Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well that was an expensive fill up (dropped the friggin gas cap!)  (Read 3619 times)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member

I went to fill up today and when I take the gas cap off, I usually put it on my seat and its fine.  Well today, for some reason, it fell off of my seat.  And...of course...it landed chrome side down!  Be the anal bastard that I am, I went to ,y dealer and ended up buying a new one.  It is a little different then what is on there (you can see the spring and the edges are more "knurled", but the computer said it fits.  

The moral of the story, whe gasing up, put the cap on the ground, or its gonna cost you $25 for gas and $70 for a new cap! >:( :'(

Kent

Re: Well that was an expensive fill up (dropped the friggin gas cap!)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »

That is cheap go buy a headlight, caught a rock that is $119

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »

yes, and those flush mount gas caps are fragile as well.  I had one on my 2008 FXSTC, and dropped it...fell apart and would not go back together.  Now when I fill up, I place the cap very carefully on the top of the gas pump to ensure it doesn't fall!
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »

The part number that the dealer had and said fit was different then what came with the bike.  The original is 61100004 and what they had and the computer said is what works 63135-10.  He showed me the parts diagram and 63135-10 is what it showed. 

They are definitely different looking....I'm going to order the original part number tomorrow.  I bought the other one because it annoyed the chit out of me to put one with the edge chipped and gouges on the top.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

The part number that the dealer had and said fit was different then what came with the bike.  The original is 61100004 and what they had and the computer said is what works 63135-10.  He showed me the parts diagram and 63135-10 is what it showed.  

They are definitely different looking....I'm going to order the original part number tomorrow.  I bought the other one because it annoyed the chit out of me to put one with the edge chipped and gouges on the top.

Hey Nicky, be careful here.  they made a design change on this cap at some point.  I had the original one and I went through two of them with my old bike(sorry, can't remember the part number).  dropped them twice and twice they broke apart and would not fit back together-both times replaced under warranty...a really bad scene since I just filled up each time and couldn't put my cap back on.  i actually had to start carrying my old OEM gas cap in my jacket all the time as a backup.

When I got the CVO I was relieved to see that the flush cap has been redesigned(it doesn't have as many interconnecting pieces to it), so I am hoping it is more durable, but I am not taking any chances per my above post...

If I was in your position, I would demand that they provide the exact part number out of the Breakout service manual to ensure you get the "new" version of this cap...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:34:51 AM by Z06_Pilot »
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »

I went to fill up today and when I take the gas cap off, I usually put it on my seat and its fine.  Well today, for some reason, it fell off of my seat.  And...of course...it landed chrome side down!  Be the anal bastard that I am, I went to ,y dealer and ended up buying a new one.  It is a little different then what is on there (you can see the spring and the edges are more "knurled", but the computer said it fits.  

The moral of the story, whe gasing up, put the cap on the ground, or its gonna cost you $25 for gas and $70 for a new cap! >:( :'(

OH my... dont step on it.   :nervous:
I think the top of the gas pump would be a little safer.   ;)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »

Hey Nicky, be careful here.  they made a design change on this cap at some point.  I had the original one and I went through two of them with my old bike(sorry, can't remember the part number).  dropped them twice and twice they broke apart and would not fit back together-both times replaced under warranty...a really bad scene since I just filled up each time and couldn't put my cap back on.  i actually had to start carrying my old OEM gas cap in my jacket all the time as a backup.

When I got the CVO I was relieved to see that the flush cap has been redesigned(it doesn't have as many interconnecting pieces to it), so I am hoping it is more durable, but I am not taking any chances per my above post...

If I was in your position, I would demand that they provide the exact part number out of the Breakout service manual to ensure you get the "new" version of this cap...

I'm going to order the exact part number tomorrow.  I just couldn't look at the messed up cap!  I'm going to order it on the web to get it faster.

The funny thing is that when the parts guy showed me the parts breakdown on the computer, the part number was the one I bought and NOT the number of the one actually on the bike.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:59:05 AM by Nicky Pass »

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »

I ordered the correct part number just now.  Its gonna take over a week to get, but oh well.....

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
  • Breakout and say no to baggers.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »

yes, and those flush mount gas caps are fragile as well.  I had one on my 2008 FXSTC, and dropped it...fell apart and would not go back together.  Now when I fill up, I place the cap very carefully on the top of the gas pump to ensure it doesn't fall!

70 bucks? Wow, I need to stick that thing in my vest when I top off.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »

I actually looked the the temporary replacement and compared it with the correct part and there was a big difference!  The temporary one was a lot shorter...which makes me wonder if fuel could slosh into the fill area.  I put the correct replacement part on....and even though it was around $120 for both, I will feel a little more comfortable.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.