CVO Technical > Twin Cam

Rough idle backfiring and extremely HOT!

<< < (2/3) > >>

VRODDAVE:
so,  i just thought i would throw this out there  ....   my 04 SEEG has had ALL the issues at one time or another ...  I had similar to what was described and it turned out to be a busted throttle body butterfly shaft...   I just happened to still have it from 6 years ago ... hahaha  and the bike is long gone ...   this can only be seen i you remove the Throttle body or throttle position sensor and tug on the shaft ....   it causes the Throttle position sensor to be inaccurate ,  runs good sometimes , while other times not so good ...notice it breaks right where the screw goes through the shaft

AsylumofSpeed:
WoW now that’s something I wouldn’t had considered.

Joel:
How many miles on the bike?
After you  check for vacuum leaks, cleaned the Throttle body, new plugs and wires.
Thinking it is a lean condition.  Remember fuel volume.  The fuel pressure may be in specs but if the filter is restricted than fuel volume is decreased, leading to a lean condition.
I had a 03 RKC  that had similar conditions.  I ask a few shops what could be  causing it.
After checking everything along with looking for exhaust leaks I removed the filter and even though everyone said they had never changed one, mine was restricted.
Start ups were quicker,  regained lost power, cooler running engine and eliminated the back fire on deceleration.
Just my experience.
It you do the filter  change the  convoluted fuel lines also , they do split.

AsylumofSpeed:
I ordered the exhaust and intake gaskets yesterday. Both had leaks. Tried to pull the codes but the trip button won’t cycle so I ordered one of those today. I think the mileage is around 60k. I’ll know more in a couple of days when the stuff comes in.

grc:

--- Quote from: AsylumofSpeed on May 12, 2020, 11:07:12 PM ---I ordered the exhaust and intake gaskets yesterday. Both had leaks. Tried to pull the codes but the trip button won’t cycle so I ordered one of those today. I think the mileage is around 60k. I’ll know more in a couple of days when the stuff comes in.

--- End quote ---

If you don't know the service history of the bike, you may want to assume it's way past time for a fuel filter change.  That requires removing the fuel pump and gauge sender unit from the tank, at that time you would also want to do what Doc mentioned and check/replace any hoses.  As he said, it was common back in those days for the stock fuel lines in the tank to rub and eventually leak, thus reducing fuel pressure to the injectors which automatically translates to a lean mixture in the cylinders.

Jerry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version