CVO Technical > Twin Cam

Stuck in traffic oil light came on,oil pressure was 0 on the gauge?

(1/4) > >>

Jordan1200:
Well, I was on my way to Whitby the afternoon after work and got stuck in a major accident traffic jam. The traffic had started moving and all of a sudden the bike started making a nasty mechanical noise and I notice the oil light come on flickering and then solid
and the oil pressure dropped right off I immediately pulled over and turned the bike off.
I checked the oil, it was full....
I let the bike cool for about 30 min. And tried to turn it over to see if it was siezed.
It did start right up but the oil light wouldn't turn off unless I revved it up some. So I turned it off again and had it towed home because the dealer is closed. By the time the bike was off the flatbed it was cool. So I teied to start it to see if anything changed. It had, the soul light went off immediately.
As far as I am concerned, the bike oil pressure should never drop to zero psi..
No matter how hot it is...
I have heard of bikes getting really hot in stop and go traffic but a total drop off of oil pressure.....
The metallic noises I heard didn't sit well with me...

I do have an ESP but I am wondering what the dealer will find if anything because the oil pressure was back. If they don't tear it apart and I have a problem after my warranty runs out( next spring). I am stuck with a major repair.
If they do tear it apart and find nothing, I am stuck with a major repair bill... I am nervous to ride it not wanting to possibly cause more damage.
Frustrated and confused

grc:
Unfortunately it's not uncommon for oil pressure to drop to or near zero when you get a Twin Cam extremely hot.  Sitting still or barely moving in traffic doesn't move enough air over the cylinders and heads to effectively cool the engine.  Combined with a stock fuel map, sitting at idle can quickly overheat the engine and oil.

What type and viscosity oil are you using?  I highly recommend a good quality synthetic in 20w50 (or 20w60 in very hot conditions).  Synthetics hold up much better at high temps.  Do you have the EITC (engine idle temperature control) system engaged so the rear cylinder shuts down at idle at high temps?  If not, consider turning it on.

If you find yourself in traffic jams fairly often, you might want to consider engine cooling fans and/or a fan assisted oil cooler.  Also consider shutting the engine down when stopped dead in the water, so to speak.  Use the run/stop switch to keep everything else powered up for quicker restart when it's time to move again.  I've always done that when stopped for things like trains.

Since you shut it down quickly and didn't just keep riding slowly along while the pressure was zero, I doubt you did any serious damage.

JMHO - Jerry

Jordan1200:
Hey thanks for the response. I run Lucas 20w-50 full Synthetic. I have a stage 1 map from a street tuner.
The dealer will want to open it up that is the part that scares me, if they don't find anyt5i am on the hook for 5-6 hours labour. If they do, maybe weeks before I get it back with the way HD gets it's parts from the USA now. No Canada warehouses

dayne66:
For me ...ESP has been very good to have..... a complete rebuild of the motor and trans at 65,000 km....2 compensators, wheel bearings, a chain tensioner, a rear tire, and a bunch of little things. That was on the first ESP. I have put another 5 years on and already have had a new compensator installed......and the motor trans does not feel right and makes some noises....but, of course....is completely normal.

I would not own a Harley without protection!

r0de_runr:
1.  Do not call the dealer yet.

2.  Change the oil.  Perhaps a good 20W60.

3.  Go for a ride.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version