Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley what happened  (Read 1343 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Bill

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: Harley what happened
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 02:13:14 PM »

Good overview.

Thanx for posting.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 02:57:42 PM »

Good view from a business perspective. 

Harley's biggest problem is getting younger riders to ride HD MCs when younger riders for the most part aren't interested in riding MCs.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 03:17:11 PM »

Good view from a business perspective. 

Harley's biggest problem is getting younger riders to ride HD MCs when younger riders for the most part aren't interested in riding MCs.
I am also finding that the newer generation does not like to work on their own stuff.......and HDs require either you, the shop, or both way too often!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »

I think that is correct to a certain extent.  A big part of the old Harley culture was wrenching.  If you bought a Harley at one time it was sort of common knowledge that you were agreeing to be a shadetree Harley mechanic.  Not so much these days.  At the premium price, people expect the reliability of a modern automobile.  Sumping engines for example is the kiss of death.

mark

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 06:26:08 PM »

I think that is correct to a certain extent.  A big part of the old Harley culture was wrenching.  If you bought a Harley at one time it was sort of common knowledge that you were agreeing to be a shadetree Harley mechanic.  Not so much these days.  At the premium price, people expect the reliability of a modern automobile.  Sumping engines for example is the kiss of death.
Also, the time of being able to work on your own bike is about over.  Sure, you can tackle a tire change, fluids, etc., but “problems” have to sorted out by a dealer...at $100+ an hour.  Sometimes you can afford the toy, but not the upkeep.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 05:14:00 AM »

There are young people out there who are interested in riding, we just don’t see them. And when we do we call the Squids, Punks, and all that. Furthermore the bikes they are riding are better and more dependable than the Hondas and Kawasaki’s I rode in the 70s.

And the “kids these days” are wrenching on their bikes, go surf YouTube, you’ll find them. What will happen to them is what happened to us. Natural selection will bring the dedicated riders to age 48-52 where they get tired of sport bike ergonomics and want something more comfortable. Their riding desires will stretch beyond their local streets and out to Yellowstone and Yosemite.

HD with the “Bronx” is a step in the right direction of trying to lure these riders over. As long as the bike is dependable and priced accordingly it should all work out. Otherwise today’s “Squid Kids” will be on Goldwings, ZX14 Concours and Yamaha FJs. 
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 07:26:32 AM »

You have a valid point.  As a young whippersnapper I could not afford a Harley.  1970s.  More importantly I did not really want a Harley even if I could have afforded one.  Those big HD cruisers were expensive, heavy, slow, & leaky.  I rode Japanese bikes that were cheap, lightweight, reliable, and fast.  Loved to pull up next to a Harley at a stop light especially when I got "the look".  If I felt like it I could blip the throttle and all they saw was tail light.  Lots of fun.  In my area Harleys were an old guy's ride - folks over 30.  ;D

Fast forward 20 years & I wasn't looking to be Evel Knievel anymore. Touring bike was what I wanted.   HD made sense as a ride, plus I had the money to afford one.  Japanese bikes & European bikes were quicker but did not have the appeal that HD had.  For me they still don't.  I have friends that ride them & they like them - all good for them. 

What HD has to continually create is that desire or appeal from those who ride.  If the Bronx is competitive with the market it would be a pleasant surprise.  Shows HD is listening to today with an eye toward the future.  If it's as grossly overpriced as the LiveWire it will just be another slow selling bike that becomes an afterthought. We shall see.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:07:25 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mark

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »

I did not find the Bronx to be visually appealing for a naked sport bike.  Looked bulky and the lines didn’t flow...  reminded me more of an adventure bike.  On the other hand, the concept drawing looked on the money.

J.D.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 05:11:55 PM »

President and CEO Matthew Levatich Steps Down; Board of Directors Appoints Board Member Jochen Zeitz as Acting President and CEO

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 24 queries.