Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: SYN 3 decree  (Read 6234 times)

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
SYN 3 decree
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:43:16 PM »

I finally got a minute to look at the Summer '07 Harley Enthusiast magazine. On page 11 is a letter to the editor titled "Which Lube?"
A guy writes "I own a 2007 FLHX. My owner's manual specifies only one fluid for the transmission and primary case: Formula+. I want to change both my tranny and primary case fluids to SYN3 because of the superior film strength and wear protection of synthetic lubricants at high temperatures. Would I void the warranty if this lubricant is not specified in the H-D owner's manual?"

Reply from Editor: "SYN3 is the only synthetic motor oil that does not impact your 24-month warranty. And switching to SYN3 is easy because it isn't necessary to flush the compartments. Simply drain and refill."

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 03:29:13 PM by bobaroni »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: SYN 3 decree
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:44:08 PM »

What a crock!!!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 03:30:18 PM »

From the testing I've seen, it would be a syn to use SYN 3.  It appears to be among the worst performing synthetic oils available.  -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 03:38:17 PM »

I finally got a minute to look at the Summer '07 Harley Enthusiast magazine. On page 11 is a letter to the editor titled "Which Lube?"
A guy writes "I own a 2007 FLHX. My owner's manual specifies only one fluid for the transmission and primary case: Formula+. I want to change both my tranny and primary case fluids to SYN3 because of the superior film strength and wear protection of synthetic lubricants at high temperatures. Would I void the warranty if this lubricant is not specified in the H-D owner's manual?"

Reply from Editor: "SYN3 is the only synthetic motor oil that does not impact your 24-month warranty. And switching to SYN3 is easy because it isn't necessary to flush the compartments. Simply drain and refill."

Noticed that one myself.  In fact my copy is lying here next to the computer opened to that page so I'll remember to pen a nice little note to the idiot who wrote that.  I'm not sure if that person is just ignorant of the law, or trying to drum up extra SYN3 business by ignoring the law.  Either way, he's full of chit.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »

Noticed that one myself.  In fact my copy is lying here next to the computer opened to that page so I'll remember to pen a nice little note to the idiot who wrote that.  I'm not sure if that person is just ignorant of the law, or trying to drum up extra SYN3 business by ignoring the law.  Either way, he's full of chit.

Jerry
Considering the source (Enthusiast Magazine) I'm not surprised of that statement being in there. That's not the first time something totally off the wall has come out of the mouths of some MoCo representatives.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »

Jerry

...as a Christmas Turkey....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 08:51:11 AM »

I don't have any info to confirm this, but I've been told that HD farms out the Syn3 to the manufacturer with the lowest bid, not the highest quality!!

They probably wrote this themselves, superior film strength and wear protection!!!!! :P ;D :D Sounds like a HD ad to me!

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:23:50 PM »

Got all my Amsoil K&Nfilters and redline shockproff to change all three bikes wiil do them this weekend . Going to spray the syn3 on a gravel road to help in dust control . :o :o

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:49:25 PM »

I don't have any info to confirm this, but I've been told that HD farms out the Syn3 to the manufacturer with the lowest bid, not the highest quality!!

They probably wrote this themselves, superior film strength and wear protection!!!!! :P ;D :D Sounds like a HD ad to me!
Talon,

Farming it out to the lowest bidder isn't unusual, other vehicle manufacturers do the same thing.  They publish a basic specification listing performance criteria and then leave it to the experts (oil companies) to do the actual formulating.  Unfortunately, the competitive bidding process guarantees that you won't get anything more than the minimum required to meet the manufacturer's specification.  And the "superior film strength and wear protection" statement is what we call puffery.  Superior to what, dino oil, castor oil, water, what?  A totally meaningless statement, typical of modern advertising.

The part that ticks me off is how they continue to make dishonest statements like this one in the Enthusiast.  How many years did they lie about using synthetics and intimate they would cause engine failures and void the warranty?  Total BS, and yet they kept the BS flowing right up until they introduced their own brand of synthetic.  I'm convinced the MoCo has more and better "spin doctors" and propagandists than the average politician.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:19:34 PM »

As with most magazines around here, that one ended up in the bin next to the porcelin throne in our half bath.  I saw that shameless punch as well.   :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 10:35:49 PM »

Guys it really does not make a difference which oil you use. The most important issue is to change oil every 2500 miles and choose the correct viscosity of oil for you temperature you are in. Proper warm up is critical for longevity of the engine. This has work for me for over 30,000 hours operating air cooled engines both in the air and on the ground.
No problems yet. When oil turns dark get it out of there.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:53:35 PM by theslash »
SLASH

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:51:48 PM »

Guys it really does not make a difference which oil you use. The most important issue is to change oil every 2500 miles and choose the correct viscosty of oil for you temputure you are ridding in. Proper warm up is criddical for longjevty of the engine.
Hmmm, that's odd the MoCo is only requiring/suggesting that oil be changed every 5K miles since it went to Syn3. :confused5:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:22 AM »

Guys it really does not make a difference which oil you use. The most important issue is to change oil every 2500 miles and choose the correct viscosity of oil for you temperature you are in. Proper warm up is critical for longevity of the engine. This has work for me for over 30,000 hours operating air cooled engines both in the air and on the ground.

I don't know if I agree with this statement, good synthetic oils are far superior to dino oils. There are 16 major test set by ASTM that the API group use to test oils, most high quality synthetic oils far out perform dino oil. One major difference among many is the drop in viscosity of dino oil vs synthetic oils, you definitely need to keep a lower mileage schedule with dino oil because of this. Also the mileage is not the only thing to take into account with oil changes. Oils especially dino oils will create corrosive acids over time, so if you ride you bike 1,500 mikes and put it away because of a bad winter and don't ride it much for 3-4 months, theoretically if you change your oil every 2,500 miles you still have 1,000 miles. Well these acids are corroding you bearings and matting surfaces. Dino oil is likely to create more acids than synthetic. So if your going to put you bike up for s long period of time you should change the oil before storing.
To me the main thing in regards to extended oil change intervals is filtering, good filters and good synthetic oil will extend this interval, but I'm not sure how good filters for motorcycles are, so I wouldn't push it to far.
                                       Just my 2 cents!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 11:17:52 AM »

I think if you use a high quality Synthetic oil like Amsoil, Mobil 1, or some others that are SPECIFICALLY designed for the conditions our air cooled motors encounter, changing oil sooner than 5K is simply wasting the product, which is something none of us need to be doing.  The exception to this rule are those who consistantly ride is extremely harsh conditions (heavy traffic, extreme dust, short rides where engine does not reach proper operating temps).  Most of the people on this board RIDE their bikes from what I've read, and 5K between changes has been shown to be more than adequate.  A K&N, Amsoil, or HD filter is fine for those change intervals, IMO.  Prior to long term storage, a bike's fluids should always be changed, IMO.

BTW...I wouldn't run Syn3 in my lawnmower, and it's a HONDA.

TTS Mastertune

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »

I think if you use a high quality Synthetic oil like Amsoil, Mobil 1, or some others that are SPECIFICALLY designed for the conditions our air cooled motors encounter, changing oil sooner than 5K is simply wasting the product, which is something none of us need to be doing.  The exception to this rule are those who consistently ride is extremely harsh conditions (heavy traffic, extreme dust, short rides where engine does not reach proper operating temps).  Most of the people on this board RIDE their bikes from what I've read, and 5K between changes has been shown to be more than adequate.  A K&N, Amsoil, or HD filter is fine for those change intervals, IMO.  Prior to long term storage, a bike's fluids should always be changed, IMO.

BTW...I wouldn't run Syn3 in my lawnmower, and it's a HONDA.

I agree! I run Mobil1 in the motor, and Redline in the trans and primary.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 11:12:12 PM »

Droped all oils SYN3 out of bikes today noticed that the 110 springer with 700 miles on the oil was black ,compaired to the evo fat boy with 2200 miles and the 02 cvo dyna with 1500 miles on the oil. This is the second change on the spring  I think the heat issue contributed to this.....

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 03:10:18 AM »

Question for you boys...I have heard that cold storage tends to introduce water into the system especially if it is in freezing conditions and off and on freezing introduces more.  Wouldn't it be more prudent to change fluids BEFORE riding in the spring rather than before storage in the fall/winter??? :confused5: :confused5: :confused5: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 07:00:19 AM »

While I'd certainly say that SYN 3 is not the best synthetic out there , I've used it  in my last 3 bikes and found it to perform better than dino oil, which was used during break in periods.  Amsoil, Mobil 1 , Royal Purple and Red Line are all viable and likely better alternatives.  The Moco want to keep folks over a barrel (oil in this case) during warranty so they can aqueeze more $$ out of them as usual. 
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 08:30:02 AM »

Question for you boys...I have heard that cold storage tends to introduce water into the system especially if it is in freezing conditions and off and on freezing introduces more.  Wouldn't it be more prudent to change fluids BEFORE riding in the spring rather than before storage in the fall/winter??? :confused5: :confused5: :confused5: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Seegarz,

Not really.  It is the combination of water vapor and combustion byproducts that forms acids.  By changing the oil and running the engine just long enough to circulate the fresh oil throughout the engine immediately before winter storage, you eliminate the combustion byproduct part of the equation.  When you take your first 20 mile ride in the spring, any water vapor in the engine or the oil will be boiled off.

Jerry

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 10:43:16 AM »

Thanx Jerry,
The learning here is just absolutely unbelievable.  Ever think about writing a CVO for Dummies guide?  If so, I will be the first in line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »

Anyone familiar with Redline MTL trans fluid, has a pink color but not as thick and pepto color as Shockproof?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 12:36:07 PM »

Anyone familiar with Redline MTL trans fluid, has a pink color but not as thick and pepto color as Shockproof?

Use it in the Primary, not the Trans, Rooster. Shockproof Heavy in the Trans. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 12:40:19 PM »

Thanks Hoist, I was suspicious even though it said trans fluid

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 12:44:54 PM »

Don't forget, they don't just make this stuff for us. It's good in other Trans applications. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 02:19:04 PM »

Use it in the Primary, not the Trans, Rooster. Shockproof Heavy in the Trans. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Whaddya like for the motor dude?  Ima fixing to drop all the fluids.  Had to go buy wheel weights today(chrome), they flew off..10 each 1/4 oz for only $4 n change...I think I dropped a fin on the local hog chapter box fer the hot dog n water.  That the cheapest I got outta there in ages...Saw the black 08 serk...very nice cept fer all that is wrong for $37k otd.

Miker

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 03:29:56 PM »

Whaddya like for the motor dude?  Ima fixing to drop all the fluids.  Had to go buy wheel weights today(chrome), they flew off..10 each 1/4 oz for only $4 n change...I think I dropped a fin on the local hog chapter box fer the hot dog n water.  That the cheapest I got outta there in ages...Saw the black 08 serk...very nice cept fer all that is wrong for $37k otd.

Miker

I use Mobile 1 V-Twin. It's the easiest to get. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 08:23:35 AM »

Yea, like Hoist, I use it in my primary, Heavy Shockproof in the trans, and Mobil1 in the motor. All work really well, the Heavy Shockproof in the trans, makes a big difference you can actually feel and hear when you shift.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 08:51:37 AM »

Saw their little comment also, was wondering if this would be enough (since the MoCo puts out the Mag) to hold them to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act portion where it says they "must" supply it if it is the only oil you can use to uphold the warranty.  Any lawyers out there??

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 09:08:25 AM »

Saw their little comment also, was wondering if this would be enough (since the MoCo puts out the Mag) to hold them to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act portion where it says they "must" supply it if it is the only oil you can use to uphold the warranty.  Any lawyers out there??
FR8TRN,

Doubtful, and even if it was free I would continue to buy and use Mobil 1 anyway.  BTW, I did send an email to the editors of that fine publication.  I mentioned the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, and the fact that under that federal law the statement made in the mag was totally incorrect.  I then requested a correction/retraction in the next issue.  I'm currently sitting here turning blue while I hold my breath.

They actually did answer my email, but unfortunately it was one of those boilerplate form letter type of responses, with no detail.

Jerry

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »

FR8TRN,

Doubtful, and even if it was free I would continue to buy and use Mobil 1 anyway.  BTW, I did send an email to the editors of that fine publication.  I mentioned the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, and the fact that under that federal law the statement made in the mag was totally incorrect.  I then requested a correction/retraction in the next issue.  I'm currently sitting here turning blue while I hold my breath.

They actually did answer my email, but unfortunately it was one of those boilerplate form letter type of responses, with no detail.

Jerry

Ya just never know though, some lawyer gets ahold of it we could all be getting free oil....I'd use it....only problem I have with Syn3 is the cost.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 09:04:16 PM »

Changed to the REDLINE Heavy Shockproof in the trany I can't tell much difference in the 07 spring the 95 FB seems to have quieted down. are you guys selling snake oil????? :o :o

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 10:40:41 PM »

Changed to the REDLINE Heavy Shockproof in the trany I can't tell much difference in the 07 spring the 95 FB seems to have quieted down. are you guys selling snake oil????? :o :o

No, that would be the MoCo selling snake oil.  Skippy, the odds are that a simple lube change isn't going to eliminate the noise issue with the new Cruise Drive trans in 5th and 6th gears.  There are too many engineering issues with the design that create noise. The Redline can help when compared to the inferior SYN3, but it won't perform miracles.

Some of the members claim adding the new cush drive accessory to the rear wheel has helped quiet the trans as well as smooth out the powertrain at low speeds.  :nixweiss:

Jerry

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 11:09:29 AM »

No, that would be the MoCo selling snake oil.  Skippy, the odds are that a simple lube change isn't going to eliminate the noise issue with the new Cruise Drive trans in 5th and 6th gears.  There are too many engineering issues with the design that create noise. The Redline can help when compared to the inferior SYN3, but it won't perform miracles.

Some of the members claim adding the new cush drive accessory to the rear wheel has helped quiet the trans as well as smooth out the powertrain at low speeds:nixweiss:

Jerry

I've read that on a couple of other forums as well...it is supposed to help, at least from those reports I've read, plus what the local SM told me when he test drove an 08.

Jerry....where are you finding your Mobil 1 now?  The place I was getting mine has quit handling it (for reasons unknown to the counter guys), and I've looked all over town to no avail.  I was able to find some Amsoil at one of the local Indy shops, so may just go with that.  It's six of one and half a dozen of the other between Amsoil and Mobil 1 anyway.

TTS Mastertune

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »

In my town Autozone carries Mobil1.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2007, 02:07:34 PM »

I can get Mobil 1 Vtwin here or Purple something or other for motorcycles...which is better?  Mobile 1 is cheaper by about $3.  What else can I use besides Redline Heavy Shock Proof for the tranny (can't find that yet)?  I am over in Germany now and am not sure what I should use or what I can get my grubby hands on.  What are people using in the primary?

Seegarsmkr

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007, 02:25:19 PM »

Mobil1 is probably better, I have used Royal Purple in my differentials of 4X4 with limited slip, works great, but their oil has some additives that are the greatest for motor oil. Amsoil is good the trans, I think you can order it on-line, below is their ordering site, not sure about the UK.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/default.aspx?zo=5931

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 04:54:16 PM »

.................................................Jerry....where are you finding your Mobil 1 now?  The place I was getting mine has quit handling it (for reasons unknown to the counter guys), and I've looked all over town to no avail.  I was able to find some Amsoil at one of the local Indy shops, so may just go with that.  It's six of one and half a dozen of the other between Amsoil and Mobil 1 anyway.
Terry,

I haven't purchased any so far this year (still finishing off the two cases I bought last year), but I've been buying mine at AutoZone.  They used to have it out with the rest of their oil, then I had to ask at the counter when they stopped putting it out on display.  Hopefully they still have it, but if not I'll probably just buy it online.  BTW - if you're on the road and need a quart, just use the 15W50 automotive oil if you can't find V-Twin.  That's what I used for years prior to Mobil coming out with the V-Twin.

I almost forgot this possible source.  I assume you have a Walmart somewhere close, since they seem to be almost as ubiquitous as Mickey-D's.  I have actually seen Mobil-1 V-Twin in the local Walmart, in a separate little motorcycle section near the auto section.  Worth a try.

Jerry

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007, 05:06:01 PM »

Terry,

I haven't purchased any so far this year (still finishing off the two cases I bought last year), but I've been buying mine at AutoZone.  They used to have it out with the rest of their oil, then I had to ask at the counter when they stopped putting it out on display.  Hopefully they still have it, but if not I'll probably just buy it online.  BTW - if you're on the road and need a quart, just use the 15W50 automotive oil if you can't find V-Twin.  That's what I used for years prior to Mobil coming out with the V-Twin.

I almost forgot this possible source.  I assume you have a Walmart somewhere close, since they seem to be almost as ubiquitous as Mickey-D's.  I have actually seen Mobil-1 V-Twin in the local Walmart, in a separate little motorcycle section near the auto section.  Worth a try.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry...I was getting it from Advanced Auto, but like I said, they quit handling it.  I called all the Wal Marks in town, but they all said they did not carry.  I'll walk in one of the Auto Zone stores myself and ask them for it.  Some of these places is like walking up to the HD parts counter...know what I mean, Vern?   ;)  I have at least found a local source for Amsoil and Redline products...the dumbasses at the local HD dealer decided they would not let their BEST parts guy finish his college degree working part time, so now he's working for a nice Indy shop, as I discovered quite by accident.  The only parts guy I trusted at HD to know what the hell I was asking for when I went in, and could actually produce it without winding his a$$ and scratching his watch for 20 minutes while my blood pressure goes up....

TTS Mastertune

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »

Thanks, Jerry...I was getting it from Advanced Auto, but like I said, they quit handling it.  I called all the Wal Marks in town, but they all said they did not carry.  I'll walk in one of the Auto Zone stores myself and ask them for it.  Some of these places is like walking up to the HD parts counter...know what I mean, Vern?   ;)  I have at least found a local source for Amsoil and Redline products...the dumbasses at the local HD dealer decided they would not let their BEST parts guy finish his college degree working part time, so now he's working for a nice Indy shop, as I discovered quite by accident.  The only parts guy I trusted at HD to know what the hell I was asking for when I went in, and could actually produce it without winding his a$$ and scratching his watch for 20 minutes while my blood pressure goes up....

Wow Terry, it sounds like we go to the same dealership.   :nervous:  It must be the HD new employee training that gives all of the parts guys that blank look on their face.   ???  ???  ???

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »

Wow Terry, it sounds like we go to the same dealership.   :nervous:  It must be the HD new employee training that gives all of the parts guys that blank look on their face.   ???  ???  ???

Yea, T...it's that nice slack-jawed look.  It's like you've just asked them what the meaning of life is or something...

I really shouldn't say this, but:  I don't know if you ever saw the Saturday Night Live skits with "Pat"?   Well we've got one at the local dealerships...I think it's a girl, but I'm really not sure... ;D

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2007, 05:38:20 PM »

I can get Mobil 1 Vtwin here or Purple something or other for motorcycles...which is better?  Mobile 1 is cheaper by about $3.  What else can I use besides Redline Heavy Shock Proof for the tranny (can't find that yet)?  I am over in Germany now and am not sure what I should use or what I can get my grubby hands on.  What are people using in the primary?

Seegarz,

I'm attaching the overall results page from a motorcycle oil test performed in March of '06 (the entire file is too big to post here).  Royal Purple is ranked 8th of the oils tested, Amsoil is #1 and Mobil-1 V-Twin is #2.  In reality, any of the oils listed will give satisfactory service, but if you're looking for the best readily available product it would be Mobil-1.  Amsoil tests a little better, but isn't the easiest stuff to find.

You can use Amsoil or Mobil-1 in the trans just like SYN3 - note that the gear wear test results for all three are excellent.  If you are like me and prefer a dedicated gear lube, I can recommend Mobil-1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W90 or 75W140 if you can't find the Redline Shockproof Heavy.  I've also used the Golden Spectro 75W140 in the past, often found at Honda and Yamaha shops.

As for the primary, as long as what you use is compatible with a wet clutch, it really doesn't matter.  All you're doing is lubricating the primary chain and cooling the clutch.  I've used the separate primary oil H-D used to sell, the Formula+ they sell now, the original SYN3 in my SEEG, and Mobil-1 V-Twin.  No noticeable difference with any of the above.  In an effort to cut down on the number of different lubes on the shelf, I personally plan to use Mobil-1 V-Twin in the primary as well as the engine from now on, and continue with the Redline in the trans.

Jerry

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »

I use Redline in all 3 holes (3 different products) and the 20W50 Redline isn't even in Jerry's list.  Now Redline has two 20W50's available.  One for automotive and the latest I purchased for air cooled vtwins.
The Vtwin 20W50 is more money.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2007, 11:08:12 PM »

Guess I'm fortunate but the parts guys (and gal) at both Bumpus stores are pretty sharp.  Never stumped any of them and believe me I've tried!  It's so nice to be spoiled.  Now if only they and the techs could permanetly fix this leaking head gasket problem I'd be totally bored with nothing to complain / worry about.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 01:54:55 PM »

Seegarz,

I'm attaching the overall results page from a motorcycle oil test performed in March of '06 (the entire file is too big to post here).  Royal Purple is ranked 8th of the oils tested, Amsoil is #1 and Mobil-1 V-Twin is #2.  In reality, any of the oils listed will give satisfactory service, but if you're looking for the best readily available product it would be Mobil-1.  Amsoil tests a little better, but isn't the easiest stuff to find.

You can use Amsoil or Mobil-1 in the trans just like SYN3 - note that the gear wear test results for all three are excellent.  If you are like me and prefer a dedicated gear lube, I can recommend Mobil-1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W90 or 75W140 if you can't find the Redline Shockproof Heavy.  I've also used the Golden Spectro 75W140 in the past, often found at Honda and Yamaha shops.

As for the primary, as long as what you use is compatible with a wet clutch, it really doesn't matter.  All you're doing is lubricating the primary chain and cooling the clutch.  I've used the separate primary oil H-D used to sell, the Formula+ they sell now, the original SYN3 in my SEEG, and Mobil-1 V-Twin.  No noticeable difference with any of the above.  In an effort to cut down on the number of different lubes on the shelf, I personally plan to use Mobil-1 V-Twin in the primary as well as the engine from now on, and continue with the Redline in the trans.

Jerry

Thanx again for schooling my primitive mind.  I will see what I can do locally the USPS doesn't mind shipping seegarz too much but they really frown on mailing petroleum products...something to do with being flammable or some such rediculuous thing. :confused5: :huepfenlol2:

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Seegarsmkr

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2007, 10:44:19 AM »

I disagree, when I put Amsoil in my bike it ran cooler, and sounded better.  When I changed the bike's tranny fluid to Amsoil SVG it shifted smoother and was MUCH quieter.  I agree you need to change regularly, but you need to use good filters.  If I changed the oil on my Dodge Cummins truck when it turned black that would be every 50 miles.  You cannot look at oil and tell anything about it.  I do samples on the truck and the Durango and usually change about once a year which is about 15-20 thousand miles.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2007, 11:24:16 AM »

Another debate is the use of automotive oil verses the motorcycle oil. The only real difference in a good syn auto oil and the motorcycle oil is the amount of zinc and phosphorus, auto oils are restricted as to the amount of zinc and phosphorus they can have, it has to do with damage caused to the catalytic converter. So motorcycle oil can have more of these antiware agents. The question is the extra amount of these agents really helping your bike and worth the extra money. Experts say that for GP race bikes and other sever use motorcycles the added protection is worth it, but for 90% of the street bikes it's not really getting you anything. So it's perfectly fine to run the good automotive syn oil of the correct weight in your bike. Below is a link to nightrider talking about this, also the oil bible document talks about this too.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2007, 01:12:11 PM »

I have run both the syn 3 and Amsoil in the same motor on the same bike, and you can believe it or not, but with Amsoil the motor runs quieter and cooler than with syn 3...a solid 10-15 degrees cooler on a hot day.  I changed to Amsoil, it's easy to get, and I'm sticking with it.  $92.35 per case of 12 for the V-Twin oil delivered to my door...that's $7.66 per quart...order one day, receive it the next day drop shipped from the nearest warehouse...don't have to go looking for it...it just don't get any easier than that for me.  'Nuff said...
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2007, 01:55:04 PM »

Didja just drain the old out and refill or didja flush it somehow?

Miker

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2007, 01:58:43 PM »

Miker
Miker, I just drained out the old and put in the new.  Took four quarts.  I use Amsoil in the primary too.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2007, 02:07:23 PM »

Miker

Miker...no need to flush it out.  Just get all the fluids nice and hot, then drain everything.  There might be 6 or 8 ounces left in the crankcase, but that's not enough to do any harm, and it will blend with the good stuff just fine.  Amsoil or Mobil 1 Vtwin...either will do the job.

TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2007, 02:15:09 PM »

Thanks, I will swap out fluids in the next week or so once I commence to aquire them. 
Is the HD oil filter all there is or is there an alternatice for the 110? That way I can have the pleasure of giving my money to someone else other the them, they got enough from me over the years..
 :-X
Now to get some non-deteregent dino oil for the oldster.

Miker

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2007, 02:20:09 PM »

Thanks, I will swap out fluids in the next week or so once I commence to aquire them. 
Is the HD oil filter all there is or is there an alternatice for the 110? That way I can have the pleasure of giving my money to someone else other the them, they got enough from me over the years..
 :-X
Now to get some non-deteregent dino oil for the oldster.

Miker

Personally, I use the K&N chrome oil filter.  It has a nut welded on the end of the filter which is a great help in getting the old one off...ratchet, extension, socket. 

TTS Mastertune

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »

OK guys as it turns out I have a way of ordering Amsoil via mail...is it worth nearly $2 more than Mobil 1 plus having to mail the stuff.  What would a good price for Redline heavy shock proof be and is there a viable alternative thick viscosity gear oil as a substitute (75-250 or some such is what Redline is rated) if I can't find a place to get it here; also what is the alternative in the 3rd hole just put Mobil 1 or Amsoil there too.

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Seegarsmkr

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »

Amsoil in the motor and primary, Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof in the tranny.   If Amsoil is $2 more per quart than Mobil 1 over there, then I would stick with Mobil 1...there is not that much difference between the two.  I get the Redline from a local indie, so I don't have a good online source.  Tried to buy it from www.myoilshop.com, but it was a terrible experience and had to get my money refunded...never again from them.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 03:04:29 PM »

Amsoil in the motor and primary, Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof in the tranny.   If Amsoil is $2 more per quart than Mobil 1 over there, then I would stick with Mobil 1...there is not that much difference between the two.  I get the Redline from a local indie, so I don't have a good online source.  Tried to buy it from www.myoilshop.com, but it was a terrible experience and had to get my money refunded...never again from them.
SCRM-R, sorry to hear about your bad experience.  I recently purchased Redline from them and had no problem at all. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 11:05:22 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »

Thnx SCRM-R

seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

Seegarsmkr

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2007, 10:30:51 PM »

Drained Syn3 out once I got the bike home. Used it in the lawn mower and for killing weeds.  :huepfenlol2: I use Amsoil in all three holes and all is good. It even runs out the heads just fine too! Did I mention that my new Ultra leaks. . .  :nixweiss:
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 10:27:37 AM »

Drained Syn3 out once I got the bike home. Used it in the lawn mower and for killing weeds.  :huepfenlol2: I use Amsoil in all three holes and all is good. It even runs out the heads just fine too! Did I mention that my new Ultra leaks. . .  :nixweiss:
Ugly John

Please update the thread in the Twin Cam issue for the database.  Thanks  How many miles?
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 21 queries.