Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Texas Wildflower Trail - 2018  (Read 3417 times)

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
Texas Wildflower Trail - 2018
« on: April 18, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »

I've lived in several regions in Texas. But as an adult, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Texas Hill Country. There is just something about the semi-arid terrain, the wicked looking oak trees, the people, the music, the BBQ, and...the rolling, twisty roads.

So when wildflower season comes along, what better excuse is needed! Given a relatively wet fall, this was hyped to be a banner season in wildflower production. But the lack of spring rain seems to have put a damper on Mother Nature's plans. Nonetheless, it was worth a trip down to see what's going on in the Hills. This trip was also intended to serve as a warm-up to a planned Great Southwest Tour (17 days / 4,200 miles)  that will take place in early May.

Route link: https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/829524 (MyRouteapp.com subscription required - either Free or Gold version)

Day 1

My bride and I departed on Tuesday, April 10, for a three day tour on what I call the Texas Wildflower Trail. On the way down, we took a late lunch break at Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor. Much to our surprise, the meats were a little disappointing this time around. The brisket was fatty (despite asking for the lean portion) and the pulled pork was dry. Perhaps it was because we were at the tail-end of the lunch run. Perhaps it was just coincidence. Perhaps they just had an off day in the smoker. Perhaps we'll try another eatery next time through.

After lunch, we took the slab around Round Rock to avoid the in-town traffic. Once on the west side of town, we took FM-1431 out to Marble Falls which we used as a base camp for two nights. We covered 270 miles for the day and were ready for Happy Hour by the pool, followed by a burger and early bedtime.

Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
Re: Texas Wildflower Trail - 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »

Day 2

After breakfast, we departed the hotel in 50 degree temps which quickly rose to 70 degrees by Noon. To get the tires warm, we took FM-2147 around the southern edge of Lake LBJ, going by Horseshoe Bay and the many other resort communities that have been built to cater to the weekend and retired crowd. After a short jaunt on TX-71, we then took FM-962 (and several other county and FM roads) as a back road approach to our first destination, the Willow City Loop.

In the +20 years we've been coming to the Texas Hill Country on the bike, we have driven by the Willow City Loop countless times, never taking the time to see what it had to offer. The loop is essentially a narrow road that meanders through perhaps 100's of ranchettes surrounding Willow City and provides spectacular views of flower-filled meadows and valleys on its 13-mile trek. The place is a "must see" especially in the Springtime.

There are no shoulders and all of the land is privately owned, so travelers are discouraged from pulling over and getting out. But it's impossible to resist the temptation, so we just parked on the road!

The northeast section of the loop has a pronounced elevation change, providing a view of a rustic "mountain" ridge and once at the top, a spectacular view of the valley below. We didn't have a decent place to stop once at the top, but did capture some pics of the ridge.

Once we completed our tour of the Willow City Loop, we headed north on TX-16 to Llano. We were tempted to stop at Coopers BBQ, but the line was too long, so we opted to continue on to Mason. Mason has a smaller Coopers BBQ venue, but also has a well-ranked down-home restaurant on the town square, called the Square Plate, that threw-down some tasty German vittles Texas-style.

Mason is a small ranching community that was originally founded as Fort Mason, a safe place for travelers while travelling through Apache and Comanche territory in the 1800's. The German heritage of the founders is evident in the architecture, churches, culture, and food...even today. It's not a big place, but the people are real friendly.

Of course, no trip to the Texas Hill Country is complete without a stop in Luckenbach. We arrived late afternoon with the hootin' and hollarin' and singin' already underway. There were a half dozen bikes parked in the lot, along with a tour bus and several cars - probably a crowd of 50 or so. Not bad for a Wednesday afternoon in mid-April. The beer was flowing, the crowd was singin', and the roosters crowing. I sometimes wonder if those roosters aren't trained to crow at just the right time when the artist(s) is singing "Let's go to Luckenbach Texas".

After catching and releasing our beer, we headed back to the hotel for our own private Happy Hour. We took the back roads and FM-1320 east of Fredericksburg was wildflower heaven...but we didn't stop for pics!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:25:29 PM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »

Day 3

Another Hill Country mainstay is the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls. Since 1929, the Blue Bonnet Cafe has been the place to see your neighbor, catch up on what's happening around town, or just stop-in when you're passing through. Their breakfast is the best around...as are their pies any time of day! Suffices to say, THIS is where we started our day.

Hoping to see more wildflowers, we took a northern route home - heading up US-281 to Hamilton, then TX-22 through Meridian and across Lake Whitney and into Hillsboro where we enjoyed lunch at the quaint Cotton Exchange Restaurant on the town square. The service was a little slow, but the food worth the wait.

With a front moving down, we experienced 25-30 mph wind sustained gusts the entire journey home. Seriously, I bet the bike was leaning 10-15 degrees into the wind. And unfortunately, the wildflowers were even more sparse along the route. But how can one complain having spent three quality days with my bride and riding my motorcycle!

All-in-all, the trip was about 800 miles. The new Ohlin Blackline 772 suspension performed flawlessly, even when the bike was fully loaded, as did the new 18" Touring Shield from Freedom Shields. Yup, I think Dusty is ready for the upcoming Great Southwest Tour...after a bath, of course.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:18:57 PM by RoadTrip »
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:42:55 PM »

Great trip!  Born & raised in Hillsboro, been traveling to see Texas wildflowers since I was born.  Lots of time around Marble Falls, always stop at the Blue Bonnet Cafe & have dreams about their pies.....   Wife thinks Louie Mueller uses too much pepper on the brisket, it's great as far as I am concerned.  Sounds like you got there on an off day, usually one of the best.  We still like Salt Lick, as much for the atmosphere as the bbq & the package store next door doesn't hurt.  Willow loop is a regular ride, Luckenbach is a regular stop - always fun.  Too bad Coopers was busy in Llano. We try to stop in Lockhart for bbq when we can, bbq heaven!  One of these days will get to Snows, not open enough time usually for us. Fun ride your pics made me want to go again.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:17:54 PM »

Love, love, love Lockhart Texas for BBQ...especially Black’s! But will try Krueze Market next time.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:40:58 PM »

Cannot go wrong with either one of them, as good as it gets! Smittys isn't bad, cannot think of the other bbq joint in Lockhart that is not as famous but is just as good.  Pecan Lodge in Dallas is darn good, too.  Still have not made it to Franklin's, the wait kills half a day - am thinking about an online pick up order instead. 

Now am thinking about the last beef rib I had at Black's - great memory! 

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 11:11:47 PM »

Love, love, love Lockhart Texas for BBQ...especially Black’s! But will try Krueze Market next time.
We were just down that way ourselves a couple weeks ago.  Weather was great until we got caught by that cold snap on April 6 - 9.  Thanks goodness for heated gear.  Rode the Three Twisted Sisters on the 5th and it was about 75.  Next day the cold front came through and it was in the low 40s.  But we still have a great time.  Had Texas brisket for the first time at Black's in Lockhart.  OMG being from the Memphis area I think pork BBQ is the best but I gotta say that brisket was pretty awesome for sure. :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 12:37:43 AM »

Sure do miss Cooper's BBQ in Llano, and Pappadeaux's (any city).

Love those bluebonnets and the Indian Paintbrush.  Did you see any of the I.P.?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:39:39 AM by Para Bellum »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 07:40:53 AM »

Sure do miss Cooper's BBQ in Llano, and Pappadeaux's (any city).

Love those bluebonnets and the Indian Paintbrush.  Did you see any of the I.P.?

Surprisingly, there wasn’t an abundance of Indian Paintbrush on the roads we ventured. I don’t know if the conditions weren’t right or it was too early. I know IP usually lasts longer into the summer than the bluebonnets, so maybe it blooms later too?
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »

Surprisingly, there wasn’t an abundance of Indian Paintbrush on the roads we ventured. I don’t know if the conditions weren’t right or it was too early. I know IP usually lasts longer into the summer than the bluebonnets, so maybe it blooms later too?
Thanks for the posting. Wife and I keep saying we need to make a run to the Texas Hill Country and see what its all about. Be a good excuse for a ride and a 4 day weekend
Most great stores start with a bad decision

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »

Thanks for the posting. Wife and I keep saying we need to make a run to the Texas Hill Country and see what its all about. Be a good excuse for a ride and a 4 day weekend

Worth the trip.  Generally, the 3 Sisters roads & parts directly west of Kerrville are more for riding (not many people/cars/bikes on weekdays) & less for wildflowers.  To enjoy the ride & the scenery instead of I-35 I usually take Hwy. 377 south from Bembrook/Granbury to Burnet to Marble Falls.  16 out to Llano is good, lots of roads around Austin are.  Marble Falls, Fredericksburg, and Kerrville are all good places to stay depending on what you want to ride/do while there.

Here is a link that gives some info on towns in the Hill Country that usually the best. http://www.texashighways.com/travel/item/6387-wildflowers
Lots of other resources are out there, we always enjoy the area, do not always hit the flowers at "peak" but has usually never mattered that much. 

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »

Worth the trip.  Generally, the 3 Sisters roads & parts directly west of Kerrville are more for riding (not many people/cars/bikes on weekdays) & less for wildflowers.  To enjoy the ride & the scenery instead of I-35 I usually take Hwy. 377 south from Bembrook/Granbury to Burnet to Marble Falls.  16 out to Llano is good, lots of roads around Austin are.  Marble Falls, Fredericksburg, and Kerrville are all good places to stay depending on what you want to ride/do while there.

Here is a link that gives some info on towns in the Hill Country that usually the best. http://www.texashighways.com/travel/item/6387-wildflowers
Lots of other resources are out there, we always enjoy the area, do not always hit the flowers at "peak" but has usually never mattered that much.
Thank you iski. We will spend a little time with that link. As far as places to stay, we have got to where we camp off the bike a lot, so campgrounds with showers is what we try to find

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 01:57:42 PM »

No help on campgrounds from here, wife thinks camping is a motel without room service. ;D   Several state parks in the Hill Country are worth checking out.  Years ago camped at Inks Lake, very scenic, part of a chain of lakes along the Colorado River.  Lots of campgrounds along the rivers, shouldn't have any trouble finding something good. 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 07:13:40 PM »

Great pics, Thanks for sharing  :2vrolijk_21: AND THAT PIE  :o

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 07:57:44 PM »

No help on campgrounds from here, wife thinks camping is a motel without room service. ;D   Several state parks in the Hill Country are worth checking out.  Years ago camped at Inks Lake, very scenic, part of a chain of lakes along the Colorado River.  Lots of campgrounds along the rivers, shouldn't have any trouble finding something good.
Thanks again... giving us some more options and places to explore, and still stay within a 4 day weekend.

Thanks for sharing the ride!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.