Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: CVO Members Charity Bike Build  (Read 3250 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: CVO Members Charity Bike Build
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 11:57:51 AM »

Was asked a question via PM that I'd not seen answered here or elsewhere yet.  It was:

"You'll probably get doubles or parts you can't use when you're done.  What will happen to them?"

Good question.  It's very likely that if a rush of parts get offered that some duplicates might be in the mix.  Even more likely is that something gets offered and sent and when final build happens it might not be used; for any of many different reasons.

I'd suggest an easy and positive handling to this potential inventory question.  Since this is intended to be a charity build anyway any parts submitted that can't be used should be eBay'd with the net proceeds adding to whatever is received for the final bike build.

Seem fair?

In that same vein the same could be done to assist the build itself.  It's been discussed that some cash contribution will be very helpful as there are some parts that will simply have to be purchased.  We all know it's easier to part with old parts than it is to part with cold cash though.  That being so if anyone wants to contribute parts that may not match the build but could be sold to raise money for the build this would also be a real benefit.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »

Was asked a question via PM that I'd not seen answered here or elsewhere yet.  It was:

"You'll probably get doubles or parts you can't use when you're done.  What will happen to them?"

Good question.  It's very likely that if a rush of parts get offered that some duplicates might be in the mix.  Even more likely is that something gets offered and sent and when final build happens it might not be used; for any of many different reasons.

I'd suggest an easy and positive handling to this potential inventory question.  Since this is intended to be a charity build anyway any parts submitted that can't be used should be eBay'd with the net proceeds adding to whatever is received for the final bike build.

Seem fair?

In that same vein the same could be done to assist the build itself.  It's been discussed that some cash contribution will be very helpful as there are some parts that will simply have to be purchased.  We all know it's easier to part with old parts than it is to part with cold cash though.  That being so if anyone wants to contribute parts that may not match the build but could be sold to raise money for the build this would also be a real benefit.

Seems fair to me, no doubt there will be doubles, maybe triples of some items.  Sell them on e bay or hold a charity auction when the bike is raffled off.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »

I have a set of stock dresser lower legs ,springs ,guts standard hgt.and cans for a front end and when you get closer post a hit list of missing parts and I'll see what else I have.  jdo

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 09:58:33 PM »

Just stoking the proverbial fires here to see if there might be enough interest to make this enterprise a go.  As mentioned previously a legacy member has been enthused by the idea of doing a community bike build.  To involve as many of us as possible.  He'll be traveling from west coast to east in the spring and from east to west in the autumn.  Depending on how things work the build project would move to selected venues along the way for a traveling circus of a bike build.

To make this happen parts will be needed.  Some idea of donations already made can be seen be reviewing this thread. 

Some parts, however, are almost certainly not donation material.  A frame and engine and tranny cases are examples.  Those things would have to be purchased and it would habe to known the initiative could purchase them before we could really begin anything else.

The best guess for cash or in-kind donations to fulfill this part of the need I've been told is $5k.  I say in-kind because anyone would be free to donate parts that may not match a Road King build but which could be eBay'd to go toward the Road King build. 

If there is more interest please make note here or let me know via PM.  I'm just the messenger on this effort.  Will be supplying at least one of the workshop spaces but am still just manual labor on Big Brian's grander undertaking.  Will answer all I can for anyone.  Those things I can't will get answered and respond quickly.

Time frame to know whether or not we can pull this off for this year is now relatively short.  If we're not sure we can make this a go within a month or two we'd best not impose on everyone to even begin moving parts around. 

Everyone here is now as up to speed as I am.  Hope to read of more interest.  Thanks.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »

(snip)

Seem fair?

Yes it does. Makes good sense as a way to raise cash for needed parts.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »

Being from Canada, its too expensive to ship parts. BUT.... it is a very worthwhile cause.  I'm in for $100.00.  Come on boys, let's make this thing work. One less night @ the pub and lets chip in.  THE MUFFMAN

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »

TLR, what's our progress on cash pledges?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 03:21:29 PM »

And, oh yeah, assuming parity with the Canadian dollar.  I wouldn't expect you to calculate conversions based on daily exchange rates with your limited experience in international finance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 01:29:26 AM »

TLR, what's our progress on cash pledges?

Ballpark estimate is about a grand.  More if some of the prior part pledges that were made assuming bike usage were instead converted to in-kind contributions to get the tire rolling.  In other words; there's quite a distance to go.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 11:37:07 AM »

I am saddened to report we're pulling the plug on this effort.  It would've been great fun but it's been decided we've never developed quite enough traction.  To be sure and not intrude nor impose on anyone without specific ends in reach it was decided that no one's good will would actually be tapped until we were confident an overall critical mass of support had been reached.

This was a large and ambitious project on a short schedule so that this critical mass of support was not reached is not a huge surprise.  I am personally still gratified that as many stepped up to help as they did.  Whether it be in the spirit of helping MDA or in the spirit of helping a brother do a good deed it was my honor to assist both Big Brian's spirited and positive effort and everyone else's motivated support of that effort.

Not all good ideas pan out.  No startling news there.  So there's no "failure" to be felt here.  The effort was tried.  The good will was exercised and thereby made more fit to be exercised again.  My own and Brian's thanks to all of you who positively engaged or wished well.  You know who you are and I nod my helmet to each of you.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »

I'd like to officially withdraw my pledge for $100 and an asspile of ribs. 

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 04:40:50 AM »

And, oh yeah, assuming parity with the Canadian dollar.  I wouldn't expect you to calculate conversions based on daily exchange rates with your limited experience in international finance.

All I know that OUR  beer beats YOUR beer.   ;D

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 10:28:32 AM »

All I know that OUR  beer beats YOUR beer.   ;D

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 01:07:20 PM »

I found out last summer that you haven't had beer until you try UTAH beer :drink: :confused5:
Rob
Rob

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »

I found out last summer that you haven't had beer until you try UTAH beer :drink: :confused5:
Rob

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.