Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Doherty PowerPacc  (Read 23544 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Doherty PowerPacc
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »

[highlight]Still trying to get them d@mn radio bolts on[/highlight], huh Terry?!?   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

PowerPacc looks GREAT!  Awesome photos!  Can't wait to read what your impressions are once you get a chance to take a scoot!

I did try that again today......for about 30 damn minutes...cannot get them started without cross threading... >:(  It would take a stick of dynomite to get the radio to move...I gave up...for good.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Bagger

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2007, 08:03:05 AM »

Screamin' Eagle plate screwed back on...done!!!

The principle behind the powervents is to allow pressure to escape the crankcase while not allowing new air to enter on the downstroke, as the vents are one way valves...seems to work.  Will have to see if there are any gains in power...I do know that my motor needed more air, as it was proven to me by the tuner/mechanic at the small shop I had the tune done...he claims that the normal size filter is marginal in allowing enough air for our 103's to fully breathe, particularly when installing the TD RH's...

I'll let you know next week about how it feels, and whether I can tell any difference in HP/TQ...they claim 2 or 3 on each side with this system because of the venturi design and powervents, plus the filter being larger in surface area.
Great job, Terry.  Very detailed tutorial, and it answered alot of questions I had about this system.  Once you get a chance to ride and report, I'll make a decision.  Are you going back to Hanceville to get back on the dynomometer?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2007, 11:05:14 AM »

Great job, Terry.  Very detailed tutorial, and it answered alot of questions I had about this system.  Once you get a chance to ride and report, I'll make a decision.  Are you going back to Hanceville to get back on the dynomometer?

Henry, I'm going to see how it does...it's tuned to a setpoint of about 13/1 so it has a little room to be leaner.  I'll be able to tell pretty quickly by mpg and response on decel and steady throttle.

TTS Mastertune

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »

Great job Terry, I shouldn’t have any difficultly installing mine with that great job you did of explaining how.  Mine arrived with some damage to the Velocity Stack, a bolt left a couple of indentations right at the crown of it.  The folks at Doherty were very apologetic and said they would have a new one shipped right out.  No big deal as everything is covered in a layer of ice right now anyway.

Gregg

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »

I've been a huge fan of Doherty for years. Talked Beagle into his. BUT, I gotta bitch. I sent em an e-mail and followed it up with a phone call for some misc spare parts I needed and they couldn't have effed the order up more if they had done it intentionally. Kinda pisses me off when I think of all the free publicity Beags and I have given em. Still it's a great product, but I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come. Some great businesses fall apart when they grow too large too quick.

Just my $0.02

Big B

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »

Henry, I'm going to see how it does...it's tuned to a setpoint of about 13/1 so it has a little room to be leaner.  I'll be able to tell pretty quickly by mpg and response on decel and steady throttle.

TC,
        You're kidding ?  LD is set to 12/1 at full throttle and no leaner than 12.5/1 anywhere in the spectrum.  I gotta tell you LD runs extremely strong at any RPM and under any load or throttle condition. Did the tuner tell you why yours is set so lean ?

B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2007, 01:46:36 PM »

TC,
        You're kidding ?  LD is set to 12/1 at full throttle and no leaner than 12.5/1 anywhere in the spectrum.  I gotta tell you LD runs extremely strong at any RPM and under any load or throttle condition. Did the tuner tell you why yours is set so lean ?

B B

B B...most of the tuners I've talked to, and the research I've done, shoot for a cruise A/F of 13.4/1 and WOT of 12.8 to 13...that was also Jim's recomendation for the PCIII tune  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Considering they run 14.5 + from the factory, didn't think 13/1 was bad...I'm certainly no expert on this subject though.  Just go by what I read...

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2007, 02:04:48 PM »

B B...most of the tuners I've talked to, and the research I've done, shoot for a cruise A/F of 13.4/1 and WOT of 12.8 to 13...that was also Jim's recomendation for the PCIII tune  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Considering they run 14.5 + from the factory, didn't think 13/1 was bad...I'm certainly no expert on this subject though.  Just go by what I read...

Mine is at 13:1 across the board right now.  That's plenty rich.  In fact when I tinker with it a bit more before spring I'm going to take it to 13.5:1 (or thereabouts) in the 2700-3200 RPM range for highway cruising on the long days.  Leave it richer/cooler for twisting the throttle to pass/play and for idling on hot days.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 02:05:56 PM by twolanerider »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2007, 02:42:38 PM »

Mine is at 13:1 across the board right now.  That's plenty rich.  In fact when I tinker with it a bit more before spring I'm going to take it to 13.5:1 (or thereabouts) in the 2700-3200 RPM range for highway cruising on the long days.  Leave it richer/cooler for twisting the throttle to pass/play and for idling on hot days.

Well that may have been a break-in tune. LD's going back on the dyno when I get 2,500 miles on the mods. Talked to the tech that did the work yesterday, he's saying with a good break-in and the Doherty, he should be puttin up some good numbers. I'm happy now, so I guess at that point I'll be freakin ecstatic  :o

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2007, 12:48:06 PM »

Before you make up your mind on which air cleaner you want, checK the March 2007 issue of Hotrod's Bike Works www.hotrodsbikeworks.com page 14. S&S has a new air cleaner. It has two red or blue air filters on two tubes going into one tube at the intake. Comes in black or (OCD) chrome www.sscycle.com click on products then click on the 2007 book. Looks nice, but just like everyting else it comes with a price.  $365 for the filters and tubes+$375 for the adapter bracket, screws, bolts, gaskets etc per local HD stealer. Check it out and let me know what you think.  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:25:57 PM by hotlineguy »
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

Rhino

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2007, 06:50:17 PM »

So did I miss a post?  TC, how does it do?   I have the HiFlo, since the change to the RaceT, but this DM machining is nice. But I would wanna know if this will work on my 07SEUC, and IF you have seen any air velocity measured increases too.  I am running at 14.1 across the board, and doin ok, not to lean at all in my case.  But my mileage is not so wonderful if I get on it, whcih is all the time except once. I got 39mpg on my 110. No problem to re tune if required, but did you find any seat diff?  Now, be unbiased, even though you spent a good chunk o change for this item...be khonest.

Anyway, back to the issue. OCD....I like shiny things that do somethin!  Soooo? BTW nice report.

Rhino

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2007, 10:40:04 AM »

So did I miss a post?  TC, how does it do?   I have the HiFlo, since the change to the RaceT, but this DM machining is nice. But I would wanna know if this will work on my 07SEUC, and IF you have seen any air velocity measured increases too.  I am running at 14.1 across the board, and doin ok, not to lean at all in my case.  But my mileage is not so wonderful if I get on it, whcih is all the time except once. I got 39mpg on my 110. No problem to re tune if required, but did you find any seat diff?  Now, be unbiased, even though you spent a good chunk o change for this item...be khonest.

Anyway, back to the issue. OCD....I like shiny things that do somethin!  Soooo? BTW nice report.

Rhino

Finally got to take a ride Saturday with the new A/C, and will have to say that I can feel a difference in power...not a huge difference, but a difference.  After several conversations with Tim at Doherty, and looking at several dyno charts, plus my butt dyno, I'd say it's a couple of more HP/TQ than it was with the SE.  No popping on decel or running problems either, so I'm going to leave the tune alone.  It was running in the 12.8 to 13.2 range at WOT anyway, so it's got some room for more air.  The motor is breathing better, you can "feel" it.  The filter does stick out a bit further, but I've got the spacers on the floorboards, so that did not make a problem for me.  It really is a well made part, and Doherty's customer service is excellent...not every day that you can talk to the guy who owns the company get him to explain some things to you.

There is an excellent article in American Iron on the Doherty systems (mist free and PowerPace) that really explains how the systems work.  I'm not sure which issue it is, but it's the one about exhaust systems (yellow cover)..recent edition.

TTS Mastertune

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2007, 11:31:58 AM »

I've spoken to Tim many times and can tell you that he really does care about what people are saying about him and his products.  He spent big money to develope the PP and even more on the MistFree.  From what I'm told,  the MoCo is looking to buy the patent from him (MistFree) to put on all bikes in the future (will be made of pressed tin though),  but if it works the same.......what the hell.

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2007, 12:32:43 PM »

I've spoken to Tim many times and can tell you that he really does care about what people are saying about him and his products.  He spent big money to develope the PP and even more on the MistFree.  From what I'm told,  the MoCo is looking to buy the patent from him (MistFree) to put on all bikes in the future (will be made of pressed tin though),  but if it works the same.......what the hell.

_Beags

Yeah, Beags...you can tell when talking with him he is passionate about his products.  He told me that they are even doing some work for Rinehart, and had nothing but good things to say about them as well.  He's a straight up guy!!

The article in American Ironhorse is excellent...thorough explanation of all the products, from a third party, and some quotes from Tim as well. His Myst Free system is superior to stock in every way, and the PP does it's job too...I'm very impressed both with the company and the product.  The article also gives a very good overview of what causes some bikes to have problems and some not (with too much "mist").

TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2007, 10:28:47 AM »

I copied this from the A/C cover thread in the SEEG section so it can be shared easier with the group. Good News from Doherty!

Great news for all of you S&S Air Cleaner cover lover guys, like me!!! I just got off the phone with Doherty Machine. They will make a Delphi EFI Power Pacc with Power Vents for the '07 SE's. The kit is set up so the backplate accommodates an S&S Teardrop A/C Cover with no modifications!!! It uses the 3 screws that align with the standard S&S teardrop A/C cover from an S&S Super Carb! With a 10% discount and frt. to NYC, the total was $279.76. You need to supply your own S&S Teardrop Cover. I've been looking for a good way to do this. Doherty has the solution! ;) Hoist! 8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 25 queries.