Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favre "RETIRES" could it be true?  (Read 1521 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Favre "RETIRES" could it be true?
« on: March 04, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7870944?MSNHPHMA  partial reprint below

Favre has decided to call it a career

by Jay Glazer

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Favre "RETIRES" could it be true?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:27:44 AM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7870944?MSNHPHMA  partial reprint below

Favre has decided to call it a career

by Jay Glazer

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

On one hand, if this is true and he does retire - it will be sad - because he is one tough, talented quarterback.  I have never seen anyone throw a football as hard as he does for as many years as he has.  It is amazing to watch him play the game and it will be the end of an era in Green Bay.

But, on the other hand, it wil be nice for him to retire after such a successful season.  For him to go out on top and not hang on longer then he should is a good thing.  To many athletes stay longer then their bodies can stand.  Not only do they hurt their teams, but they hurt themselves. 

Brett Farve was one of those inspirational players...it is unreal that he lasted all those years without missing a start and staying injury free....  I was lucky to have a friend with Green Bay season tickets, as it made it possible for me to see Brett play a few times each year... :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »

What an honorable and admirable player.  He once said of his wife, "I outpunted my coverage on that one".
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »

We'll have to wait until it's official.  He said he'd retire before and came back so it may not be so.

But, he has nothing to prove.  Last season was icing on the cake of a great career, we'll just have to see if he has one last shot to get back to the big game.

My money is on retirement while he's still healthy.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »

We'll have to wait until it's official.  He said he'd retire before and came back so it may not be so.

But, he has nothing to prove.  Last season was icing on the cake of a great career, we'll just have to see if he has one last shot to get back to the big game.

My money is on retirement while he's still healthy.

As much as I enjoy watching him play, I also would like to see him retire healthy...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:01:58 AM »

Just posted on the Packers website:  packers.com

Statement From Packers General Manager Ted Thompson:

posted 03/04/2008

Brett Favre has informed us of his intention to retire from the Green Bay Packers and the NFL. He has had one of the greatest careers in the history of the National Football League, and he is able to walk away from the game on his own terms - not many players are able to do that.

The Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude. He has given Packers fans 16 years of wonderful memories, a Super Bowl championship among them, that will live on forever. Brett's many accomplishments on the field are legendary. He leaves the game holding virtually every career passing record, plus his consecutive starts streak, which may never be duplicated.

The uniqueness of Brett Favre - his personality, charisma and love of the game - undoubtedly will leave him as one of the enduring figures in NFL history.

The end of an era for Green Bay...but as a die-hard Vikings fan, I'm sure there are cheers reverberating thoughout the North Star State as he was the biggest nemesis of the Vikings.   Congrats on your decision Brett, you will be missed.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:27:45 PM »

The Packers 2nd string high dollar first round draft choice just got a career boost.  I loved watch Favre play.  Even on his bad days when he forced things you just never knew what might happen next.

After this past great season I was hoping he'd hang his spurs and call it a career.  Go on with the head and credentials at full staff.  With what's in the wings behind him, all that youth all over the team, the Packers have a strong next few years ahead of them.  He can feel good about shepherding the kids to this point too.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:34:49 PM »

You have to love watching a man doing what he loves to do and being damn good at it. He is the last of a breed that put the game first. Slapping the back of a defensive lineman that just smashed him. Smiling while playing. Who else tells a fellow player they're wrong to hold out during contract time. He will be missed. I think Chicago could use a good QB for a year!

JW

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 07:35:16 PM »

The Packers 2nd string high dollar first round draft choice just got a career boost.   I loved watch Favre play.  Even on his bad days when he forced things you just never knew what might happen next.

After this past great season I was hoping he'd hang his spurs and call it a career.  Go on with the head and credentials at full staff.  With what's in the wings behind him, all that youth all over the team, the Packers have a strong next few years ahead of them.  He can feel good about shepherding the kids to this point too.

Couple of things on that. Rogers went like 26th in the first round. Nowhere near his original projected place. Sat on the bench and dealt with Favre not wanting to help him or even wanting him there and did so quietly without complaint until Favre came around and started tutoring him. Much as we all love watching Favre play, he could not go on forever. Another season ? Most assuredly so, but then what ? I have to wonder where Rogers was headed if Favre played another year. I could be wrong but I think Roger's contract was up this year (how many backup QB's get more than a 3 year deal their rookie season ?)  With the dearth of available QB's, the teams looking for anyone to be a savior and the great showing Rogers had in relief when Favre went out in the Dallas game (big game / lots of pressure / great peformance)  His stock in trade was high. Green Bay needed to keep him. Sorry as hell to see #4 leave the game, but glad not to see him become Alli fighting Holmes etc. And also glad to see Rogers get his shot. He was at CAL when my oldest was there so I watched him play for those years. He's not a gunslinger like #4 (you will hear the words cerebral used to describe his play, bet on it) but he's saavy, got a good arm and an eye for defenses. I think the Pack will have a good year and future with him.

B B

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:16 AM »

I'd LOVE to be a backup quarterback to someone like Favre.  Todd Collins was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1996 to succeed Jim Kelly.  He was traided shortly after.  He signed a 3 year contract last week with someone for $3M per year.  He has 22 career TD passes in 12 seasons.  He'll walk (key word, "Walk") away from football a multimillionaire with no permanent injuries.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 12:28:55 PM »

What a great story on the last pass thrown by Favre...the interception.

The Giants gave the ball to a wounded vet who has been an inspirational figure on the sideline all year.  As the story indicates, the value of that ball just increased.

/Bill

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/sports/football/05webster.html?_r=1&ex=1362373200&en=942689791138ee1c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 22 queries.