CVO Technical > Twin Cam

Look at my drain plug...chunky!

<< < (2/4) > >>

J.D.:
I believe the manual calls for thread paste, so that's what they do.

grc:

The drain plug has normal threads, not pipe threads, so sealant is not needed as long as the O-ring is good.  There is no Harley recommendation in my manual to use anything on the oil drain plug threads.  That doesn't stop people working on Harley's from slathering on the old pipe dope however.  Or better yet, if yours is shiny some lamebrain probably used silicone sealant.  Some so-called mechanics seem to think silicone will fix anything, just like duct tape.  I try to avoid those people.

As noted above, those drain plug O-rings are easily torn if the surface on the pan or the plug has any sharp edges.  Clean-up any such surface damage (or if the plug just replace it) and install a new O-ring, then torque the plug (14 - 21 ft-lb).  I did that on my 2005 when I found the O-ring torn on the first oil change, haven't had an O-ring break since.

Jerry

dayne66:
After finding that the chunks were not metal and settling down ...I proceed to remove the filter.....wont turn and the Harley wrench jumps over the bumps......once again have to sink a self-tapping screw through the wrench and into the filter.

OBB:

--- Quote from: dayne66 on May 24, 2020, 11:36:45 AM ---After finding that the chunks were not metal and settling down ...I proceed to remove the filter.....wont turn and the Harley wrench jumps over the bumps......once again have to sink a self-tapping screw through the wrench and into the filter.

--- End quote ---
Just ran into the same issue on my '12 changing the filter. At some point and time in my life I bought a spring loaded OF clamp style wrench that actually digs into the OF. Managed to get it off with that but your idea seems a whole lot easier.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

dayne66:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version