Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oxidized cylinder fins...resolved....  (Read 759 times)

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
Oxidized cylinder fins...resolved....
« on: April 09, 2006, 09:51:51 PM »

My cylinder fins, forward facing, were starting to look bad. The cut part was kinda oxidizing and looking pretty dull...

I tried a few things, nothing really worked too well. Out of frustration, I went down to Hollingsworth Harley, in St.Augustine, and talked the Albert...he seems to know all kind of tricks and things...been around forever...

Anyway, he handed me a small piece of a "scotch brite" pad looking thing, red in color. He said carefully, but with force rub the cut part of the fin. I'll be...it worked, it worked really good actually. I ended up running over to ACE and picked up the red 3m polishing pad, resembling the Scotch pads you can get in a grocery store and went at it.

A few cuts and blisters later, my fins look new. I was really stressing over how bad they were starting to look too. I shopped to have them diamond cut, or anything that would bring them back to life. But for the 6.45 I spent, I couldn't be happier.

Wet sanding did'nt work, my dremel didn't work, but this seems to cut just the right amount of aluminum off without causing a problem.

Even Wendy noticed... ;)

Funny the details we sweat....well at least I sweat...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 09:52:37 PM by phattey »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Oxidized cylinder fins...resolved....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:11:24 PM »

Thanks for the tip!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Oxidized cylinder fins...resolved....
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 10:31:42 PM »

Hey Phattey......thanks a bunch for passing this on.....I just added this to my laundry list for tomorrow.  :P har!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.