Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 Riders Killed on Arizona Highway 377 outside Holbrook Saturday  (Read 5775 times)

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member

Two riders were killed yesterday in AZ on Highway 377 between Holbrook and Heber.  Fortunately I was spared seeing the graphics.  But what ensued certainly is cause for a moment of prayer for the individuals and their families for their loss.
I was on my way back from the Laughlin Run on Saturday and encountered a roadblock at Arizona Hwy 377.  It had been blocked since noon after the accident happened.  It took close to 5 hours for DOT to investigate and clear the scene.  The young man from DOT at the roadblock said it would not be long before it opened again so I decided to wait.  Shortly after, another rider from Missouri arrived heading for next week's HOG rally in Tucson and decided to wait.

The DOT worker said 2 riders were passing a vehicle on the uphill climb just before the Dry Lakes and hit a BMW head on just over the crest.  The driver of the car was ok but the riders were killed instantly.  I will avoid describing what the young man shared of the scene, but I can tell you, I could not stop thinking about it all day today.

The road had just been oiled a week earlier with signs on the side of the road  indicating there were no "road marks".  It was 15 miles before we would reach the scene and it had started to sprinkle lightly with strong crosswinds so we were not too excited about traveling the "oiled highway".
You could just barely see where the "old stripes" were beneath the new oil coating and it was even harder to define the passing zones.  As I continued down the road, I started to wonder what happened.  Certainly without road markings I found myself not wanting to pass a slower truck in front of us until I could be certain I had an unobstructed view for an “extended stretch”.  (Not always easy on this road).
We slowed as we approached the crest, not knowing what to expect as we came over the top.  There were small bits of debris still remaining on both sides of the road and skid marks on the road from other vehicles that were in the area when the accident occurred.  There were no skid marks at the point of impact where a larger “portion” of one of the bikes remained after being burned.  The remains of the riders had been removed earlier and the car that was involved passed us on a flatbed heading out from the highway entrance earlier.  The front engine compartment was crushed up to the firewall but the windshield was intact.  As I mentioned earlier the driver of the car was not injured seriously.  I did not want to stop, but I will say there was a chill that ran down my arms realizing what had happened earlier.
Again, my thoughts and prayers expressed to the riders and their families of this horrible accident.
Too soon to be in any of the major news reports for a very small little known area of north of our White Mountain area.  Not sure if they were from the area or from out of town heading for the HOG Rally.
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: 2 Riders Killed on Arizona Highway 377 outside Holbrook Saturday
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:27:03 AM »

So sorry to hear this sad story.  Prayers and best wishes to family and friends of those involved.  We see the parts of autos on the sides of roads every day, but in a cage, you may have a fighting chance.  On two wheels, we are very vulnerable. 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:04:54 AM »

Very sorry to hear of the accident Magicl1.  I know it was hard for you to tell.  Prayers to the family, truck driver, response team, and car driver as they will have memories they will never forget.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:22:50 AM by Boatman »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:20:45 AM »

This story gave me a start as my cousin was headed for Laughlin this weekend from Scottsdale.  I recall they decided to drive though.  I think he had already shipped his Street Glide home only had a bar bike down there which his wife won't ride far on.

Thoughts and prayers to the riders and other unwilling participants as well.

With riding season just getting going in most of the country it is a harsh reminded of always being alert and having rock solid escape plan at all times when on the road.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »

Sad story for all involved,  will say a prayer for all involved.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 03:40:44 PM »

Sad story I will keep a look out for more details.  Wonder where they were headed?
No where near Phoenix and there are much more direct ways to get to Tucson. 

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 12:07:46 AM »

Sad story I will keep a look out for more details.  Wonder where they were headed?
No where near Phoenix and there are much more direct ways to get to Tucson. 

Nothing in the papers or news (but I do not spend a lot of time watching TV).  Actually this is a popular (and more scenic) cut through to avoid Flagstaff and I-17 South.  Truckers get the heads up on the radio about I-17 and make the detour.
The rider that pulled up behind me to wait had ridden over 600 miles from Missouri the day before, staying in New Mexico overnight.  Headed for North Phoenix to stay with family before heading down to the Rally.
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 12:30:30 AM »

Just hearing the setup made my stomach hurt.

Hopefully, all of us on this forum are patient with the cages and would just turn up our radios on a backed up hill....

Pray for the departed and pray for patience and wisdom for the living.

Mark

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 12:53:32 PM »

Thoughts are with the families

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »

It is always difficult when you see accident scenes because it really hits home as to the potential dangers of riding a motorcycle.  A few years back while at the Sturgis Rally, I was an unfortunate witness to three different accidents that resulted in fatalities.  While a couple of them were the result of foolishness and/or inexperience, one was an older couple that were completly innocent victims - could have been anyone - including me and my wife.  I always think I am a safe and cautious rider, but seeing scenes as you did really makes you think about it...

my condolences to the families....Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 03:09:30 PM »

Thank you for the poignant and eloquent way in which you made this post and while informing your fellow site members of the consequences of even a brief lack of caution also showed great respect for the deceased. A very rare thing.

Having read this thread, I am all to aware of why my wife has such grave concern when I strike out alone for some faraway part of the country. And yet, in reading this, it validates my belief that I am actually safer alone. I am most certainly not casting even the smallest of aspersions on either of these downed riders but experience would dictate that one of them made the decision to pass and the other followed - - - brothers to the end. So sad, so tragic and yet, probably so avoidable. I will be the first to admit that I do not ride the same when alone as when I am with a close friend. I will take off when not 100% sure and follow the same. In reading this thread, I hope others come to the same conclusion and make a silent promise to themselves to be at all times their own rider. To stay within their own limits of ability and reason. And yet while we might still be reading of another loss, perhaps it will be only one who is gone and the other left to greive.

Vaya con Dios to our fallen breathren and to all of you as well

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 10:47:53 PM »

Thank you for the poignant and eloquent way in which you made this post and while informing your fellow site members of the consequences of even a brief lack of caution also showed great respect for the deceased. A very rare thing.

Having read this thread, I am all to aware of why my wife has such grave concern when I strike out alone for some faraway part of the country. And yet, in reading this, it validates my belief that I am actually safer alone. I am most certainly not casting even the smallest of aspersions on either of these downed riders but experience would dictate that one of them made the decision to pass and the other followed - - - brothers to the end. So sad, so tragic and yet, probably so avoidable. I will be the first to admit that I do not ride the same when alone as when I am with a close friend. I will take off when not 100% sure and follow the same. In reading this thread, I hope others come to the same conclusion and make a silent promise to themselves to be at all times their own rider. To stay within their own limits of ability and reason. And yet while we might still be reading of another loss, perhaps it will be only one who is gone and the other left to greive.

Vaya con Dios to our fallen breathren and to all of you as well

B B

Could not agree with you more Big B.  Call it maturity -  self confidence - experience, whatever the proper term is - making you own decisions and doing what your senses tell you to do (vs. following the leader) will definitely keep you safer.  Peer pressure to keep up with the group by blasting a stop light, making a risky pass, or exceeding your abilities are traits of the young and foolish.  Not to suggest this was the cause of the accident on 377 - because I don't know - just agreeing with Big B's words of wisdom and caution.

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.