Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO 117  (Read 4234 times)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
CVO 117
« on: July 03, 2019, 11:41:38 PM »

Those on the fence about buying a new 117 cvo if you think it’s worth taking the bait as the sales person likes to call it. Here are my views:

My first 5000 miles were not fun.

With all the issues I had with my 2017 cvo, my local dealer made me a great deal on a new 2019 promising all the issues were “fixed” with the new models. He mentioned that their parent company had sold 800 baggers with no problems. First red flag.

After much complaining, the oil transfer issue has been taken care of.
The hesitation right off idle, taken care of.
The overly sensitive clutch engagement issue solved.
The crap “premium” shocks replaced.
The connections with the GPX radio, headset, phone, carplay solved. When Harley AND the dealership said there was NO manual for the radio system. There is.

Gotta give the dealer some credit for FINALLY acknowledging that the newest “top of the line” Harley is not what the sales people say it is!
The potential is there, too bad the customer has to jump through so many hoops to get that potential. And it has little to do with EPA rules, just Harley looking the other way.

I like my new bike, only got to do one long trip so far due to an injury, but leaving again next month.
I’m hoping all the bugs are taken care of.
Don’t tell me about “warranty” when the bike breaks 2000 miles from home and no cell reception. I didn’t spend all that money to get a bike less reliable than my Yugo

The M8 is a nice engine, the chassis is nice for a heavy bike, it will cruise as fast as you care to go being VERY stable at over 3 digits on the speedo. Yes my cruise control works at that speed.
I may have to get the extended warranty if I keep this one past 2 years.
We shall see.
 :soapbox:

HOGMIKE

Fier23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Re: CVO 117
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 12:13:15 AM »

Those on the fence about buying a new 117 cvo if you think it’s worth taking the bait as the sales person likes to call it. Here are my views:

My first 5000 miles were not fun.

With all the issues I had with my 2017 cvo, my local dealer made me a great deal on a new 2019 promising all the issues were “fixed” with the new models. He mentioned that their parent company had sold 800 baggers with no problems. First red flag.

After much complaining, the oil transfer issue has been taken care of.
The hesitation right off idle, taken care of.
The overly sensitive clutch engagement issue solved.
The crap “premium” shocks replaced.
The connections with the GPX radio, headset, phone, carplay solved. When Harley AND the dealership said there was NO manual for the radio system. There is.

Gotta give the dealer some credit for FINALLY acknowledging that the newest “top of the line” Harley is not what the sales people say it is!
The potential is there, too bad the customer has to jump through so many hoops to get that potential. And it has little to do with EPA rules, just Harley looking the other way.

I like my new bike, only got to do one long trip so far due to an injury, but leaving again next month.
I’m hoping all the bugs are taken care of.
Don’t tell me about “warranty” when the bike breaks 2000 miles from home and no cell reception. I didn’t spend all that money to get a bike less reliable than my Yugo

The M8 is a nice engine, the chassis is nice for a heavy bike, it will cruise as fast as you care to go being VERY stable at over 3 digits on the speedo. Yes my cruise control works at that speed.
I may have to get the extended warranty if I keep this one past 2 years.
We shall see.
 :soapbox:
What I want to know is about the apple CarPlay. My brothers road glide standard he had flashed he just hooks it up to his phone e and it works. Can we bypass that like he did so we do not have to have the wireless Sena connected at the same time for it to work?

Jeremy 2019 Street Glide CVO Black Forest

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:49:06 AM »

What I want to know is about the apple CarPlay. My brothers road glide standard he had flashed he just hooks it up to his phone e and it works. Can we bypass that like he did so we do not have to have the wireless Sena connected at the same time for it to work?

Jeremy 2019 Street Glide CVO Black Forest

Get it flashed at the dealer to disable the wireless requirement.   There are multiple threads about it.  Here's one...
https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=116921.msg1477569#msg1477569

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 07:57:04 AM »

After much complaining, the oil transfer issue has been taken care of.   3000 miles on my '19 and no issues.   
The hesitation right off idle, taken care of.   This was never an issue on my bike?    Runs like a monster.
The overly sensitive clutch engagement issue solved.    Not an issue on my bike  feels the same as my '16 did   -   Maybe a personal preference thing? 
The crap “premium” shocks replaced. -  Another personal preference thing?   '19s have different shocks anyway so maybe they are just better.   My '19 is my 5th Harley touring bike since 2004 and it is the best riding bike I have ever had.
The connections with the GPX radio, headset, phone, carplay solved. When Harley AND the dealership said there was NO manual for the radio system. There is.    CarPlay was definitely a pain in the A55!

'17 was the first year for the M8 - Maybe they have worked out some of the bugs you experienced?

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 10:31:23 AM »

'17 was the first year for the M8 - Maybe they have worked out some of the bugs you experienced?

Rebuttal:

I agree that I may be more demanding than most expecting my $50k Harley to operate like a $30k beemer!
Unrealistic? Yes!
Don’t get me wrong, I really like the 19, things that had changed since my 17 included new size front wheel that improves the handling over the 17 (and my 16)!
The front forks are an improvement over the earlier forks.
MY rear shocks were built for me and my riding style and I’ve run these same shocks since my 2010. I’ve had bat wing bikes as my touring rigs since 1995 (Electra-glides prior)
My engine is basically a stage 1 upgrade to keep my warranty intact, and has good power for what I use the bike for.
I find it interesting that some customers know more about the new bikes than the (experts) at the dealership.
The comments from others in regards to “customer service “ they get from the dealership “they all do that,it’s normal “ and “rider error “ may apply to some, but not across the board. Don’t assume the tech at the dealership has more knowledge or experience with the bike, it’s not always true.

Once I find a bike that fits my needs I’ll hang onto it.
I’ve ridden other brands but nothing has called out to me except maybe the bmw grand America.
I’ll keep my Harleys and ride a different one depending on the ride that day.
I do ALOT of riding year round and will keep on 2wheels as long as I can. I have resources to do what I want to my bikes and some are faster than my 19, and ONE is way slower! LOL

Happy Independence Day
 :divers009:

HOGMIKE

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 04:38:07 PM »

Rebuttal:

I agree that I may be more demanding than most expecting my $50k Harley to operate like a $30k beemer!
Unrealistic? Yes!
Don’t get me wrong, I really like the 19, things that had changed since my 17 included new size front wheel that improves the handling over the 17 (and my 16)!
The front forks are an improvement over the earlier forks.
MY rear shocks were built for me and my riding style and I’ve run these same shocks since my 2010. I’ve had bat wing bikes as my touring rigs since 1995 (Electra-glides prior)
My engine is basically a stage 1 upgrade to keep my warranty intact, and has good power for what I use the bike for.
I find it interesting that some customers know more about the new bikes than the (experts) at the dealership.
The comments from others in regards to “customer service “ they get from the dealership “they all do that,it’s normal “ and “rider error “ may apply to some, but not across the board. Don’t assume the tech at the dealership has more knowledge or experience with the bike, it’s not always true.

Once I find a bike that fits my needs I’ll hang onto it.
I’ve ridden other brands but nothing has called out to me except maybe the bmw grand America.
I’ll keep my Harleys and ride a different one depending on the ride that day.
I do ALOT of riding year round and will keep on 2wheels as long as I can. I have resources to do what I want to my bikes and some are faster than my 19, and ONE is way slower! LOL

Happy Independence Day
 :divers009:

I can walk into most car dealerships and know more about the vehicle they are trying to sell. So I find nothing unusual about a HD sales person not knowing as much as an informed buyer. I can't say in any way am I a experienced multi-brand bike rider but I have ridden a few. Just like with any vehicle there are always going to be problems with them. Should there be? Nope I don't think there should either but it is what it is. I have a $80K truck that they now want to weld the steering linkage on because it MIGHT come loose.

If you had talked to me 20 years ago I would have told you I would NEVER own a Harley. But here I am and I find it always interesting to read peoples complaints about HD but they keep coming back for more. I have had pretty good luck with all my HD bikes up to this point and hope it holds true. But I didn't buy my CVO new so I didn't take that big plunge instead I bought a used one. Instead I complain about the PO who kept all the good stuff that comes with the CVO bikes instead of turning it in with the bike when he traded it in. And it pisses me off even more that a dealer would take the bike in trade and not ask for those things. 

bpf

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »

I have a 117 limited CVO bought in September 2017. I rode it 17500 miles. I use it nearly everyday, sometimes doing longer run: 600 miles this week-end, on a highway clobbered with people back from vacation, heading to Paris. I love this engine, I never had a single glitch. I sell the bike in a few weeks, to be replaced by the new 117 limited. The balance between engine, handling and braking fits my need. I have a lot of pleasure with that bike, I can cruise or ride like we ride in Europe, between lanes of cars (according to non written rules shared with (most of) the car drivers, such riding is not forbidden while often not completely legal): that can be quite a challenge, for instance the K1200LT was no fun at all, while the limited 117 allows it easily. I have fun losing scooters thanks to the heavy torque easily available, I even like the gearbox ;-) . I think that the best bike I ever had regarding handling was a R1100RT, but the best engine I ever had is the 117. There is torque when you need it, engine braking is excellent, the engine is very reactive, it is much less hot than the 103 I had before, the way HD designed the cooling system is brilliant. I kept the bike stock because everything was okay with everything else, according to my personal standards. I'm changing for the new one because if I sell it later, since I ride a bit more than the average here, I will lose too much value. I'm so convinced that I re-buy the same bike. :P

Tony_Ironbutt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »

I've had my 18 for a year, the only issues on the bike are cosmetic. The speaker grills, upper v support bar and windshield trim powder coating is not holding up. The bike is otherwise fantastic. I have to attribute some of the issues due to me living on the South Tx coast, that hot salt air doesn't help. No real modes yet except creature comforts (bars, seat, adjustable fairing deflectors). I love the balance of the bike and really enjoy riding it. any tips on keeping the powder coating from blistering and the speaker grills from becoming rusted? About 8k miles on it.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 02:08:44 AM »

I've had my 18 for a year, the only issues on the bike are cosmetic. The speaker grills, upper v support bar and windshield trim powder coating is not holding up. The bike is otherwise fantastic. I have to attribute some of the issues due to me living on the South Tx coast, that hot salt air doesn't help. No real modes yet except creature comforts (bars, seat, adjustable fairing deflectors). I love the balance of the bike and really enjoy riding it. any tips on keeping the powder coating from blistering and the speaker grills from becoming rusted? About 8k miles on it.

Unfortunately removing the damaged parts & having a powder coater redo them would probably be best.  The good news is black powder coat is the most used, cheapest & fastest to have redone.  Also by me at least I found a company that supplies the powder to the shops and puts their semi gloss black powder in a arousal can...its an exact match because its the same powder.  Its not baked on, but works fine for touch ups and parts I cant bring to the shop.
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Tony_Ironbutt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 12:03:16 PM »

Thanks, for now I am using the warranty to correct the issues....                for a 50K bike this should be remedied lol :soapbox:

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 09:06:15 PM »

any tips on keeping the powder coating from blistering and the speaker grills from becoming rusted?
Harley had cheapened their chrome process so much it pitted and flaked way too soon.  Can't offer much to help with the powder coat longevity, but here are some easy ones, along with an experimental approach:
1.  Minimize the amount of time it's in the sun.  UV rays and heat are tough on PC and everything else.
2.  Clean it regularly, using a soft brush to remove surface grime, then use a mild detergent, filtered water, and gentle scrubbing.  Rinse with filtered water.  Note:  Filtered water is especially needed in areas with very hard water (high levels of minerals, such as iron, sulfur, calcium, and even floride).
3.  Don't use any harsh solvents or cleaners, and no abrasives.
4.  Apply a coat of high-quality wax with UV inhibitors, but no abrasives or solvents.  If it's too harsh for your bare hands, it's not for PC.
5.  The experimental item:  apply a coat of non-petroleum based protectant, such as 303, which contains UV inhibitors.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Tony_Ironbutt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 06:57:56 AM »

The filtered water is something I will try differently, I'm just using tap. As for the sun, that is the real problem where as I live in Corpus, very bright and very hot with the salt air from the coast.
thank you for your feedback.

bobbym

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »

Can you tell me what the problem was at take off? The hesitation in first gear??

Thanks for any info.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 25 queries.