Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: From Sturgis and the Black Hills....across the country and back....  (Read 16484 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Wow, a different place when you're actually able to ride....and not be stuck in a very long line of bikes just waiting to get off the highway or on the highway.  During the rally, it doesn't matter if you're on Main St., riding the Black Hills or waiting to use the outhouse.....you're in line waiting.

Left the Three Flags RV Park yesterday, after I finally got out of bed (retired ain't for sissies....but I got this!) and headed down the highway in a t-shirt.  We're at an RV Park about four miles east of Black Hills HD and about 19 miles from Sturgis.  Got these shots as I passed by on the highway.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:25:55 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Sturgis and the Black Hills....a rally of one.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »

A lot of road work between Rapid City and Sturgis.  Getting it ready for Cam and Kiro next year....    Babe and I were talking day before yesterday about how nice all the roads are around here compared to Colorado.

How many times I've been down this street.....

And some of the Sutrgis Landmarks that many of you know but may not recognize when they're closed and nobody around....

Sidecar Willy?

And Main St. is just not the same, either...but all the rally banners are still up....

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »

It was about this time, as I was headed back to the highway towards Deadwood that I noticed my "check engine" light and the "battery" light came on and my volts had dropped so I headed straight to Black Hills HD back in Rapid City to get it checked out.  For those that have never been, this dealership is massive.  I'm not sure who they're selling all the motorcycles to.  While in the service dept. I overheard a customer talking about storing his bike for the winter....yep, it snows here so they don't even year around riding.

A stator and the compensator both had to be replaced.  Greatful for the extended warranty....he told me that it'd be $1,017 if I didn't have the extended warranty.  It's 5:30 p.m.  Back on the road and headed to the Black Hills before the sun goes down.  There are still a lot of riders in the area.....and on a weekday...

We're seeing more and more big rigs pulling 5th wheels.  This one is kind of a small 5th wheel for a big rig.  Notice the Smart car behind the droan.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »

and if you've never rode the Black Hills, these signs are everywhere!

The sign shows a switchback but actually, they're corkscrews....where the road goes in a complete loop back over the top of itself.  The Black Hills have a lot of switchbacks and several corkscrews....

The angle of approach is interesting.  You can't see a car or bike coming until you've made the turn into the tunnel.....people often have to back up...

How did I get my F-350 dually through all these tunnels the day before yesterday?   :nixweiss:   Those pics were posted on facebook.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »

This is another one of those corkscrews.  If you look to the left, under the guardrail, you'll see where the road comes from under this bridge before going from the bridge straight into the tunnel....this is one of those kind of roads where a video would be so much better...

My gps gives you some idea of the corkscrews and switchbacks in this part of the park.....as you can see, I'm about to head in to another one...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 12:32:44 PM »

I met this couple further down the road.  From Canada and he works at a raptor center, training the American bald eagles.  Showed me a couple of videos on his phone....very interesting.  You meet the nicest people on a Honda.  :huepfenlol2:

The top half of this sign starts out kind of like the sign for Tail Of The Dragon.  It's the last few lines of this sign that make it uniquely different....

The sun was starting to go down.....much more than it looks like in these pics.....and I've already noticed that the wildlife is starting to come out and I've got quite a ways to go before I get back down out of these mountains.  OK, fessing up.....I did have several close calls going back down...two with deer and one close call with buffalo.

Heards of deer on both sides of the road and they're all trying to figure out which way to go as I'm on my back brake to the point the ABS kicked in...but hey, I got that picture dammit!  :2vrolijk_21:

My buffalo encounter.  They don't move fast like deer do but when they decide they want to cross the road.....well they just cross it any time they want because they know they can and besides, we're in their house....fortunately, for me, they didn't stop in the middle of the road.   :o

And still more deer running in front of me.  I saw more deer yesterday in a 20 mile streatch than I've ever saw in a day....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »

A cave with a pond if front of the door.  Man, these bears up here have it made!

And another picture that speaks a thousand words.....

Have you ever tried to ride a motorcycle one handed, slow speed while you're trying to take pictures with a Nikon?  Just wonderin.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »

The narrowest tunnel of them all at 8'4" wide.  I'm still surprised that I was able to get my dually truck through this one, day before yesterday.  The whole way through I just kept thinking about the you tube videos that I'd seen in the past where people got their vehicles stuck in here.  :o  Babe was a nervous wreck....I told her "just look at the floorboard!".  She did and missed the whole adventure.....

And.....the reason they call it Needles Highway.....and it feels like you're squeezing through the eye of a needle...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 12:35:54 PM »

And, for those of you that aren't on my facebook, here are the pics from the day before, when we were in my truck....

We stopped and talked to the couple on the bike at the far end.  They're from Vancouver, BC and they're on a CVO but didn't know anything about this forum.  I gave them a business card.  She videoed us in the truck, coming at them through the tunnel...only an inch or two in places, on either side.  We made it through without a scratch.....great depth perception.  8'4" and I'm taking these photos as I'm driving through.....Babe looking at the floorboard.  :huepfenlol2:

And if you take the wildlife loop of Custer State Park you come up on all kinds of wildlife like buffalo and antelope.  And there's a heard of these critters.....the food police.  All the wildlife stand right in the road.....buffalo, antelope, etc. but eventually they'll move.  These guys stand in the road, with the mammas and the babies on the shoulders and two or three of them will stand in front of you while another posse comes up to the windows on both sides of your vehicle and they put their nuzzle against the glass until eventually you roll your windows down and give them what ever food you have in your car.  If you don't have any (they know....they can smell it) they quickly move on to the next vehicle.  If you have food they hold you hostage until you give it up.  Once you start handing out the groceries, those that are standing in front now come up to your window to get their share and now you can proceed.....the food police.

Keep your drivers license, registration and insurance....we just want the groceries....

These people have a barking dog in the back seat and nothing to eat.....carry on.....

In the opposite direction, you see the president's heads as you come out of one of the tunnels....

We also went to the Crazy Horse Memorial the day that we were in the truck.  As large as the president's heads are, Crazy Horse is much, much larger.

We hope you've enjoyed the journey....

West Coast GTG   

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »

Awesome pics JC!! I need to get out there at some point....
Mike
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:34:17 PM by mjb765 »

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »

Great Pic's thanks JC.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

1dcfireman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 03:16:11 PM »

Awesome Pics We were just out there for BW. Big difference now and then! Enjoy your journey!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 09:45:09 PM »

nice pics, thanks! always, enjoy the black hills and the badlands! looks like a great trip with nice weather to boot.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 10:12:08 PM »

It was supposed to rain today so Babe and I drove over to Ft. Meade Calvary Museum.  I'd rode by that place many times and just thought it was a VA hospital (on the way out of Sturgis to the old Full Throttle Saloon, on the right hand side).  One of the most interesting museums I've been to regarding American history.  Who would have known that our national anthem was first played on the parade grounds and an old fort that later becomes famous for the iron horse, Sturgis, South Dakota?  I'll be posting more pics tomorrow of that old fort and some of it's history as well as more pics taken in Deadwood and a couple very interesting ladies that we met there.

Right now.......it's raining very hard outside and we're greatful for this cozy little RV.  OK, maybe not so little at 42 feet and five slide outs. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 08:06:41 AM »

I've been to Sturgis a number of times.  Most people that ride a Harley have been there at least once in their lives.....it's kind of the mecca for Harley riders.  And I've rode out to the old Full Throttle Saloon (before it burned down) a number of times.  I vaguely remember the VA Hospital on the right just as you get out of town and before you get to the old FTS.

This week I noticed a number of signs along the highway from Rapid City to Sturgis that advertise about Ft. Meade Museum, Home To The 7th Calvary.  Being a US history buff....we went.  One of the best little museums that I've ever been to and the next time you're in Sturgis you may want to spend an hour or two.

http://www.fortmeademuseum.org/

But even more interesting than the old fort and it's history is the history of our national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner started here.....

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 25 queries.