  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »

And people having trouble with the garage door opener not working would have the later 'split-type' plugs. correct?  I can see that it plugs right up, just didn't know if my opener would be affected.  (these are some bright azzed lights...I might even be able to start riding at night again w/ my old peepers.)  :shocked2:  har.  spyder

Shouldn't affect your GDO Spyder.  Suppose there's always some chance of a shielding issue leading to EM interference screwing with the GDO signal.  But barring that unlikely alternative you should be good to go.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »

Brian,

Bike is first class as always.

Debating changing over to LED's but understand you lose some visibility from the headlight in a turn.  Any truth to that?

Also adding the rear LED light bar to a tour pack I picked up.  Did you do some bodywork on the light bar for the CB antenna location?
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »

Spyd,

I did try the light on the 04, Garage Door Opener Worked fine for me hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:04:52 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »

Spyd,

I did try the light on the 04, Garage Door Opener Worked fine for me hope that helps.
yeah, it does, I think I'm gonna like these lights.  :)thanks.   spyder

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »

:nervous: You oh-4 guys always high fiving each other   :cherry: :cherry:

Might be time for some Motolights with high output 25 degree LED bulbs.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 10:20:29 PM »

Duane,

Might not want to do that yet, they say they have an issue with the radio / interference.   Say they are working on it, but haven't seen a post saying they fixed it yet.   I have the motolights on the SESG and hoping they get the issue worked out soon, my luck is soon as I buy the lesser ones they will fix the better ones ya know.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »

Brian,

Debating changing over to LED's but understand you lose some visibility from the headlight in a turn.  Any truth to that?

Also adding the rear LED light bar to a tour pack I picked up.  Did you do some bodywork on the light bar for the CB antenna location?

Hey, Pete!  Thanks for the compliment.  I think this coming winter's mod is going to be the LRB rotors and pads ....... but even after that, she'll still be second class to your hot rod! 8)

You know, I still don't have a ton of "night miles" on the new lights, but in the ones I've put on, I'd still rate it better than the old H-D HID I had on there, or the factory halogen as far as how it lights up a turn.  Any dark spot has been able to be lit up by a quick flash of the high beam, if necessary.  Now then, we don't have a ton of curves here in good ol' central Illinois, so you can take that for what it's worth, but I really don't have any complaints about these lights, so far.

The LED tail lamp for the tour-pak comes equipped with spots for antennas on each side.  No tweaking necessary!

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »

I think this coming winter's mod is going to be the LRB rotors and pads .......

The LED tail lamp for the tour-pak comes equipped with spots for antennas on each side.  No tweaking necessary!

You'll really like the composite rotors (blue buttons too!), should work even better with the Brembos.

I have the LED tail lamp but want to eliminate the antenna holes.  Thought I saw from the picture that you did that on the CB side.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »

It comes with plugs to fill in the holes if you aren't going to use antennas.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »

It comes with plugs to fill in the holes if you aren't going to use antennas.

And they can fall out :confused5:

When I get mine painted I am asking to have the bosses removed and made smooth if possible.

Harry,
I know about the static issue and that is why I'm holding off. If they work as well as the stock bulbs it isn't that great of an upgrade, but if they are better, it will be great

Brian - have you tried the Moto's yet? I know they look kind of BMW'ish - but for getting attention they just work.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:45:37 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 25 queries.