Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Best Battery? Need a new one!  (Read 22708 times)

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
Best Battery? Need a new one!
« on: February 25, 2007, 10:40:58 AM »

What type of battery for replacement? I've heard of Odyssey and gel type? Lets not break the bank.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Re: Best Battery? Need a new one!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:53:52 AM »

I think the hd batteries are fine- just replace them every 3-4 years

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:56:28 AM »

H-D battery and a battery tender used all the time the bike is not being ridden and they will last forever. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:59:13 AM »

Not sure about forever but I still have the original HD in an '01, following d00d's rules and it still behaves like new!  An '03 and an '06 still "IN TEST PHASE" :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 11:02:46 AM »

Not sure about forever but I still have the original HD in an '01, following d00d's rules and it still behaves like new!  An '03 and an '06 still "IN TEST PHASE" :2vrolijk_21:
You're probably right that is an exaggeration. How about as long as you own the bike. ;) :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:04:57 AM »

d00d!

With your history here, you can exaggerate all you want!!!

:huepfenjump3:

We Love it!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »

d00d!

With your history here, you can exaggerate all you want!!!

:huepfenjump3:

We Love it!!
Thanks Bro. :2vrolijk_21: Forever is to general, and as long as you own your bike might be also. :confused5: I'm just really impressed w/how long a battery will last when using the Battery Tender, especially on motorcycles that have to sit for extended periods of time due to weather and other things. I forget the proper term, but when batteries sit they discharge and there's some chemical reaction that happens that cant' be reverted after it does. Battery tenders constantly keep the battery charged to a state that this reaction will not happen.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 02:00:25 PM »

Get the battery from HD, They are a gel type and do last well as others stated. Using a battery tender while the bike is parked helps them last longer as well.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 04:49:34 PM »

I plug my battery tender in every couple of weeks. From what I am seeing here, I assume most people are leaving their tenders plugged in all the time. Is that OK to do? I was afraid it might not be the best for the battery.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »

I plug my battery tender in every couple of weeks. From what I am seeing here, I assume most people are leaving their tenders plugged in all the time. Is that OK to do? I was afraid it might not be the best for the battery.

The Battery Tender is a Maintenance Charger, not an emergency charger. They are designed to maintain a battery. Plug it in, and leave it connected 24/7. They continually check the battery, and when it senses it is needed, switch to CHARGE mode (Red Light) to charge up the battery, then they go into FLOAT mode (Green Light) where they are not charging the battery.

Having the Battery Tender connected all the time is THE BEST THING you can do for your battery, especially if the bike is not being ridden.

Chief

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 05:40:43 PM »

Thanks Chief, that is good to know. If green is charged and red is charging, what does flashing green mean?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »

Thanks Chief, that is good to know. If green is charged and red is charging, what does flashing green mean?

It means you're looking at the green light through a spinning fan blade.

Actually I don't know, but you probably figured that out already.

Chief

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »

To actually add something worthwhile to my lst post, here is something I found on the BatteryTender.com site.

9. How long can I leave the Battery Tender Plus battery charger connected to a battery?

In theory, you can leave the Battery Tender Plus battery charger connected to a battery forever. Like they say, “Just plug it in and forget about it!” Practically speaking, it is a good idea to check on the battery at least once a week. Strange things can happen. Sometimes a battery can have a weak cell that won’t show up until the worst possible time. Of course, that time is usually when the battery is connected to a charger. If something goes wrong, then you have to deal with the question of the chicken and the egg. Which came first? Did the battery fail because it was connected to the charger or did the charger fail because it was connected to the battery?

No matter how good a product is, anything can break. With a battery and a charger connected together, it’s a much better idea to be proactive and anticipate problems, however unlikely they may be. In more than 99.9% of cases, nothing will go wrong. That still leaves about 0.1% where something might. Learn to respect electricity. A little common sense can go a long way.

I use the plain Deltran Battery Tender JR, not the HD labeled unit. My does not have a blinking Green, nly steady Red or steady Green.

Chief
<EDIT>Same goes for regular Battery Tender and Battey Tender JR, forever.</EDIT>

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 07:59:48 PM »

What type of battery for replacement? I've heard of Odyssey and gel type? Lets not break the bank.

Odyssey Gel's are junk.

Bought one and had to argue with the Batteries Plus Store Manager to get them to honor their own warranty.

It lasted less then a year before trouble started.

I'll stay with the MOCO offerings from now on.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »

On the Battery Tender, the blinking green means that the battery is at 80% of capacity, or greater, and it goes to a solid green when the battery has reached a fully charged (100%) state. It then reverts to a monitoring only function or a trickle charge state depending upon the battery condition.

You cannot damage a good battery by using the tender, but it won't cure a bad battery and you'll see that a bad one will never reach the solid green on the indicator lights.

Joe

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:55:46 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 08:07:44 AM »

Get the battery from HD, They are a gel type and do last well as others stated. Using a battery tender while the bike is parked helps them last longer as well.
I have been using a Battery Tender Plus since day one, I leave it plugged in 24/7. But here in AZ they tend to burn up fast. The heat kills them. My car only lasts 2-3 years, max. So, its better to be proactive. I havent had any trouble just want the info if needed.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 06:33:14 PM »

I have been using a Battery Tender Plus since day one, I leave it plugged in 24/7. But here in AZ they tend to burn up fast. The heat kills them. My car only lasts 2-3 years, max. So, its better to be proactive. I havent had any trouble just want the info if needed.
Of course I'm talking about batteries here. Not the tender.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

rogerTX/05/SE2

• TX05CVO
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »

with All the additions and add ons I'm having trouble with my battery. (# 2) Has anyone added a Higher output alternator. Does anyone have a solution for the mechanically challenged?

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 01:32:16 AM »

with All the additions and add ons I'm having trouble with my battery. (# 2) Has anyone added a Higher output alternator. Does anyone have a solution for the mechanically challenged?

Roger, welome to the site.

I was under the impression that the highest output was 1.4k

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 03:50:20 AM »

Good morning rogerTX/05/SE2,

I send you the  :welcome_005: from FRANCE.

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 08:30:04 PM »

I very nearly bought an Odyssey battery since the dealer wasn't playing ball on replacing mine under warranty

It was very weak at less than 2 years old and on an Optimate most of the time - it would start OK straight off but if I left the ign on without starting for any time at all (like to get helmet and gloves on and close the garage etc) it would be too low to do the business.

Dave Knight, the Odyssey importer http://www.knightbatteries.com/, was having problems getting hold of stock - I wanted the PC925LMJ which is a special edition PC925 to fit Harley Davidson Road King, Electra and Ultra Glides 1999-onwards (pre 99 uses the PC680MJ)  @ £133.25 !! that's like $250 +

The posts are reversed on this version and the battery lies on its side to put the positive and negative terminals in the right place for the standard wiring.

Anyway - he couldn't get stock - didn't stop him taking payment from my card though... and the HD dealer finally came through so I'm back with a new standard gel HD battery and it seems to be fine now.

I will include the battery saga in an update on the trials and tribulations of being a Harley Rider in UK next time it's raining (yeah - I know - should be soon) and I can sit down and type it all in.

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »

I plug my battery tender in every time my bike goes in the garage for the night.  I've done that for years on the last three bikes......can't remember the last time that I had to buy an MC battery.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 11:28:31 AM »

You might get a better price thru a store like Batteries Plus, I haven't bought a battery for my RK yet, but they have better prices on other batteries I bought, they have battery tenders too. Battery Tenders are worth the price, get you a couple of extra years out of your battery and besides that it sucks when you go out to start your bike, or ATV after long time and it won't start!!!

http://www.batteriesplus.com/

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 11:37:31 AM »

You might get a better price thru a store like Batteries Plus, I haven't bought a battery for my RK yet, but they have better prices on other batteries I bought, they have battery tenders too. Battery Tenders are worth the price, get you a couple of extra years out of your battery and besides that it sucks when you go out to start your bike, or ATV after long time and it won't start!!!

http://www.batteriesplus.com/

Get a sealed HD battery. These things are great. They hold up at least 3 years . Keep them on a BT. Replace after 3 years. You'll never have battery problems again. Don't wait til they're going bad. They wreak havoc on your electics/electronics. Chit, with all we spend on these bikes, do yourself and your bike a favor and replace it every 3 years, whether you think it needs it or not! You'll have one less thing to worry about! Those are Hoist Words of Wisdom for today! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 11:43:47 AM »

Get a sealed HD battery. These things are great. They hold up at least 3 years . Keep them on a BT. Replace after 3 years. You'll never have battery problems again. Don't wait til they're going bad. They wreak havoc on your electics/electronics. Chit, with all we spend on these bikes, do yourself and your bike a favor and replace it every 3 years, whether you think it needs it or not! You'll have one less thing to worry about! Those are Hoist Words of Wisdom for today! ;) Hoist! 8)

Hey Howie, me too (ok, three).  These pigs are too big to push start and the electronics don't like dirty power anyway.  For me a battery is prevenative maintenance at the end if it's third year in service too.  It's one of those "just ain't worth screwing with it" kind of things.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 11:57:09 AM »

Hey Howie, me too (ok, three).  These pigs are too big to push start and the electronics don't like dirty power anyway.  For me a battery is prevenative maintenance at the end if it's third year in service too.  It's one of those "just ain't worth screwing with it" kind of things.

Precisely my point Don. It's always the guys trying to squeeze every last drop of battery time, that have battery/electrical issues. Treat it like an oil change, and all your battery problems disappear! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 04:42:36 PM »

Sorry fella's (Don/Howie) I tend to disagree w/the automatic replacement of the battery after 3 years if it's being maintained by a battery tender. From what I've read on batteries and how they go bad as long as it's steady charge is maintained (by use of a battery tender whenever the bikes not in operation) they should last well over three years. I'll let you know how long my goes before replacing as of now it's been in since June '04, and been on a BT whenever it's parked at home.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 04:51:36 PM »

Sorry fella's (Don/Howie) I tend to disagree w/the automatic replacement of the battery after 3 years if it's being maintained by a battery tender. From what I've read on batteries and how they go bad as long as it's steady charge is maintained (by use of a battery tender whenever the bikes not in operation) they should last well over three years. I'll let you know how long my goes before replacing as of now it's been in since June '04, and been on a BT whenever it's parked at home.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Do what you want d00d, but when you're on a trip, and you go to start your bike in the morning one day, and it's completely dead, you'll know that research didn't help too much. Go by theory or go by experience. Your choice. But for the price of a battery every 3 years for peace of mind, it's priceless! C'mon man, $40/year! :nixweiss: It's a no brainer! ;)
Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 04:54:40 PM »

Do what you want d00d, but when you're on a trip, and you go to start your bike in the morning one day, and it's completely dead, you'll know that research didn't help too much. Go by theory or go by experience. Your choice. But for the price of a battery every 3 years for peace of mind, it's priceless! C'mon man, $40/year! :nixweiss: It's a no brainer! ;)
Hoist! 8)
Why use a BT then. :confused5: As long as the battery doesn't discharge it shouldn't be a problem. Until I'm proven wrong I'm sticking w/my theory. When it does go bad on a trip it's an easy replacement and I'm sure you'll give me a ride to a dealership to get a new one. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 04:56:46 PM »

Why use a BT then. :confused5: As long as the battery doesn't discharge it shouldn't be a problem. Until I'm proven wrong I'm sticking w/my theory. When it does go bad on a trip it's an easy replacement and I'm sure you'll give me a ride to a dealership to get a new one. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I'll be happy to let you ride bitch, if you'd like! Why be in that position. Kinda vulnerable. Use the BT so it doesn't weaken if it's sitting for a period. You always have full charge. As long as it's a good battery that is! ;) Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »

I'll be happy to let you ride bitch, if you'd like! Why be in that position. Kinda vulnerable. Use the BT so it doesn't weaken if it's sitting for a period. You always have full charge. As long as it's a good battery that is! ;) Hoist! 8)
If you hook the BT up everytime you park the bike then you will have/maintain a good battery. Anyway time will tell. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 04:59:30 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's precisely the point Gary.  They "should" last longer than three years.  That's why I'll replace it at three years.  It shouldn't last tremendously longer than three years.  So that's a good target zone for preventative maintenance.

I just replaced a little lawnmower battery that was a year old.  On battery tender every moment my ass wasn't on the lawnmower.  Battery in my pick up got replaced at just under four years.  Walked out one day and it was dead though showed no signs of issue the day before.  That was a regular/daily use vehicle.

It's not that I expect it die at around three years.  In fact it's precisely that I expect it to live just a little longer than that.  I don't want to push it to the point of it telling me when it's time.  If I only rode around town it'd be one thing.  But I don't ride much locally.  If I'm on the red bike it stands a good chance of going someplace farther than just across town.  That being so the cost of of a battery as preventative maintenance amortized over three years is pretty cheap.

I don't run tires until they start to bulge.  I don't wait on oil changes until the stuff show signs of putrescence.  I don't drive belts until they're throwing cord and thread.  And I try not to push a battery on a motorcycle until it's already weakened and screws me over some day.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

What about tires? Should we run those till they pop?

Wrong thread, I know, BUT, While I'm mouthing, I'm got 4500 miles on mine. I swear the rear tire is looking pretty wore. How many miles are you guys getting on a rear tire? I know it has to do with how hard you ride, I ride it hard, can't seem to help but twist that throttle occassionally.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 05:06:57 PM »

If you hook the BT up everytime you park the bike then you will have/maintain a good battery. Anyway time will tell. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Charging it doesn't guaranty a good battery. Putting it on a charger will charge or maintain charge on a good battery. If the battery goes bad, you can keep it on the charger it all you want, but it won't charge it! Do what your comfortable with. But I might piss off B B/SB for posting too much if I keep explaing this! ::) Chrome d00dads and chit with no practical value, costing buku bucks . $40/year for peace of mind knowing your battery is good-priceless! ;) Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 05:09:25 PM »

What about tires? Should we run those till they pop?

Wrong thread, I know, BUT, While I'm mouthing, I'm got 4500 miles on mine. I swear the rear tire is looking pretty wore. How many miles are you guys getting on a rear tire? I know it has to do with how hard you ride, I ride it hard, can't seem to help but twist that throttle occassionally.

I remember one of group had a back tire gone at 5600.  Yet I got 12,500 out of the original stocker (then went through two of short life span due to punctures).  Loaded weight, riding style, heavy right wrist.  It's all part of the mystic of tire wear.  What I'm curious about now is how the radials will perform that are starting to be put on some of the 07s.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 05:14:51 PM »

Yea, I've been changing rear tires on dressers about 8,000 miles or so. I just am NOT taking a chance on a tire. Seems like generally, the front tire will outlast two rears. OK, I'll shut up about tires in the battery thread.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 05:16:14 PM »

Yea, I've been changing rear tires on dressers about 8,000 miles or so. I just am NOT taking a chance on a tire. Seems like generally, the front tire will outlast two rears. OK, I'll shut up about tires in the battery thread.

It's ok HB, this thread had been on course for almost 2 1/2 pages.  I think that's a record here  :-\ ?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »

Let me get it back on track.

I'm good friends with Hoist and I totally understand what he's saying, WHY chance a battery when they are so cheap to replace?

I'm good friends with firedood too. I've read a lot about battery tenders extending the life of a motorcycle battery up to 9 years. WHY change a perfectly good battery?

On this issue dammit, I'm sticking with my friends.

BTW, Kentucky was neutral in the civil war.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 05:25:17 PM »

I'm good friends with Hoist and I totally understand what he's saying, WHY chance a battery when they are so cheap to replace?

I'm good friends with firedood too. I've read a lot about battery tenders extending the life of a motorcycle battery up to 9 years. WHY change a perfectly good battery?

But HB, every good conflict needs a fifth column.  The instigating middle is where all the fun is.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 05:28:44 PM »

But HB, every good conflict needs a fifth column.  The instigating middle is where all the fun is.

You're asking me to post about tires more?

I'm just trying to get my post count up.

I'd never try and instigate anything.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »

:huepfenlol2: LOL!!! Good answer!! I understand where both Howie and Don are coming from, but in this case I'm going to have to find out just how good a BT is going to be. With Harley shops popping up like Starbucks to be somewhere and battery goes tits up to me is going to be a minor inconvenience. Along w/knowing how long batter will last w/battery tender it will allow me to test out my HOG membership and get my bike picked up and taken to a dealership. Anyway the jury is still out on the battery.

BTW you mentioned tires I'm going to stick my new hip on the chopping block again and say that I got 15k out of a rear tire before it was changed. Granted I didn't have any trips planned as it got close to this mileage and wanted to see how long it would last so I may have taken it to the extreme. Will also mention that if I've a ride planned (locally) and they are calling for rain I'll not pull my bike out, so getting caught in bad weather (rain) wasn't an issue. Also remember during the time I was stretching this tire out I was having problems w/my hip so there was another reason I wouldn't ride in rain. It was hard enough holding bike and myself up on dry pavement I wasn't about to try this on wet pavement. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 05:31:51 PM »

You're asking me to post about tires more?

I'm just trying to get my post count up.

I'd never try and instigate anything.

So which one was your beer choice  :nixweiss: ?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 05:34:43 PM »

:huepfenlol2: LOL!!! Good answer!! I understand where both Howie and Don are coming from, but in this case I'm going to have to find out just how good a BT is going to be. With Harley shops popping up like Starbucks to be somewhere and battery goes tits up to me is going to be a minor inconvenience. Along w/knowing how long batter will last w/battery tender it will allow me to test out my HOG membership and get my bike picked up and taken to a dealership. Anyway the jury is still out on the battery.

BTW you mentioned tires I'm going to stick my new hip on the chopping block again and say that I got 15k out of a rear tire before it was changed. Granted I didn't have any trips planned as it got close to this mileage and wanted to see how long it would last so I may have taken it to the extreme. Will also mention that if I've a ride planned (locally) and they are calling for rain I'll not pull my bike out, so getting caught in bad weather (rain) wasn't an issue. Also remember during the time I was stretching this tire out I was having problems w/my hip so there was another reason I wouldn't ride in rain. It was hard enough holding bike and myself up on dry pavement I wasn't about to try this on wet pavement. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Well, Waiting to see how long a battery lasts is a FAR different issue than seeing how many miles you can run a tire before it blows out. BUT, I think you know that already. Myself, I ain't taking a chance on a tire.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »

So which one was your beer choice  :nixweiss: ?

Yet another topic under "Battery"? Is this for CVO related, NON-CVO related? Screaming Eagle specific? OH hell, I drink about any kinda beer, room temperature, cold, light beer, heavy beer.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »

Batteries are still relatively unpredictable things after a point, unfortunately.  The Gels and maintainence free stuff has really helped matters a great deal, but when the chemicals/plates stop working, they tend to do so suddenly and without much warning.  Plates break, vibrate loose, etc.  Preventing them from cycling down and back up helps a lot in the longevity (BT), but in the end, if I've got a three year battery, I start getting nervous after about 3.5 and figure I'm livin' on borrowed time.  And with my luck, mine would FU out in BFE after I got through wizzin' in the bushes, and I'd be in a place with no downhill or flat ground for miles. :nervous:  And I ain't big enough to push the bitch off.  My old VW's were easier to push, I think...they got pushed a lot ;-)

The Vrod is the worst...the battery in it is just barely big enough to turn the motor over with 11:1 compression, even if it's just been sitting a week.  If you've got a V, you'd better keep it on a BT ALL the time if you don't ride it every day.

And Winston County, Alabama was neutral during "The War" as well.....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »

NO chit??? I never woulda thunk that! In Alabama? I learn something new here everyday.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2007, 05:51:26 PM »

NO chit??? I never woulda thunk that! In Alabama? I learn something new here everyday.

Better than that.  They weren't just a neutral county within Alabama (as far as they were concnerned).  They seceded from Alabama.  Argued that if a state could secede from the Union then a county could secede from the state.  Didn't wan't any part of brothers fighting brothers.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 05:52:57 PM »

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 05:55:45 PM »

Actually, Winston County refused to join the Confederacy, and tried to make themselves a Republic...they never did join the Confederacy though...

North Alabama and South Alabama are like two different States...historically, and to some extent presently.

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 05:56:22 PM »

Batteries are still relatively unpredictable things after a point, unfortunately.  The Gels and maintainence free stuff has really helped matters a great deal, but when the chemicals/plates stop working, they tend to do so suddenly and without much warning.  Plates break, vibrate loose, etc.  Preventing them from cycling down and back up helps a lot in the longevity (BT), but in the end, if I've got a three year battery, I start getting nervous after about 3.5 and figure I'm livin' on borrowed time.  And with my luck, mine would FU out in BFE after I got through wizzin' in the bushes, and I'd be in a place with no downhill or flat ground for miles. :nervous:  And I ain't big enough to push the bitch off.  My old VW's were easier to push, I think...they got pushed a lot ;-)

The Vrod is the worst...the battery in it is just barely big enough to turn the motor over with 11:1 compression, even if it's just been sitting a week.  If you've got a V, you'd better keep it on a BT ALL the time if you don't ride it every day.

I remember reading somewhere that w/FI it is not recommended or possible to push start our bikes. :nixweiss: I guess I'm either going to write a testimonial for BT or be very pissed at there product. I've been using it since day one when I got my bike and whenever I park bike at home it gets plugged in.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 05:58:49 PM »

Same as West KY and East KY. West Ky people are sharecroppers and farmers from Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi. East KY people are, Well, from East Ky.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2007, 06:11:56 PM »

Since we're hijacking...most of the large plantations were South of Birmingham.  What we had around here was lot's and lot's of iron ore, so you know what happened near here.  There's actually an old furnace/foundary that's now a State Park....Tannehill State Park....it's only 10 miles or so from my house.  Interesting place to visit if you're ever down this way.  Pretty place as well.  Birmingham itself is a young city, not really getting established until after the war when the steel industry got cranked up.

Back to batteries and tires....I'm a believer in BT's.  I've had too many deep cycle marine batteries on bass boats not to know the value of keeping things charged up fully all the time.  I definitely think they extend the life, but after a point, the chemical composition starts breaking down no matter what you do, then it's the extremes that get 'em. 

I've got nearly 12K on my front tire, and it's still got good tread.  The rear was replaced at about 6K in MV from a flat, so now this rear looks like it would get another 3 or 4K without any trouble.  They're both coming off soon though....

TTS Mastertune

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 06:18:26 PM »

I'll hijack one more post, then I'm gone home.

I sell Butler steel buildings. I've been to Birmingham several times. I think they still have some office people there, but no manufacturing plant. I was there just a couple of years ago, my wife's sister lived there. Wish they still did, I'd havean excuse to ride down to meet ya!

I gotta go, caught my hair on fire.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 06:50:52 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

No 2 batteries will last the same. You can't predict these things. Have fun experimenting and call me when you need to ride bitch ,to carry one back to your bike! If they have one in stock, fully charged! ;) Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 06:52:38 PM by Hoist »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »

Actually, Winston County refused to join the Confederacy, and tried to make themselves a Republic...they never did join the Confederacy though...

North Alabama and South Alabama are like two different States...historically, and to some extent presently.

TC, I can't remember some of my pre-bellum history right now.  Winston County wasn't even Winston County not too long before the war.  It changed names within the decade prior to hostilities.  Got any idea what the old name was?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2007, 08:30:20 PM »

No 2 batteries will last the same. You can't predict these things. Have fun experimenting and call me when you need to ride bitch ,to carry one back to your bike! If they have one in stock, fully charged! ;) Hoist! 8)
Did some investigating and this can be taken w/a grain of salt because it is coming from the manufacturers website.

However when the questioned was asked (click question for answer) - What is the expected life of a H-D battery? If this holds to be true I'll look at replacing my battery in June '09. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2007, 08:40:21 PM »

Did some investigating and this can be taken w/a grain of salt because it is coming from the manufacturers website.

However when the questioned was asked (click question for answer) - What is the expected life of a H-D battery? If this holds to be true I'll look at replacing my battery in June '09. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I pretty much agree and use BT's on all my bikes. Thay also say there: "What the lab tests can not prove is how vigilant one is about battery maintenance (if watering is required) and how much shake, rattle, heat, and cold the battery has been subjected." So you do yours in 5 like the article says, and you'll probably be OK. Maybe. I'll do mine in 3, and I know I'll be OK. No reason to ever have to think about batteries! :beatdeadhorse: Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »

I pretty much agree and use BT's on all my bikes. Thay also say there: "What the lab tests can not prove is how vigilant one is about battery maintenance (if watering is required) and how much shake, rattle, heat, and cold the battery has been subjected." So you do yours in 5 like the article says, and you'll probably be OK. Maybe. I'll do mine in 3, and I know I'll be OK. No reason to ever have to think about batteries! :beatdeadhorse: Hoist! 8)
True dat. :2vrolijk_21: We all have to do what we feel comfortable doing. Doesn't make me right, you right or me wrong, you wrong.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »

TC, I can't remember some of my pre-bellum history right now.  Winston County wasn't even Winston County not too long before the war.  It changed names within the decade prior to hostilities.  Got any idea what the old name was?

Don...here you go...it was named after a famous signer...

Winston County was established under the name "Hancock County" on February 12, 1850. It was originally named for John Hancock, Governor of Massachusetts and famous signer of the American Declaration of Independence, with its county seat at Houston. On January 22, 1858, the county was renamed Winston County to honor Alabama Gov. John A. Winston. During the American Civil War, the county refused to join the Confederacy and declared itself the Republic of Winston. Today it is popularly and colloquially known as "the Free State of Winston". The county seat was moved to Double Springs in 1883 so it would be near the center of the county, as Cullman was created from the eastern portion of Winston. [reference: Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921]

Also, since we're totally off the subject, that area of Alabama is almost totally unsuited for large scale agriculture, thus the reason for the differences in that part of the state and the southern portions, which remain predominately agricultural to this day.  In and around Winston County is located one of the most beautiful scenic areas anywhere in the Southeast...The Sipsey Wilderness.  It is a canyon which fortunately was saved by some concerned citizens back in the late 60's and early 70's (me being one of them).  During the last Ice Age, much of Alabama had the same flora as today's Canada, and parts of the Appalacian chain...the Sipsey has Hemlock trees, giant poplars, etc.  The Champion Poplar tree is located 6 miles into the wilderness and is so large it takes 6 to 8 people to reach around it. It is well over 400 years old.  I try to go there every few years for an overnighter, as it is a very special place to me.

I take batteries for my flashlight....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:45:43 PM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2007, 10:36:30 PM »

Don...here you go...it was named after a famous signer...

Winston County was established under the name "Hancock County" on February 12, 1850. It was originally named for John Hancock, Governor of Massachusetts and famous signer of the American Declaration of Independence, with its county seat at Houston. On January 22, 1858, the county was renamed Winston County to honor Alabama Gov. John A. Winston. During the American Civil War, the county refused to join the Confederacy and declared itself the Republic of Winston. Today it is popularly and colloquially known as "the Free State of Winston". The county seat was moved to Double Springs in 1883 so it would be near the center of the county, as Cullman was created from the eastern portion of Winston. [reference: Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921]

Thanks.  That rings a few bells.  Changed from a colonial Governor to a local Governor.

Republic of Winston.  That reminded me of another story.  Quite a few years ago a municipality up north decided to secede from its home state.  No one cared. 

It considered itself seceded; and still no one cared.  Then a car dealership in a neighboring town gave their police department a car to use as a patrol car.  The dealership took a tax deduction for "foreign aid."  The IRS cared.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2007, 10:49:50 PM »

Thanks.  That rings a few bells.  Changed from a colonial Governor to a local Governor.

Republic of Winston.  That reminded me of another story.  Quite a few years ago a municipality up north decided to secede from its home state.  No one cared. 

It considered itself seceded; and still no one cared.  Then a car dealership in a neighboring town gave their police department a car to use as a patrol car.  The dealership took a tax deduction for "foreign aid."  The IRS cared.

:nixweiss:

TTS Mastertune

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2007, 10:47:12 AM »

All my motorcycle batteries have lasted over 3 years, most over 4 years, one lasted almost 5! Anyway keeping them charged and if they are wet cell, keeping them topped up with distilled water, cleaning the cable/terminal ends, will make them last a lot longer.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2007, 11:12:45 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks for that info, Gary.  Looks like 4 years, if one is kept on a good tender and not subjected to severe temperature swings, would be a good round number to start thinking about a new one, depending on how things plan out for your rides/trips.  If I had 4 years on one, and was headed out on a 5K trip to the West, I'd probably get a new one before heading out, just to be safe.  If I was staying around town, that'd be a different story.  Cranking these bigger motors takes a larger toll on the battery too.

Good information, d00d :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2007, 11:53:56 AM »

On my 04 the battery would get weak during the hot summer and jamming the tunes all day.. On my 07 I am installing a BIGBOAR BB1000
 The stock battery has 250/350CCA and the BP1000 Has 650CCA quite a difference.
your normal battery is about 149.00 this one is 199.00 but with the thicker plates I believe the life span will be greater also.

http://www.bigboarproducts.com/price_sheet.htm

Iron

Tros

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2007, 10:41:49 PM »

I just went out and hooked up the battery tender.  :2vrolijk_21: The dealer gave me an HD battery tender when I purchased the bike.   ;D  It's still in the package because I already had a new one.   ;)

I almost never seen a Harley running a car tire on the rear.  This is a very common practice with the metric crowd, particularly the Honda Valkyrie/VTX 1800 guys.  Those bikes are really hard on rear tires.  They refer to it as going to the Dark Side.   

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2007, 12:04:57 PM »

I just went out and hooked up the battery tender.  :2vrolijk_21: The dealer gave me an HD battery tender when I purchased the bike.   ;D  It's still in the package because I already had a new one.   ;)

I almost never seen a Harley running a car tire on the rear.  This is a very common practice with the metric crowd, particularly the Honda Valkyrie/VTX 1800 guys.  Those bikes are really hard on rear tires.  They refer to it as going to the Dark Side.   

I had a conversation with some people just a couple of weeks ago about this very subject and Gold Wing owners.  One of the main purposes for doing this is to get the load rating up on the rear tire.  The problem is there is absolutely NO car tire that is made to fit on a motorcycle...it is a completely different kind of construction, handling characteristics will be all over the place.  Car tires are basically flat...anyone doing this to their bike is just asking for problems...sure, the tire itself is load rated higher, but what about the rear shocks, frame, swingarm, bearings, etc, etc, etc.  Putting the kind of loads on a bike that the car tire is capable of handling is exceeding the GVW of the bike by several hundred pounds...it's crazy.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2007, 12:12:28 PM »

I had a conversation with some people just a couple of weeks ago about this very subject and Gold Wing owners.  One of the main purposes for doing this is to get the load rating up on the rear tire.  The problem is there is absolutely NO car tire that is made to fit on a motorcycle...it is a completely different kind of construction, handling characteristics will be all over the place.  Car tires are basically flat...anyone doing this to their bike is just asking for problems...sure, the tire itself is load rated higher, but what about the rear shocks, frame, swingarm, bearings, etc, etc, etc.  Putting the kind of loads on a bike that the car tire is capable of handling is exceeding the GVW of the bike by several hundred pounds...it's crazy.

That was one of those "I know not where of I speak" type of conversations TC.  When Max (at Traxxion Dynamics) was telling us about his feelings on the car-tire-on-a-Goldwing issue it all sounded perfectly logical.  And I know that just intuitively I'm not wild about the shape of the tire for bike use and would have to do some real homework on sidewall forces exerted back through the bike.  But just the day before when I was there two of his guys were working around the bikes talking about the same thing.  One said he'd done. The other was preparing to.  And both sounded all flowers and sunshine about it.  So....  I know not whereof I speak on this one  :) .

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2007, 01:21:22 PM »

I believe I read somewhere when this wide tire craze started it was because of Roger Bourget putting a car tire on the bike of one of his customs (at the time there weren't any wide tires available). I believe he said it rode like chit, but it was a show bike and soon after they were producing wider motorcycle tires.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »

That was one of those "I know not where of I speak" type of conversations TC.  When Max (at Traxxion Dynamics) was telling us about his feelings on the car-tire-on-a-Goldwing issue it all sounded perfectly logical.  And I know that just intuitively I'm not wild about the shape of the tire for bike use and would have to do some real homework on sidewall forces exerted back through the bike.  But just the day before when I was there two of his guys were working around the bikes talking about the same thing.  One said he'd done. The other was preparing to.  And both sounded all flowers and sunshine about it.  So....  I know not whereof I speak on this one  :) .

In another lifetime, I knew a lot about car tires, and have kept up to some lesser extent throughout the years. I have no doubt that a car tire on the back of a bike would go down the road without incident, in a more or less straight line, or even interstate type curves, but they just do not have the profile to run properly on a motorcycle in all conditions, particularly on curvey roads. And the temptation to overload the back of the bike with a big a$$ed car tire back there would just be too great. Keep 'em on the back end of trikes, or that 08 SESERVICAR coming out soon to a dealer near your home town.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2007, 03:42:40 PM »

In another lifetime, I knew a lot about car tires, and have kept up to some lesser extent throughout the years. I have no doubt that a car tire on the back of a bike would go down the road without incident, in a more or less straight line, or even interstate type curves, but they just do not have the profile to run properly on a motorcycle in all conditions, particularly on curvey roads. And the temptation to overload the back of the bike with a big a$$ed car tire back there would just be too great. Keep 'em on the back end of trikes, or that 08 SESERVICAR coming out soon to a dealer near your home town.

Hell Terry, just the shape of a flat (not uninflated, but unround) tire is enough to keep me from using such a tire on the back of a bike.  Some things are just obvious (they may still be wrong but they sure look obvious  ;D ).  So I'm not interested in experimenting here.  I just got a kick out of Max's guys one day talking it up one way with interest and Max the next day discussing it differently.  I personally agreed with Max.  I don't even have to know why; I just do  :2vrolijk_21: .

Two (no structural dynamacist here) lanerider

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2007, 04:03:37 PM »

Hell Terry, just the shape of a flat (not uninflated, but unround) tire is enough to keep me from using such a tire on the back of a bike.  Some things are just obvious (they may still be wrong but they sure look obvious  ;D ).  So I'm not interested in experimenting here.  I just got a kick out of Max's guys one day talking it up one way with interest and Max the next day discussing it differently.  I personally agreed with Max.  I don't even have to know why; I just do  :2vrolijk_21: .

Two (no structural dynamacist here) lanerider

I think I was just in shock when Max started talking about that, as it had never really occured to me that someone would consider doing it for any reason other than a novelty.  I guess some people out there will try anything, and I guess if you do 90% of your riding on the interstates getting from point A to B as fast as you can, with as much chit as you can carry, it might be a viable alternative.  It's just weird, and illogical.  I think Max even said that if you need to carry 500lbs of chit with you, then a different kind of vehicle is called for.

WTF has this got to do with batteries, anyhow? :nixweiss:

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »

Damn, where's a Rodeomotator when you need one.

Tros

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2007, 10:36:10 PM »

I think I was just in shock when Max started talking about that, as it had never really occurred to me that someone would consider doing it for any reason other than a novelty.  I guess some people out there will try anything, and I guess if you do 90% of your riding on the interstates getting from point A to B as fast as you can, with as much chit as you can carry, it might be a viable alternative.  It's just weird, and illogical.  I think Max even said that if you need to carry 500lbs of chit with you, then a different kind of vehicle is called for.

About as much as the Mason-Dixon/county name discussion.  :huepfenlol2: 

It's a twisty little thread or is it a little twisty thread......

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2007, 06:44:43 PM »

Interstate gel. Can be mounted in any postion. Cranks the big 140inch motors. Should crank our 103-110s?

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »

This has to be one of the most hilarious threads I have ever read on the site.  Thanks for the posts on batteries, tires and the historical information on Winston!!

I have not ridden my bike since November and did not us a B/T on the battery.  I went to ride it 3 weeks ago and the bike is dead.  I bought a B/T 2 weeks ago and battery will not even take a charge.  Dealer said I should bring it in and have them charge it but I think I am just going to buy a new battery and chalk it up to my mistake.  I agree I do not want to be stuck on the side of the road with a battery I do not have confidence in.   Hoist mentioned possible damage/ concerns with the electrical system.  Is anyone aware of something I should look for once I put a new battery in?  I will follow 4 step procedure when changing battery.

Thanks.. TMAC  :coolblue:
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2008, 05:53:26 PM »

This has to be one of the most hilarious threads I have ever read on the site.  Thanks for the posts on batteries, tires and the historical information on Winston!!

I have not ridden my bike since November and did not us a B/T on the battery.  I went to ride it 3 weeks ago and the bike is dead.  I bought a B/T 2 weeks ago and battery will not even take a charge.   Dealer said I should bring it in and have them charge it but I think I am just going to buy a new battery and chalk it up to my mistake.  I agree I do not want to be stuck on the side of the road with a battery I do not have confidence in.   Hoist mentioned possible damage/ concerns with the electrical system.  Is anyone aware of something I should look for once I put a new battery in?  I will follow 4 step procedure when changing battery.

Thanks.. TMAC  :coolblue:

A battery tender will "not" chrg a dead battery. Try using a charger first, then see if it will hold a chrg.

Dave
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2008, 09:16:30 AM »

My 2000 Deuce, now owned by a friend and always on the battery tender, still has its original battery and fires right up.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »

My 2000 Deuce, now owned by a friend and always on the battery tender, still has its original battery and fires right up.
Wow!  You sure he hasn't slipped a new one in when you weren't looking?  I know the GeezerGlides with all the added electric robbing stuff on 'em won't last as long as a Deuce, but me and D00d are trying, anyway.  I'm still on the Fall of '03 battery in the Huckleberry.   :o :nervous: :-\  har!  :drink: (I just hope I don't end up riding 'bitch' on Maude while in Daytona)  :'( spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2008, 08:38:20 PM »

Spyder, I called Jenni a couple weeks ago to see if she'd ship batteries.  Wouldn't you know it, she was off and due to return this past Monday.  I kept forgetting all d@mn week to call her back.  I'll be in the car for 3 hours on Monday, so I'll try to remember then. ::)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »

Spyder, I called Jenni a couple weeks ago to see if she'd ship batteries.  Wouldn't you know it, she was off and due to return this past Monday.  I kept forgetting all d@mn week to call her back.  I'll be in the car for 3 hours on Monday, so I'll try to remember then. ::)

I wonder........I was just informed by a local indy shop that their cost on batteries is getting a significant per cent cost increase shortly, so I better do something soon to get the current price even w/o a discount.  Probably when I return from the Daytona Run.  I'm due  a new one soon......I read the post that D00d put up in it's entirety from BatteryTender and they're saying avg. life of a battery when kept on the tender is: 5 to 7 years, and they'd change batterys every 5 years......so, that would be what I'm coming up on next Fall.   :2vrolijk_21:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2008, 11:01:23 PM »

I wonder........I was just informed by a local indy shop that their cost on batteries is getting a significant per cent cost increase shortly, so I better do something soon to get the current price even w/o a discount.  Probably when I return from the Daytona Run.  I'm due  a new one soon......I read the post that D00d put up in it's entirety from BatteryTender and they're saying avg. life of a battery when kept on the tender is: 5 to 7 years, and they'd change batterys every 5 years......so, that would be what I'm coming up on next Fall.   :2vrolijk_21:  spyder
Inspire me.... Go for five years and I'll do it too. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2008, 06:25:38 PM »

Spyder, no problems getting a battery from Jenni and thanks to Chuck, I didn't have to hunt her down on account of her recent job change. :2vrolijk_21:  Just in case you didn't see the posts, she's at Tri-County H-D in Cincinatti, OH, 513-874-4343.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2008, 06:42:10 PM »

P.S.  Now you have no excuse to play battery "chicken" like Fired00d. ;D

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »

P.S.  Now you have no excuse to play battery "chicken" like Fired00d. ;D

:P :P I was pretty much convinced to get one this year (4yrs w/original), but now you've challenged me. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »

:P :P I was pretty much convinced to get one this year (4yrs w/original), but now you've challenged me. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Yep, he challenged us both.  And I just finished the Daytona Run with the late '03 battery and it held up just fine.  I'm like Kramer w/ the car salesman trying to run on empty........I'm going for it now!  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »

Yep, he challenged us both.  And I just finished the Daytona Run with the late '03 battery and it held up just fine.  I'm like Kramer w/ the car salesman trying to run on empty........I'm going for it now!  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder
That's what I'm talking about. :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »

Don't forget the CVOHarley Rescue Trailer Thread then Spyd! ::) :P ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2008, 10:05:59 PM »

Don't forget the CVOHarley Rescue Trailer Thread then Spyd! ::) :P ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Somewhere around here Gary said he loves the challenge or the thrill or whatever that riding around on a 3/4 shot to hell battery provides, so I told him I'd wave, but keep cruising right on by whenever I saw his broken down butt on the side of the road 'cuz I wouldn't want to be the one to bring a premature end to the fun he was havin'. 8) :o ;D

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2008, 10:12:48 PM »

Somewhere around here Gary said he loves the challenge or the thrill or whatever that riding around on a 3/4 shot to hell battery provides, so I told him I'd wave, but keep cruising right on by whenever I saw his broken down butt on the side of the road 'cuz I wouldn't want to be the one to bring a premature end to the fun he was havin'. 8) :o ;D

I ain't even worried about that. You wouldn't leave me stranded no way, no how. :huepfenlol2: You wouldn't want to give up the photo op of me riding B... SR w/you. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »

You wouldn't want to give up the photo op of me riding B... SR w/you.
  Now THAT would worth saying:

:worthless:  :worthless:

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »

Well, we got three bikes, and in the last six months, we've replaced three batteries.  What are you supposed to do with the old ones?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »

Well, we got three bikes, and in the last six months, we've replaced three batteries.  What are you supposed to do with the old ones?

Give 'em to Gary. He can probably squeeze a few extra days out of them! ::) :P ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2008, 11:54:15 AM »

You should be able to drop them off at a NAPA, Autozone, etc for them to recycle.  Our Interstate dealer takes ours.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2008, 12:15:36 PM »

Give 'em to Gary. He can probably squeeze a few extra days out of them! ::) :P ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)
Chithead!!! :P :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »

Chithead!!! :P :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

:o ;D ;D ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Yeap....    :huepfenlol2: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :mango: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2008, 12:49:33 PM »

Yeap....    :huepfenlol2: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :mango: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:
Chithead II :P :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »

Chithead II :P :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

And Gary, EB is more like it! ::) :P ;D

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 21 queries.