Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throttle Body, upgrade or leave stock?  (Read 3101 times)

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
Throttle Body, upgrade or leave stock?
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

I just upgraded a few parts in my 65K mile 95” 03 FLSTFI and have a few miles left to go before I have it dyno tuned. From the list does anyone recommend upgrading the stock throttle body and/or injectors?

SE Pro CNC Ported Factory Cylinder Heads with Valve upgrade - P/N 16500013A
SE Intake Flanges - P/N 26993-06
SE Pro TC High Compression Forged Pistons +.010 - P/N 22870-00A
SE-251 Cams - P/N 25121-03
SE Pro Super Tuner - P/N 32109-08C
TP Pro Forged Roller Rockers - P/N 45-0245-23
SE Pro Perfect Fit Pushrods - P/N 18401-03
SE High Tensile Studs - P/N 16505-01
SE Mechanical Compression Releases - P/N 32076-04
SE Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump Upgrade Kit - P/N 25284-11

I went from the SE 95” stage II kit with 203 cams for close to 60K miles. I only have around 20K on a new throttle body as the old one cracked the shaft. Just removed the old PC III as it was acting up. Pipes are V&H Bigshot Staggered and AC is Zippers Maxflow. It’s a lot of fun to ride and sounds so much better.

I posted this on another forum with not much luck.
Thanks for the input,
Gregg
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
Re: Throttle Body, upgrade or leave stock?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »

The input I got was to dyno it then see if it needs it.  While this is sound information from some well known people, I would like to know before I spend extra money to dyno it. 

03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »

A larger throttle body will help with the top end.  I would upgrade to a 48-50mm. With your mods.

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:13:53 AM »

Does it just shift the curve to the right or does it adversely affect the bottom end?   Do they come with injectors or reinstall the old stock ones?  I just don’t want to miss anything after doing so much.  I have confidence in my builder and he says I don’t need to change the TB or Injectors.  Just don’t feel I will get the full potential out of this engine with the stock setup.
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:08:07 AM »

We've had great results with 55mm HPI's, on HO 98"ers.
Scott

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »

You WON'T get a lot of bang for the buck with an OS throttle body with your combo.  :oops:
John

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:30:20 AM »

When you add more air like in this case you will bring your peak HP numbers up but you will most likley loose some bottom end and TQ. I saw this happen on a couple of builds I had done in the past. Is there any reason why you went with all HD parts???? You could have sent your heads out and got more bang for your buck IMHO. I might have used a different set of cams and you didn't mention any lifter change. Did in fact change your lifters? Not trying to bash anyone here just asking. Good luck on the dyno, but as far as TB change I think you will be alright!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:33:24 AM »

We have swapped in some OS t/b in the past on builds that needed it and flat out did not need it. What we saw was no down side to a larger unit on a basic build. However with "some " kits the larger t/b in fact did not increase the HP at all but boosted the tq in the low to mid area and held it on a bit longer if the cam was in the shorter duration area. I am not a huge fan of the 251 cam..  in larger inch engines they tend to work better.  

It is not just one item though and the entire kit needs to work together, that pipe is not  " a great" set up.. on the softail you are somewhat limited. I would think that set up is somewhat soft in the lower rpm ranges and starts to pull in the 3000+ range.  If you are trying to maximize the kit and better ex system would be the first thing to look into for better overall power on both tq/hp

Tying to located a used t/b is not always hard as they do come up rather often used. I would give it a try. Worse case it does nothing and you tune the bike to find that a cam swap is going to happen and then you already have the rest..
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:40:57 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 08:08:32 AM »

We have swapped in some OS t/b in the past on builds that needed it and flat out did not need it. What we saw was no down side to a larger unit on a basic build. However with "some " kits the larger t/b in fact did not increase the HP at all but boosted the tq in the low to mid area and held it on a bit longer if the cam was in the shorter duration area. I am not a huge fan of the 251 cam..  in larger inch engines they tend to work better.  

It is not just one item though and the entire kit needs to work together, that pipe is not  " a great" set up.. on the softail you are somewhat limited. I would think that set up is somewhat soft in the lower rpm ranges and starts to pull in the 3000+ range.  If you are trying to maximize the kit and better ex system would be the first thing to look into for better overall power on both tq/hp

Tying to located a used t/b is not always hard as they do come up rather often used. I would give it a try. Worse case it does nothing and you tune the bike to find that a cam swap is going to happen and then you already have the rest..

That is interesting to say the least. What size motor were you working with? I have seen the bigger inch motors 110 and up gain HP and loose TQ. It seems with a larger lift cam they like more air to make HP.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:44:02 PM »

I went with S&S lifters.  Got a very good deal on the Harley parts and after 65K miles I wanted to clean most everything up.  I kept all the stock 100th anniversary parts, another reason I didn't want work up the factory heads.  As for the cam I went with their recommendation on the 251s.

The main reason for the upgrade was my primary took a dump.  Thought it was just the compensator as I had to change it twice on the 2010 SEUC after just 45K miles.  After looking at everything I couldn’t see putting all the old stuff back in.

I agree with the pipes but like you said back in 03’ when I got them there wasn’t much to choose from.  I’ve never been big on the look of the 2 into 1 pipes no matter how much better they perform.

Thanks for all the great input. Now to listen to all of you and just dyno it.

03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.