Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Best Battery? Need a new one!  (Read 22710 times)

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Best Battery? Need a new one!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 08:07:44 AM »

Get the battery from HD, They are a gel type and do last well as others stated. Using a battery tender while the bike is parked helps them last longer as well.
I have been using a Battery Tender Plus since day one, I leave it plugged in 24/7. But here in AZ they tend to burn up fast. The heat kills them. My car only lasts 2-3 years, max. So, its better to be proactive. I havent had any trouble just want the info if needed.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 06:33:14 PM »

I have been using a Battery Tender Plus since day one, I leave it plugged in 24/7. But here in AZ they tend to burn up fast. The heat kills them. My car only lasts 2-3 years, max. So, its better to be proactive. I havent had any trouble just want the info if needed.
Of course I'm talking about batteries here. Not the tender.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

rogerTX/05/SE2

• TX05CVO
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »

with All the additions and add ons I'm having trouble with my battery. (# 2) Has anyone added a Higher output alternator. Does anyone have a solution for the mechanically challenged?

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 01:32:16 AM »

with All the additions and add ons I'm having trouble with my battery. (# 2) Has anyone added a Higher output alternator. Does anyone have a solution for the mechanically challenged?

Roger, welome to the site.

I was under the impression that the highest output was 1.4k

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 03:50:20 AM »

Good morning rogerTX/05/SE2,

I send you the  :welcome_005: from FRANCE.

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 08:30:04 PM »

I very nearly bought an Odyssey battery since the dealer wasn't playing ball on replacing mine under warranty

It was very weak at less than 2 years old and on an Optimate most of the time - it would start OK straight off but if I left the ign on without starting for any time at all (like to get helmet and gloves on and close the garage etc) it would be too low to do the business.

Dave Knight, the Odyssey importer http://www.knightbatteries.com/, was having problems getting hold of stock - I wanted the PC925LMJ which is a special edition PC925 to fit Harley Davidson Road King, Electra and Ultra Glides 1999-onwards (pre 99 uses the PC680MJ)  @ £133.25 !! that's like $250 +

The posts are reversed on this version and the battery lies on its side to put the positive and negative terminals in the right place for the standard wiring.

Anyway - he couldn't get stock - didn't stop him taking payment from my card though... and the HD dealer finally came through so I'm back with a new standard gel HD battery and it seems to be fine now.

I will include the battery saga in an update on the trials and tribulations of being a Harley Rider in UK next time it's raining (yeah - I know - should be soon) and I can sit down and type it all in.

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »

I plug my battery tender in every couple of weeks. From what I am seeing here, I assume most people are leaving their tenders plugged in all the time. Is that OK to do? I was afraid it might not be the best for the battery.

I plug my battery tender in every time my bike goes in the garage for the night.  I've done that for years on the last three bikes......can't remember the last time that I had to buy an MC battery.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 11:28:31 AM »

You might get a better price thru a store like Batteries Plus, I haven't bought a battery for my RK yet, but they have better prices on other batteries I bought, they have battery tenders too. Battery Tenders are worth the price, get you a couple of extra years out of your battery and besides that it sucks when you go out to start your bike, or ATV after long time and it won't start!!!

http://www.batteriesplus.com/

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 11:37:31 AM »

You might get a better price thru a store like Batteries Plus, I haven't bought a battery for my RK yet, but they have better prices on other batteries I bought, they have battery tenders too. Battery Tenders are worth the price, get you a couple of extra years out of your battery and besides that it sucks when you go out to start your bike, or ATV after long time and it won't start!!!

http://www.batteriesplus.com/

Get a sealed HD battery. These things are great. They hold up at least 3 years . Keep them on a BT. Replace after 3 years. You'll never have battery problems again. Don't wait til they're going bad. They wreak havoc on your electics/electronics. Chit, with all we spend on these bikes, do yourself and your bike a favor and replace it every 3 years, whether you think it needs it or not! You'll have one less thing to worry about! Those are Hoist Words of Wisdom for today! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 11:43:47 AM »

Get a sealed HD battery. These things are great. They hold up at least 3 years . Keep them on a BT. Replace after 3 years. You'll never have battery problems again. Don't wait til they're going bad. They wreak havoc on your electics/electronics. Chit, with all we spend on these bikes, do yourself and your bike a favor and replace it every 3 years, whether you think it needs it or not! You'll have one less thing to worry about! Those are Hoist Words of Wisdom for today! ;) Hoist! 8)

Hey Howie, me too (ok, three).  These pigs are too big to push start and the electronics don't like dirty power anyway.  For me a battery is prevenative maintenance at the end if it's third year in service too.  It's one of those "just ain't worth screwing with it" kind of things.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 11:57:09 AM »

Hey Howie, me too (ok, three).  These pigs are too big to push start and the electronics don't like dirty power anyway.  For me a battery is prevenative maintenance at the end if it's third year in service too.  It's one of those "just ain't worth screwing with it" kind of things.

Precisely my point Don. It's always the guys trying to squeeze every last drop of battery time, that have battery/electrical issues. Treat it like an oil change, and all your battery problems disappear! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 04:42:36 PM »

Sorry fella's (Don/Howie) I tend to disagree w/the automatic replacement of the battery after 3 years if it's being maintained by a battery tender. From what I've read on batteries and how they go bad as long as it's steady charge is maintained (by use of a battery tender whenever the bikes not in operation) they should last well over three years. I'll let you know how long my goes before replacing as of now it's been in since June '04, and been on a BT whenever it's parked at home.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 04:51:36 PM »

Sorry fella's (Don/Howie) I tend to disagree w/the automatic replacement of the battery after 3 years if it's being maintained by a battery tender. From what I've read on batteries and how they go bad as long as it's steady charge is maintained (by use of a battery tender whenever the bikes not in operation) they should last well over three years. I'll let you know how long my goes before replacing as of now it's been in since June '04, and been on a BT whenever it's parked at home.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Do what you want d00d, but when you're on a trip, and you go to start your bike in the morning one day, and it's completely dead, you'll know that research didn't help too much. Go by theory or go by experience. Your choice. But for the price of a battery every 3 years for peace of mind, it's priceless! C'mon man, $40/year! :nixweiss: It's a no brainer! ;)
Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 04:54:40 PM »

Do what you want d00d, but when you're on a trip, and you go to start your bike in the morning one day, and it's completely dead, you'll know that research didn't help too much. Go by theory or go by experience. Your choice. But for the price of a battery every 3 years for peace of mind, it's priceless! C'mon man, $40/year! :nixweiss: It's a no brainer! ;)
Hoist! 8)
Why use a BT then. :confused5: As long as the battery doesn't discharge it shouldn't be a problem. Until I'm proven wrong I'm sticking w/my theory. When it does go bad on a trip it's an easy replacement and I'm sure you'll give me a ride to a dealership to get a new one. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 04:56:46 PM »

Why use a BT then. :confused5: As long as the battery doesn't discharge it shouldn't be a problem. Until I'm proven wrong I'm sticking w/my theory. When it does go bad on a trip it's an easy replacement and I'm sure you'll give me a ride to a dealership to get a new one. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I'll be happy to let you ride bitch, if you'd like! Why be in that position. Kinda vulnerable. Use the BT so it doesn't weaken if it's sitting for a period. You always have full charge. As long as it's a good battery that is! ;) Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.