Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Goodyear’s Dunlop D402 Tires Have Caused Dozens of Accidents?  (Read 3488 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Goodyear’s Dunlop D402 Tires Have Caused Dozens of Accidents?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »

I've used quite a few of them (D402) over the years, even at speeds well over 100 mph, on lite and heavy bikes, and never had a problem.
John

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 05:30:28 PM »

Joan Cranbrook has never been an NHTSA Administrator, no matter how many times the author of that article writes it.  He might want to expend a tiny bit of effort getting the facts right.  I'll even give him a hint; try looking up Joan Claybrook.

Out of the hundreds of thousands (probably millions by now) of D402 tires produced, 5 deaths and 22 injuries supposedly caused by a failure of those tires is hardly cause to run out and rip those tires (if you have them) off your bike.  Consider the source of the article (ambulance chaser comes to mind).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 08:37:26 PM »

i felt that there was also some sensationalization going on there myself.  while 'technically' correct, i would not equate 27 to 'dozens'.  dozens to me conjures up oh, 50 or 60 at least. 

while i have my reasons for not using dunlop, with the millions of them sold as oem, and replacements, if there was an issue, i would think that we would see more.  they even allude to it in the article, 'rider error, ie under inflation, etc'.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:02:28 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 10:22:38 PM »

I've used quite a few of them (D402) over the years, even at speeds well over 100 mph, on lite and heavy bikes, and never had a problem.
John

I've been using stock OEM tires every since I started riding CVOs in early 04.  I've been over 100 mph on each of them, more times than I could ever remember.....even loaded riding very long distances in the summer.....even pulling the Bushtec.  Never a problem with tires with one exception.

On my 10 CVO Street Glide I had a front tire that wore very fast, on the left only!  I took it to Sacramento Harley Davidson and they tried to tell me it was because they're building the crown in the roads much higher (last time I took it to a dealership).  Never did find out what the deal was with that tire.  From the center of the tire to left bald.....from the center to the right edge still looked new.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:24:17 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 01:54:27 PM »

I've been using stock OEM tires every since I started riding CVOs in early 04.  I've been over 100 mph on each of them, more times than I could ever remember.....even loaded riding very long distances in the summer.....even pulling the Bushtec.  Never a problem with tires with one exception.

On my 10 CVO Street Glide I had a front tire that wore very fast, on the left only!  I took it to Sacramento Harley Davidson and they tried to tell me it was because they're building the crown in the roads much higher (last time I took it to a dealership).  Never did find out what the deal was with that tire.  From the center of the tire to left bald.....from the center to the right edge still looked new.

When you replaced the tire did the replacement tire wear funny as well?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »

Joan Cranbrook has never been an NHTSA Administrator, no matter how many times the author of that article writes it.  He might want to expend a tiny bit of effort getting the facts right.  I'll even give him a hint; try looking up Joan Claybrook.

Out of the hundreds of thousands (probably millions by now) of D402 tires produced, 5 deaths and 22 injuries supposedly caused by a failure of those tires is hardly cause to run out and rip those tires (if you have them) off your bike.  Consider the source of the article (ambulance chaser comes to mind).

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I can remember that far back, to the utter disaster the Carter administration was.  Claybrook was/is a nut.

http://www.profbobsfunwithhistoricalstuff.com/2016/07/joan-claybrook-and-safe-motorycle.html
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 06:33:26 AM »

Lots and lots of those tires out there on the road.  They were standard equipment for many year.  I have rode all over the country on those tires, in temps from 20 degrees to 107 degrees and high speeds, and loaded bagger.  Never had an issue.

Wonder how many were several year old tires like five or six years?  Wonder how many were not properly inflated? 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 06:36:22 AM »

JCZ, didn't the dealership explain that you were riding more left hand curves & needed to turn around & go back thru to get even tire wear. Or you could just turn the tire around.     :2vrolijk_21:         :orange:
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 10:24:32 AM »

JCZ, didn't the dealership explain that you were riding more left hand curves & needed to turn around & go back thru to get even tire wear. Or you could just turn the tire around.     :2vrolijk_21:         :orange:

The way I heard it was he got stuck in a roundabout, constantly riding in a left hand turn.  :nixweiss:

Jerry  ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 07:32:05 PM »

The way I heard it was he got stuck in a roundabout, constantly riding in a left hand turn.  :nixweiss:

Jerry  ;)

That's why back tires wear worse going uphill (and front tires wear worse going back down)?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:56:10 PM by Twolanerider »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 09:59:57 PM »

That's why back tired wear worse going uphill (and front tires wear worse going back down)?

Does the bike leaning left on the jiffy stand make flat spots on the left side of each tire?   :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »

Does the bike leaning left on the jiffy stand make flat spots on the left side of each tire?   :nixweiss:

Only if the BSR is a big girl.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 11:34:49 PM »

Only if the BSR is a big girl.

BSR size here is just right.  If you say differently I do not know you, never met you.

Figure the tire air is fresher the closer you get to the valve stem.  Stale air is on the opposite end.   This has nothing to do with the topic but figured we never had a post on this & here is as good a place as any to have one.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 11:47:51 PM »

BSR size here is just right.  If you say differently I do not know you, never met you.

Figure the tire air is fresher the closer you get to the valve stem.  Stale air is on the opposite end.   This has nothing to do with the topic but figured we never had a post on this & here is as good a place as any to have one.

Somewhere somewhen someone (probably you or me) has taken a nitrogen thread and turned it toward stale air.  Ain't no way it hasn't happened :huepfenlol2: .
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.