Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do I need a tuner?  (Read 2845 times)

TGIRetired

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Street Glide, Black Stardust Fade
Do I need a tuner?
« on: December 11, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »

I’ve got a 2020 CVO Street Glide...I just swapped out the mufflers for 4.5 in Rhineharts.  I occasionally get a few exhaust pops when I back off the throttle quickly.   Should I install a tuner!

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
Re: Do I need a tuner?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 10:07:11 PM »

Your bike comes with a stage 1 download from the factory. Slip ons will not require an ecm flash.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

TGIRetired

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Street Glide, Black Stardust Fade
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 10:55:50 PM »

Thanks!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 11:16:16 PM »

Yes, in my opinion you should put a full featured (not the SEST) flash tuner (TTS or Power Vision) on the bike and have it tuned by a competent tuner. These bikes run very lean from the factory and free flowing exhaust modifications will make them leaner. The system can make small adjustments in the closed loop operating areas only.

The bike will run better, cooler, and have better throttle response in all areas with a proper tune.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 06:25:03 AM »

I’ve got a 2020 CVO Street Glide...I just swapped out the mufflers for 4.5 in Rhineharts.  I occasionally get a few exhaust pops when I back off the throttle quickly.   Should I install a tuner!
If all you did was mufflers then I would leave it alone unless you don't care about warranty?   REMEMBER the EPA ruling requires Harley to void the warranty on 2017 and newer bikes if they detect that the owner reflashed the PCM with a Non EPA tune!
Yes they are calibrated lean from the factory, yes it would run better and cooler with a good tune, but you should still be fine with only mufflers on the OE tune.  If later you replace the headpipe and do away with the Cat then you will need a tune.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 08:06:03 AM »

I agree with Phreakyz.

The slips ons will not change much except the exhaust note. Since you just dropped over 40k on a new bike, I can only assume you want to keep a warranty on the bike to protect your investment. Most, but not all, tuners will leave a footprint on your bikes computer, and as soon as the dealer plugs your bike into their computer, it will be detected, your bike will be flagged and your powertrain warranty voided. If your bike is flagged during the initial 2 year manufacturers warranty, it will void the powertrain coverage of any extended warranty you purchased with the bike.

While the Harley tuners do not offer the best performance for your bike compared to aftermarket units, they WILL NOT cause your warranty to be voided. After the 2 year factory warranty is out, you can pretty much do what you want.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »

As stated above, your bike will be fine without a tune with just slipons..  Of course it would run cooler and better with a tune, these and every bike run lean from the factories to pass BS epa emissions, only getting worse going forward....

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 01:23:46 AM »

If all you did was mufflers then I would leave it alone unless you don't care about warranty?   REMEMBER the EPA ruling requires Harley to void the warranty on 2017 and newer bikes if they detect that the owner reflashed the PCM with a Non EPA tune!
Yes they are calibrated lean from the factory, yes it would run better and cooler with a good tune, but you should still be fine with only mufflers on the OE tune.  If later you replace the headpipe and do away with the Cat then you will need a tune.

bull.......!!!!!
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 01:25:37 AM »

As stated above, your bike will be fine without a tune with just slipons..  Of course it would run cooler and better with a tune, these and every bike run lean from the factories to pass BS epa emissions, only getting worse going forward....

Harley's are NOT lean from the factory, there is NO such thing as a EPA MAP
Doc's Performance Tuning

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 08:33:08 AM »

bull.......!!!!!

Harley's are NOT lean from the factory, there is NO such thing as a EPA MAP

Gee Whiz Doc?   Are you arguing semantics?   I think that "EPA Compliant" was the understood intent?  Or are you just intending to say that no Vendor currently has a canned tuned that has been CARB certified?
Please elaborate??

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 06:15:15 PM »

Gee Whiz Doc?   Are you arguing semantics?   I think that "EPA Compliant" was the understood intent?  Or are you just intending to say that no Vendor currently has a canned tuned that has been CARB certified?
Please elaborate??

I must admit I get so tired of hearing that Harley dealers have to tune your bike with an EPA map, and the other statement that the factory sets up the bike lean. These myths remind me when I was a kid when we were told by the street racers that they have a 3/4 race cam or a full race cam.....what the heck is a 3/4 race cam? I don't believe anyone can answer that and the same goes with this crap that Harleys are lean from the factory. On the contrary, the M8's are running at 12.5 or richer at 80 to 100 kPa.....this is anything but lean. Twin cam touring bikes are also very rich in the upper kPa areas so I tell you now that the myth of lean maps is nothing but a myth. Even at cruise in a no load area the map are still below (richer) than Stoichometric.   
Harley passes the EPA standards by choking off the intake and choking off the exhaust......less air means less emissions, less emissions makes the EPA very happy. As soon as you guys open the intake and exhaust you are now a EPA violation. Harley's tuner is approved by the EPA but that doesn't mean, or that is not to say, it is a EPA map which is understood my many to be a lean condition. Look, many cam manufactures have their cams EPA approved, this doesn't mean that cam won't produce any power because its set up to burn lean, it's EPA approved so it can be sold in states like Calif.
In closing I have to say I never seen a lean map from Harley, of TTS, or any other tuner out there......you have to ask your self would Harley install lean AFR's in there bikes that would damage the motor? I think not......so EPA maps, Harley dealers have to set the AFR's lean because of the EPA is just not true.
This is just one mans opinion
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.