Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Best Battery? Need a new one!  (Read 22764 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: Best Battery? Need a new one!
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »

And Winston County, Alabama was neutral during "The War" as well.....

NO chit??? I never woulda thunk that! In Alabama? I learn something new here everyday.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2007, 05:51:26 PM »

NO chit??? I never woulda thunk that! In Alabama? I learn something new here everyday.

Better than that.  They weren't just a neutral county within Alabama (as far as they were concnerned).  They seceded from Alabama.  Argued that if a state could secede from the Union then a county could secede from the state.  Didn't wan't any part of brothers fighting brothers.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 05:52:57 PM »

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 05:55:45 PM »

Actually, Winston County refused to join the Confederacy, and tried to make themselves a Republic...they never did join the Confederacy though...

North Alabama and South Alabama are like two different States...historically, and to some extent presently.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 05:56:22 PM »

Batteries are still relatively unpredictable things after a point, unfortunately.  The Gels and maintainence free stuff has really helped matters a great deal, but when the chemicals/plates stop working, they tend to do so suddenly and without much warning.  Plates break, vibrate loose, etc.  Preventing them from cycling down and back up helps a lot in the longevity (BT), but in the end, if I've got a three year battery, I start getting nervous after about 3.5 and figure I'm livin' on borrowed time.  And with my luck, mine would FU out in BFE after I got through wizzin' in the bushes, and I'd be in a place with no downhill or flat ground for miles. :nervous:  And I ain't big enough to push the bitch off.  My old VW's were easier to push, I think...they got pushed a lot ;-)

The Vrod is the worst...the battery in it is just barely big enough to turn the motor over with 11:1 compression, even if it's just been sitting a week.  If you've got a V, you'd better keep it on a BT ALL the time if you don't ride it every day.

And Winston County, Alabama was neutral during "The War" as well.....
I remember reading somewhere that w/FI it is not recommended or possible to push start our bikes. :nixweiss: I guess I'm either going to write a testimonial for BT or be very pissed at there product. I've been using it since day one when I got my bike and whenever I park bike at home it gets plugged in.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 05:58:49 PM »

Same as West KY and East KY. West Ky people are sharecroppers and farmers from Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi. East KY people are, Well, from East Ky.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2007, 06:11:56 PM »

Since we're hijacking...most of the large plantations were South of Birmingham.  What we had around here was lot's and lot's of iron ore, so you know what happened near here.  There's actually an old furnace/foundary that's now a State Park....Tannehill State Park....it's only 10 miles or so from my house.  Interesting place to visit if you're ever down this way.  Pretty place as well.  Birmingham itself is a young city, not really getting established until after the war when the steel industry got cranked up.

Back to batteries and tires....I'm a believer in BT's.  I've had too many deep cycle marine batteries on bass boats not to know the value of keeping things charged up fully all the time.  I definitely think they extend the life, but after a point, the chemical composition starts breaking down no matter what you do, then it's the extremes that get 'em. 

I've got nearly 12K on my front tire, and it's still got good tread.  The rear was replaced at about 6K in MV from a flat, so now this rear looks like it would get another 3 or 4K without any trouble.  They're both coming off soon though....

TTS Mastertune

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 06:18:26 PM »

I'll hijack one more post, then I'm gone home.

I sell Butler steel buildings. I've been to Birmingham several times. I think they still have some office people there, but no manufacturing plant. I was there just a couple of years ago, my wife's sister lived there. Wish they still did, I'd havean excuse to ride down to meet ya!

I gotta go, caught my hair on fire.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 06:50:52 PM »

:huepfenlol2: LOL!!! Good answer!! I understand where both Howie and Don are coming from, but in this case I'm going to have to find out just how good a BT is going to be. With Harley shops popping up like Starbucks to be somewhere and battery goes tits up to me is going to be a minor inconvenience. Along w/knowing how long batter will last w/battery tender it will allow me to test out my HOG membership and get my bike picked up and taken to a dealership. Anyway the jury is still out on the battery.

BTW you mentioned tires I'm going to stick my new hip on the chopping block again and say that I got 15k out of a rear tire before it was changed. Granted I didn't have any trips planned as it got close to this mileage and wanted to see how long it would last so I may have taken it to the extreme. Will also mention that if I've a ride planned (locally) and they are calling for rain I'll not pull my bike out, so getting caught in bad weather (rain) wasn't an issue. Also remember during the time I was stretching this tire out I was having problems w/my hip so there was another reason I wouldn't ride in rain. It was hard enough holding bike and myself up on dry pavement I wasn't about to try this on wet pavement. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

No 2 batteries will last the same. You can't predict these things. Have fun experimenting and call me when you need to ride bitch ,to carry one back to your bike! If they have one in stock, fully charged! ;) Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 06:52:38 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »

Actually, Winston County refused to join the Confederacy, and tried to make themselves a Republic...they never did join the Confederacy though...

North Alabama and South Alabama are like two different States...historically, and to some extent presently.

TC, I can't remember some of my pre-bellum history right now.  Winston County wasn't even Winston County not too long before the war.  It changed names within the decade prior to hostilities.  Got any idea what the old name was?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2007, 08:30:20 PM »

No 2 batteries will last the same. You can't predict these things. Have fun experimenting and call me when you need to ride bitch ,to carry one back to your bike! If they have one in stock, fully charged! ;) Hoist! 8)
Did some investigating and this can be taken w/a grain of salt because it is coming from the manufacturers website.

However when the questioned was asked (click question for answer) - What is the expected life of a H-D battery? If this holds to be true I'll look at replacing my battery in June '09. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2007, 08:40:21 PM »

Did some investigating and this can be taken w/a grain of salt because it is coming from the manufacturers website.

However when the questioned was asked (click question for answer) - What is the expected life of a H-D battery? If this holds to be true I'll look at replacing my battery in June '09. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I pretty much agree and use BT's on all my bikes. Thay also say there: "What the lab tests can not prove is how vigilant one is about battery maintenance (if watering is required) and how much shake, rattle, heat, and cold the battery has been subjected." So you do yours in 5 like the article says, and you'll probably be OK. Maybe. I'll do mine in 3, and I know I'll be OK. No reason to ever have to think about batteries! :beatdeadhorse: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »

I pretty much agree and use BT's on all my bikes. Thay also say there: "What the lab tests can not prove is how vigilant one is about battery maintenance (if watering is required) and how much shake, rattle, heat, and cold the battery has been subjected." So you do yours in 5 like the article says, and you'll probably be OK. Maybe. I'll do mine in 3, and I know I'll be OK. No reason to ever have to think about batteries! :beatdeadhorse: Hoist! 8)
True dat. :2vrolijk_21: We all have to do what we feel comfortable doing. Doesn't make me right, you right or me wrong, you wrong.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »

TC, I can't remember some of my pre-bellum history right now.  Winston County wasn't even Winston County not too long before the war.  It changed names within the decade prior to hostilities.  Got any idea what the old name was?

Don...here you go...it was named after a famous signer...

Winston County was established under the name "Hancock County" on February 12, 1850. It was originally named for John Hancock, Governor of Massachusetts and famous signer of the American Declaration of Independence, with its county seat at Houston. On January 22, 1858, the county was renamed Winston County to honor Alabama Gov. John A. Winston. During the American Civil War, the county refused to join the Confederacy and declared itself the Republic of Winston. Today it is popularly and colloquially known as "the Free State of Winston". The county seat was moved to Double Springs in 1883 so it would be near the center of the county, as Cullman was created from the eastern portion of Winston. [reference: Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921]

Also, since we're totally off the subject, that area of Alabama is almost totally unsuited for large scale agriculture, thus the reason for the differences in that part of the state and the southern portions, which remain predominately agricultural to this day.  In and around Winston County is located one of the most beautiful scenic areas anywhere in the Southeast...The Sipsey Wilderness.  It is a canyon which fortunately was saved by some concerned citizens back in the late 60's and early 70's (me being one of them).  During the last Ice Age, much of Alabama had the same flora as today's Canada, and parts of the Appalacian chain...the Sipsey has Hemlock trees, giant poplars, etc.  The Champion Poplar tree is located 6 miles into the wilderness and is so large it takes 6 to 8 people to reach around it. It is well over 400 years old.  I try to go there every few years for an overnighter, as it is a very special place to me.

I take batteries for my flashlight....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:45:43 PM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2007, 10:36:30 PM »

Don...here you go...it was named after a famous signer...

Winston County was established under the name "Hancock County" on February 12, 1850. It was originally named for John Hancock, Governor of Massachusetts and famous signer of the American Declaration of Independence, with its county seat at Houston. On January 22, 1858, the county was renamed Winston County to honor Alabama Gov. John A. Winston. During the American Civil War, the county refused to join the Confederacy and declared itself the Republic of Winston. Today it is popularly and colloquially known as "the Free State of Winston". The county seat was moved to Double Springs in 1883 so it would be near the center of the county, as Cullman was created from the eastern portion of Winston. [reference: Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921]

Thanks.  That rings a few bells.  Changed from a colonial Governor to a local Governor.

Republic of Winston.  That reminded me of another story.  Quite a few years ago a municipality up north decided to secede from its home state.  No one cared. 

It considered itself seceded; and still no one cared.  Then a car dealership in a neighboring town gave their police department a car to use as a patrol car.  The dealership took a tax deduction for "foreign aid."  The IRS cared.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 22 queries.