Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beware: The next bargain spark plugs you buy online might be fakes  (Read 1094 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.

Beware: The next bargain spark plugs you buy online might be fakes

This is disconcerting. Australian report claims up to 60 percent of plugs purchased online are counterfeit.   >:(

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Beware: The next bargain spark plugs you buy online might be fakes
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 02:37:17 PM »

Ebay has lots of fake stuff & appears Amazon does not verify vendors adequately.

Have not had a thread about "the best spark plug" in quite a while (unless I missed it.)  Suppose we could have a thread about the best fake spark plugs?  :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 10:11:39 PM »

That is a problem with online buying you take your chances.

In the case of the plugs you really don't know if what you got is fake or not unless you have the same to compare it with.

I buy my brake pads online,...am I getting fakes? Don't know don't have anything to compare with. I take pics of installing new pads so if the pads eat the rotors I have some documentation,......not that it would probably do me any good but it gives me some peace of mind.

What one could do to try to cover yourself when  buying online check that the seller is selling the item from within the country so if the items are not up to par it reduces the hassle of returning the item. Even so mostly the items are from China or Japan anway even  a lot of items from HD it says Genuine Harley Davidson packaged in USA made in China "that includes spark plugs" which I've  had straight from the Dealership.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 10:15:02 PM »

Considering iridiums should easily go 50k+ and you only need two of them (for twin cams anyway) there's really no reason to take chances here.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 06:08:08 AM »

Would have never even thought about buying plugs online. They're cheap enough at your local parts store.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »

I'm sure there's someone out there selling low quality motor oil as a high quality synthetic.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 08:51:06 AM »

Feel bad for anybody that has to price shop for plugs... I just buy a pair every spring at the tshirt shop, one stop for all my needs  🤪
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »

I'm sure there's someone out there selling low quality motor oil as a high quality synthetic.

And there is somebody out there saying that fake synthetic oil they bought is the best oil they have ever used, compared to the other oils.   ;)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 11:44:11 AM »

I hope most people by now are aware that many items being sold online these days are counterfeit.  There is a very large country that specializes in stealing intellectual property and hardware designs, and just loves to create and sell counterfeit products.  Even our military has been duped into buying counterfeit parts for things like aircraft.

The old advice Buyer Beware has never been more apropos.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:54:45 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 24 queries.