Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Is Image Everything?  (Read 5368 times)

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
Is Image Everything?
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »

Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Is Image Everything?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:20:01 AM »

As most of us know this not to be fact........BUT..........most people think if it walks like a duck, etc
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:02:21 AM »

As some of you might already know I am very active on Flickr and most if not all of what I post there involves bikes and bikers. A few weeks ago another Flickr member, who mostly concentrates his art around classic cars, reached out to me to ask about a couple of things I had done with Photoshop. I emailed him my cell and asked him to give me a call any time to discuss the methods I use on my pics. He called me and we discussed in some detail some of the tricks I use and I learned about how he pulls off the amazing auto art he creates.
Towards the end of our conversation he told me he was very apprehensive about calling me because based on my posts I'm the 'biker type' and he had never dealt with bikers before. So he was pleasantly surprised that I in fact was a normal guy like everyone else. Now this is a gentleman in his 60's and a Vietnam vet. It dawned on me that because we dress up the way we do and we ride bikes, there is little to differentiate us from the outlaw gangs.

:soapbox:

Is that a bad thing? Can you judge a book by its cover? We all do it from time to time. So no surprise there as far as the cancellation of the American Heat rally. Remember Waco? No one (not even us on this forum) said anything about innocent until proven guilty. Outlaw? Motorcycle gangs? They look guilty. All 200+ of them, including their wives who rode with them to a biker bar. Hang'em high.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »

Have you ever wondered Cam why so many Harley riders go out of their way to dress and look like the outlaws?  I think many regular folks kind of like having people think they are a bit dangerous.  I find it especially funny when straitlaced bankers, doctors, and lawyers get all dressed down and go to Sturgis to play "biker".  So maybe many riders help bring this stereotyping on themselves.  I read comments occasionally with folks badmouthing Beemer riders and how they dress (full face helmets, full riding suits, etc.) and I'm usually tempted to mention that at least they don't get lumped in with the outlaws like most Harley riders do.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »

Been to Palm Springs, CA. did the tram up for lunch, it's a fairly snooty town, more suited for a Mercedes Rally than motorcycles.  This is an excuse to drop or change the event in their "image" and isn't surprising.

As far as OUR "image" is concerned it isn't our fault when we ride in on a HD wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a vest that the (uninformed) public thinks we are "bikers" instead of "motorcycle enthusiasts".  We are the 99%er's, and yeah there is an image that we project, and some may "enhance" it, but most of us obey the rules and merely enjoy the sport.  Do chic's dig the "bad boys"? Maybe a little.  Do the girls like dressing a little "naughty" now and then, probably.  But it doesn't make us "posers or wanna-be's" just people enjoying a common interest.  I suppose it would make Aunt Edna more comfortable if you rolled up next to her at a stop light sitting on your chopper wearing a clown suit, and when she looked over you honked your big red nose. But that isn't the real world; the same guy, on the same bike, wearing chaps and a Harley shirt are perceived differently by them, not by us. 

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 02:47:59 AM »

There are a lot of people who don't have any contact with any bikers.  They don't even know the term "one-percenter" or HOG and can't tell who is or isn't one.  They don't think about road rash and helmet head.  For them, it's safer to assume all of us in do-rags and leathers are dangerous, so they just stay away.

As far as Palm Springs, they probably have a group of ultra-liberals on the city council who have never knowingly talked to a biker.  They may think the "bad blood" in Waco will spill-over since it's still fresh, but will chill by next year.

Every incident like Waco or Reno, or HA at a concert, just reinforces that danger perception for those who don't know us.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »

Have you ever wondered Cam why so many Harley riders go out of their way to dress and look like the outlaws?  I think many regular folks kind of like having people think they are a bit dangerous.  I find it especially funny when straitlaced bankers, doctors, and lawyers get all dressed down and go to Sturgis to play "biker".  So maybe many riders help bring this stereotyping on themselves.  I read comments occasionally with folks badmouthing Beemer riders and how they dress (full face helmets, full riding suits, etc.) and I'm usually tempted to mention that at least they don't get lumped in with the outlaws like most Harley riders do.

JMHO - Jerry
For me personally just about everything I wear when I ride would work just as well on a BMW (though I am not a big fan of the motorcycle). Schuberth full face helmet, Klim jacket, Daytona boots, Held gloves etc. I really don't care who makes it or what the emblems say, I just care about the comfort and crash protection. With that being said, my mc is loud (obnoxiously so or so everyone tells me) and I still see people react kinda weird when I pull up next to them including people I work with that often tell me " you don't seem like the biker type".
I think people that don't enjoy our sport or hobby or passion or whatever you call it just have these pre conceived images in their head that just isn't even close to being accurate. I would also say that most of us here just really couldn't care less what they think
Alan

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »

Yeah it's there, ride almost every Sunday to church when the weather is right. And its fun to watch. But trying to witness to everyone I can.

BigLew

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »

Well I have to add Palm Springs to the list of places that will never see any of my money. If they don't want your type then boycott them. Withdrawing sponsorship based on people type or hobby  is very discriminatory.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 08:09:38 AM »

Most HD riders dress like pirates. Just the eye patch missing.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 10:03:44 AM »

For me personally just about everything I wear when I ride would work just as well on a BMW (though I am not a big fan of the motorcycle). Schuberth full face helmet, Klim jacket, Daytona boots, Held gloves etc. I really don't care who makes it or what the emblems say, I just care about the comfort and crash protection. With that being said, my mc is loud (obnoxiously so or so everyone tells me) and I still see people react kinda weird when I pull up next to them including people I work with that often tell me " you don't seem like the biker type".
I think people that don't enjoy our sport or hobby or passion or whatever you call it just have these pre conceived images in their head that just isn't even close to being accurate. I would also say that most of us here just really couldn't care less what they think

I could have written this about myself, good job.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »

Most HD riders dress like pirates. Just the eye patch missing.

:soapbox:

Guilty as charged! Me and my best bud Jimmy(2k) - MV GTG -2015. Photo by another brother from this site Kirk (kiro).

Anyhow, what's wrong with looking like a pirate?  :nixweiss: (Me and me below). I was in New York on business when the picture on the right was taken and no one gave me a second look while Madoff was being hauled off to jail. Yet I'm presumed to be a criminal because of what I'm comfortable with when riding my bike. Oh, the double standard!!!

If you prefer to wear whatever you like when riding, it should be your choice. You are still who you really are, in my case an IT geek. But I for one will not change my attire. I prefer to change the perceptions, which is why I put together the composite above. I was told by some of my contacts on Flickr that they had concerns about interacting with me before we met in person because I just plain look scary in my pics (predominantly bike related photos). Now that they got to know the real person, I assure you their reaction to seeing someone else with my warped sense of proper riding gear is a lot more favorable. One person at a time.

Getting off my soapbox.

Cam

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 10:37:38 AM »

But no eye patch  :nixweiss:

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 11:25:28 AM »

But no eye patch  :nixweiss:

Here you go!  :coolblue:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »

Image?  We don't need no stinkin image  :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »

Image?  We don't need no stinkin image  :P

IDK JC. Anyone riding that chopper is a bada$$ regardless of what he is wearing. Great shot and a sweet ride. I bet it was/is easy to maneuver.  Would love to give it a try riding the dragon! :nervous:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »

I don't remember exactly when that pic was taken but seeing the big bell bottom pants and checkered flannel shirt I'd say it was early to mid 70s.

People used to ask me "how do you turn it around?".  You don't.....you just go around the block. :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 01:30:50 PM »

In 2009 I bought my first Harley and I wanted to look like I belonged so went full Harley biker look. I am over the dress up day at school thing and dress for comfort and function, both defined by me.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.