Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Leg fairing vents?  (Read 3571 times)

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
Re: Leg fairing vents?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 10:23:31 AM »

Hey do these vents really work at keeping the rider and bike cooler? How do they compare to no lowers? Has anybody installed them themselves? Is it difficult? [smiley=confused5.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004, 10:40:13 AM »

I installed them on my last Ultra.  They are better than no vents... but are NOT like having the lowers off.  And they only work when the bikes movin'.  Sitting at a light, etc. is just as bad as before.  

The work involved in installing, isn't worth it to me to do a second time (although if you find the vendor at a rally they'll install for free).  I've built engines, bikes, etc.  And cutting the holes in the lowers was the most stressfull thing I've done!  Don't know why, maybe it's just me!

Living in Chicago, we get everything from 35 below to 105 degrees!  I'd rather just not have them on.  So as soon as I brought my new bike home I took the lowers off and accepted the fact that they will be collecting dust forever.   The lowers ARE convenient but not worth dealing with in the heat.  I've considered getting another set of vents... but they just don't do that much unless you're on the highway.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2004, 12:04:23 PM »

OK guys, here's a dumb question...

I hear complaining about the lowers in hot locations.  I have never had lowers before, and still got pretty warm when not moving.  Are the lowers OK to ride with if you have footpegs installed outside the lowers on the crash bar?  Or is it still too hot for some physics reason?  Just wondering for my travels this summer.

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 11:13:21 PM »

I have footpegs installed w/o extensions (I'm) 6'1" w/ pretty long legs. Have no problem with the footpegs. Only thing is that with the lowers I have to change the angle of my feet a little or they rub the edges of the lowers. [smiley=beerchug.gif]
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2004, 09:49:08 AM »

Hey do these vents really work at keeping the rider and bike cooler? How do they compare to no lowers? Has anybody installed them themselves? Is it difficult? [smiley=confused5.gif]

I installed mine, used a dremel to router the hole out. Just followed the direction in the kit. Kit comes with a guide to position and use as a cutting jig. In all took about an hour or a little more. Real easy install. It has only gotten above 80 here a couple of time so far, as long as you are moving it does cool it down on the legs.  Black ones for the Orange and Black SEEG are not seen as much. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2004, 06:25:56 AM »

Doc, still too hot!  I tried that too.  You'll want them off.

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2004, 10:34:36 AM »

Ofender...I am in uttter AWE of your computer graphics skills...I just wonder how many tires you have had to buy for that thing...cuz it just keeps em smokin!!!!! [smiley=bigok.gif]

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2004, 11:13:33 AM »

I got my computer graphic skills paid for by an employer many years ago who sent me to school to learn AutoCAD. I love doin' it almost as much as I love to ride!!! [smiley=computer.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 11:51:08 AM »

Still getting questions about these vents, as I meet people new to this site or to the SEEG.  So, for those of you with an 04......here it is.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.