Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Peelin' Chrome - NEW POLL  (Read 17761 times)

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
Re: Peelin' Chrome - NEW POLL
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2006, 06:04:11 AM »

Anybody know what actually happens (and what's suppoosed to happen) to the wheels that get taken off and replaced?

On my wheels the actual flaking/blistering was small - so small that I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been made aware by you excellent chaps - Thanks - but enough for the dealer to agree instantly to replace them.

The fact that I brought the wheels loose to them helps I guess since the dealer doesn't have to pay for the mechanic's time to remove and replace them - but you can bet they will claim that from the MoCo...

I reckon someone might well buy these old wheels on eBay as "used items - no warranty - no return" etc etc or am I just being a cynic?

If I had the opportunity I'd buy them myself and fit them again and keep the new ones for when the warranty expires

(Thinks - or I could swap them again and again - no!! don't think like that!!! that is BAD)

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2006, 07:02:07 AM »

Dave...The warranty policy on the peeling chrome is a direct replacement return to HD.  The dealer does not recieve credit for the wheels until the factory inspects them (now with a policy that the dealer must circle in felt tip the area used to base the claim) and agrees that the problem is significant enough to be valid.  The wheels are then outsourced to the original plater and put back into the system to be used to settle the next round of warranty claims.  When they peel again, the wheels take off on their next trip through the system.  Only real way to stop the madness is to accept the credit on the peeling warranty wheels and select a style that has been known to last ie the Mirror Chrome Thunderstars that have had few, if any warranty claims.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2006, 07:49:52 AM »

Picked mine up August 04, still no problems with chrome.
Tbone, that's awesome. I'm glad that some owners are having some luck here.
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2006, 08:30:47 AM »

Tbone, that's awesome. I'm glad that some owners are having some luck here.
I feel lucky MYCVO.  I sometimes wonder if I'm just not observant enough!!  ::)
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2006, 08:50:23 AM »

Dave...The warranty policy on the peeling chrome is a direct replacement return to HD.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2006, 09:05:22 AM »

Thanks for this info Brian - I wasn't aware this was an option. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

As a matter of interest, presumably the difference between the mirror and rough finish Thunderstars is just that - one is smooth and one is textured (rough) - i.e. everything else is the same including who makes them and who plates them?

Where, I wonder, have others found the chrome to be bad on their wheels?

My blisters are not on the rough finish section of either wheel but are on the junction of the rim and the well, so I'm interested in why the mirrors have no history of failure while the rough finish wheels do??? (If everything elas is the same)

Or is this more to do with (as I think was mentioned previously) there being a large batch of textured wheels needed for the SEEGs production run plus spares which overstretched the capacity of the plater and some were not prepped right?

Presumaby as these go back through the process the problem areas are polished right prior to plating and all is well going forward.

Time will tell but at least I have another avenue to pursue should that be necessary [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Now, the question is, do I want these replacement textured wheels to fail straight away? - or not at all [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Decisions Decisions

Cheers

Dave

Dave.....First, on the 20+ sets of wheels that I have personally seen with a peeling problem I can tell you that the area effected on your wheels is consistant with most of the problems.  A few began their peeling on the leading edge of each spoke.  As far as the wheels being recycled, polished correctly and returned where they would last, I wouldn't count on it as several of the replacements that show the earlier part number (indicating that they've been through the process) peeled a second time.  From the information that I've received (not independantly verified) is that the problem exists in the EPA and OSHA requirements on US platers as opposed to those that are outsourced to one of several countries.  IF, the information is correct the wheels in question are plated in the US and wheels such as the Thunderstar series are not.  Again, I do not know personally if this information is correct, but I can verify the end result of the two different series of wheels.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2006, 11:19:40 AM »

This is all such good info here - thanks again Brian

I would never have thought to check part numbers on the wheels - I will make sure I do just that when I get mine back - hopefully this weekend

So the later number means a better chance of a good wheel? - or is it not that simple?

As far as I know these are the original numbers (as per my parts book)

43573-00A front

43846-02A rear

What should I be looking for?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:20:50 AM by UK_Dave »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »

Dave...Don't think anyone knows for sure where the "new" wheels start, but several people have told me that the change over started with the 45 hundred series...(45.......)  Again, there's a lot of guessing going on that issue, but it does seem to follow logic.  Best advice is to look the new wheels over carefully for "light" spots in the chrome or rough edges on the leading edge of the spokes.  If they aren't right...swap them out for the Thunderstars and start over.  Just my opinion, but has worked to date.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2006, 12:27:01 PM »

That's great - will do all that as soon as I get the replacements and will let you know how it goes

Thanks Again

Cheers

Dave

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2006, 05:40:54 PM »

I feel lucky MYCVO.
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2006, 12:40:37 PM »

I'm almost afraid to say this, but I don't have any peeling chrome.............yet!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »

Can't say that anymore..........I now have the front wheel peeling chrome. [smiley=nervous.gif]
JC,
Hopefully you still under warranty? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

/me is going to do a major inspection of his bike before factory warranty ends.

You remember the kind the "Commanding General" used to do? :D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2006, 02:47:34 PM »

Can't say that anymore..........I now have the front wheel peeling chrome. [smiley=nervous.gif]

JC....check both front floorboard supports on each side.  I'm betting they flaked off on the front edges.  You may also want to check the floorboards themselves, as they first start to peel from underneath on the inside edge.  The passenger floorboards peel on the flat surface area, usually along the rear seam.  Check the underside of the mirrors as they will, at some point peel from there outward.  Unless the dealer will warranty the new wheels, you may want to go the Thunderstar route.  Sometimes enough is just enough.  Sorry buddy, I thought maybe you had dodged the bullet on the peeling chrome.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2006, 02:54:26 PM »

JC....check both front floorboard supports on each side.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2006, 12:01:29 PM »

I know four guys with seegs in my area I ride with and none of us have had any peeling yet!When I get the seeg out of storage at my dealer I will give it the once over.JC is your seeg still under warr.?Has anyone been out of warr. and had chrome replaced??? [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 12:02:29 PM by hdnut »
hdnut
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.