Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: bike is getting harder to start  (Read 3540 times)

07street

• Full CVO Member
    • http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/04mastiff/
bike is getting harder to start
« on: January 17, 2009, 04:41:44 PM »

Here's the deal about 4 months ago I left my ignition on and ran the battery down.  I thought to myself no big deal just have the battery charged.  So i took the battery to my dealer and they charged and test the battery, about 4 hours later i get a call from the service mgr telling me your battery is fully charged and test ok (no charge).  put the battery back in the bike and ever since the the bike is harder to start and it seems that the the map is off on the Fuelpak.  I checked the settings on the fuelpak and they are correct. I also leave the battery tender on the bike while in the garage.  I'm storing a friends bike in the garage during the winter months and today i went out to start the bikes to let them run for a short time.  The FLHX start up right away however my Duracell was hard to start.  It sounds like the battery is charged and the starter is spinning just fine, but the motor made several coughing noises then on the second try it started.  Is it possible the battery test ok but still weak when starting the bike or is it the fuelpak not working corrctly or 3rd something else
hope this makes sense and thank you for your replies
07street
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:08:16 PM by 07street »

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: bike is getting harder to start
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »

Im betting on your battery even a slightly weak battery affects starting under adverse conditions, your engine starts in closed loop so your fuel pak should have no effect at all, its a simple test disconnect the Fuel pak and let the ECM default to factory settings see if it starts any better.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:35:57 PM »

Im betting on your battery even a slightly weak battery affects starting under adverse conditions, your engine starts in closed loop so your fuel pak should have no effect at all, its a simple test disconnect the Fuel pak and let the ECM default to factory settings see if it starts any better.

I agree. If that ign sw was left on til you ran that battery dead down, then discovered it at a later time, get a new battery. Battery's the first thing that has to be right for these things to start and run properly. I keep mine on a BT, but put a new one in every 2 years whether it needs it or not. Cheap insurance to never worry if a battery's the problem when you have one. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »

Just a quick note on starting the bikes for a short run. Unless you are taking them out and putting some miles on them you are better off not starting them.You will be getting condensation in the oil and won't be charging the batteries up by short runs. just a thought
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

07street

• Full CVO Member
    • http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/04mastiff/
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 05:42:19 PM »

thank you i will disconnect the the FP and try starting it with the ECM .  if the problem continues i will wait a few months (till the weather changes ) and replace the battery. 

Thank you for the replies
this is one hell of site !!!!!!!!!!

07street

Loud Couch Rider

• CVO1: 09 SEUC Silver/Blue
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »

I agree. If that ign sw was left on til you ran that battery dead down, then discovered it at a later time, get a new battery. Battery's the first thing that has to be right for these things to start and run properly. I keep mine on a BT, but put a new one in every 2 years whether it needs it or not. Cheap insurance to never worry if a battery's the problem when you have one. ;)

Hoist! 8)

I agree 100% with Hoist! on this one.  An old timer friend of mine replaces his battery every 2 years PERIOD!  no matter what the condition.  He has always said it is far less expensive than a new starter or worse, getting stuck someplace (in the middle of Nevada for example).   My '05 Ultra (rocket) was hard starting after the battery was 3 yrs old.  I had to keep it on the charger or it would cough and sputter and kickback.  Put in a new battery and have had no problems since.... and I always keep in charged up.   Bottom line, sounds like the battery.   

2009 CVO Ultra - SE A/C, Stock mufflers w/Fullsac 2", V&H Pw Duals, S.E. 4.0 10.5:1 Pistons, Head work by Rivas V-Twin, Cometic .030, Red Shift 657S Cams.  Dyno 120.7 HP, 125.6 TQ

The hardest part about doing nothing is knowing when you're through!

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 08:15:28 AM »

Now that I think about it, I left my ignition on for a significant length of time this past late summer/early fall.  Ran the battery down low enough that it required a jump.  Charged back up.  Thought nothing of it......until I got the bike back with the new engine.

Installed a new battery Friday night.  No starting problems whatsoever now.  Looks like I'll need to get on the two year plan.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »

Hoist! 8)

New battery every two years?  Wow, that's almost as often as you change eng.......   ah, never mind.  Too easy :P .

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »

New battery every two years?  Wow, that's almost as often as you change eng.......   ah, never mind.  Too easy :P .

Wow, Don what a shot. Any way my 2 cents worth. I had an older car that the battery died, no big deal. Just changed the battery. Still, hard start or no start. Checked the starter next. It checked out ok. Turns out that the wire inside the stakon from the battery was corroded. Not entirely but enouph to make me waste a Saturday at home trouble shooting. Changed the wire from the battery to the starter and I was back in business. Something to think about or check..................................Fuzz :2vrolijk_21:   
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 11:57:53 AM »

Wow, Don what a shot. Any way my 2 cents worth. I had an older car that the battery died, no big deal. Just changed the battery. Still, hard start or no start. Checked the starter next. It checked out ok. Turns out that the wire inside the stakon from the battery was corroded. Not entirely but enouph to make me waste a Saturday at home trouble shooting. Changed the wire from the battery to the starter and I was back in business. Something to think about or check..................................Fuzz :2vrolijk_21:   

Good idea Fuzz.  I don't trust battery cables or primary wires any farther than Howie gets out of an engi....   Well, I don't worry about them too much.  They can corrode.  The crimps can get loose and look fine but not be.  Any charging system, hard starting, or other other odd electrical behavior gets new cables or new cable ends if nothing else painfully obvious takes care of it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 01:51:25 PM »

HeHe!!! Nope, actually 1/2 as often! Engine gets changed every year! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »

BubbaLuv went through two batteries last year until he found it was the automatic compression release that wasn't working. Doc

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »

Two years for a battery is unacceptable, especially for gel cells, which I think all the newer Harley's come with. Heck, my 2000 Buell was bought new by me, and still has the original battery in it. It has no battery tender and is stored in the cold shed thru South Dakota winters. Never been out of the bike. Batteries normally give you a warning, they don't just lay down.
Semper Fidelis

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 05:35:51 PM »

thank you i will disconnect the the FP and try starting it with the ECM .  if the problem continues i will wait a few months (till the weather changes ) and replace the battery. 

Thank you for the replies
this is one hell of site !!!!!!!!!!

07street

07 Street,
Was your Coppertop included in the Product Enhancement Program (0905 or 0906)?  Under that product enhancement, they replace the ACRs.  Another individual on this site had similar starting issues and when he had the ACRs replaced, that cured the problem.  Just wondering.... :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »

Two years for a battery is unacceptable, especially for gel cells, which I think all the newer Harley's come with. Heck, my 2000 Buell was bought new by me, and still has the original battery in it. It has no battery tender and is stored in the cold shed thru South Dakota winters. Never been out of the bike. Batteries normally give you a warning, they don't just lay down.

Sorry man, I beg to differ! They absolutely can offer no warnings of failure, and surely leave ya stranded. They aren't gel batteries either. ;)

Hoist! 8)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:04 AM »

Sorry man, I beg to differ! They absolutely can offer no warnings of failure, and surely leave ya stranded. They aren't gel batteries either. ;)

Hoist! 8)

The last time that happened to me the dealer trouble shooted the electrical system for hours before they found it was a dead battery. Like Hoist said they will give you no warning at all and are hard to find out in the middle of nowhere. I change mine every year regardless, and use the old one to run my wife's water features in her garden with solar.
This situation smells like bad ACR's and would cause the bike to crank real slow if at all on a cold morning. At the time my buddy's dealer was unaware that the CVO's even had ACR's and just gave him new batteries when he complained until the recall. He hasn't had a problem since.  Doc 

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 09:35:03 PM »

I never said batteries can't just die without warning. They certainly do. I said they NORMALY give you clues, IE hard starting. As for factory gel cells that is just what my parts counter person at the dealer told me. I guess it is not abnormal for the guy schlepping parts not to know his a$$ from a hole in the ground though!. I just never gave it a second thought when he told me that because it makes so much sense to put a gel in something that shakes like that....
     I still believe buying a new battery every year or two just because is silly. They are designed to and NORMALY do last longer. I also don't think motorcycle batteries are hard to find in a pinch. Wal Mart has something on the cheap I guarantee will fit well enough to get you home. Then again, I am the guy who bellyaches about spending only $1500.00 to replace cam tensioner shoes...

I need to get out and ride, I am starting to get squirrelly...
Semper Fidelis

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 12:26:17 AM »

Where's the kick starter on my bike?  I got gypped!   :pineapple:
Jesus is Lord
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 22 queries.