Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin 2730  (Read 3141 times)

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
Garmin 2730
« on: January 05, 2006, 01:15:45 AM »

Does anyone have any views/info/experience on Garmins' new 2730? I was considering upgrading to the '06 radio to get XM, but this may be a simpler & cheaper route to go. I don't need or want XM (or GPS) in any other vehicle, so it'd be on the bike permanently. I'm currently running w/ the 276C & really love the sound feature especially in unfamiliar big cities, the 2730 is cool in that regard as it will announce upcoming POI's. I hard wired the 276 into the radio, but it still only works in AUX, the 2730 broadcasts wirelessly to your FM. Al-in-all it sounds like it should fit the bill pretty nicely.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Garmin 2730
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 02:55:08 AM »

Does anyone have any views/info/experience on Garmins' new 2730?

Bungy, since the 2730s are only just now even beginning to hit the streets it's unlikely there's a lot of hands on experience to be had yet.  Since the 2720s are comparable units minus the XM and monitoring functions, however, perhaps some discussion of that one will help at least a bit.  Check out this thread for 103Thunder's very thorough review of the 2720:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1135830144/0

One thought though.  Really not sure here so just thinking out loud.  Will the FM modulator built in to the 2730s really be that much more helpful?  What I'm wondering is will it really be any less hassle to switch from CD or whatever other mode you're in to FM and then find the right channel then it would be to switch to AUX?  Guess if the XM retransmission over FM is what's already going on most of the time the tracking info would just override though.  Ok, that would save a guy a few thumb flips....

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 08:43:59 AM »

Per the Garmin website the 2730 will be released sometime min-January.  They are poping up on ebay in the $900 range with mid to end of January delivery.  If I didn't have so much already invested in my Street Pilot 3 I would buy the new one.  If you need some consumer reviews I would wait 30-60 days.   I ran an FM modular in my car for xm and it was accceptable, not great.   XM is terrific assuming your speakers are good enough to enjoy it at speed.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 10:45:27 AM »

I'm waiting on a 2730.  They keep moving the delivery date back.  Originally, it was supposed to be late Dec. then it went to early Jan. and now it's mid-late Jan. (depending on which web site you're looking at).  Most of the sites are taking pre-orders.  I think $907 with no tax and no shipping and handling was the cheapest that I found so far.  I do a search every couple of weeks cause that's what I'm going with, the 2730. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 10:46:28 PM »

...One thought though.  Really not sure here so just thinking out loud.  Will the FM modulator built in to the 2730s really be that much more helpful?  What I'm wondering is will it really be any less hassle to switch from CD or whatever other mode you're in to FM and then find the right channel then it would be to switch to AUX?  Guess if the XM retransmission over FM is what's already going on most of the time the tracking info would just override though.  Ok, that would save a guy a few thumb flips....

I think it may get down to preference.  I will pretty much use mine when ever I go out.  For the most part I will keep my primary radio station tuned to the FM transmission station and listen to XM.  That way, I don't have to mess with another cord.

I have a GPS on my PDA and it sucks, but there have been many times I wish I had it.  The traffic thing will help even more.

I ordered mine on 11/30 from GPSCity.com, and the ship date also went from 12/20, to 1/6, to 1/20.

Just about all the info you could want is in 103Thunder's thread (link is above in TwoLane's post),

and Garmin's website:
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2730

and GPSCity's website:
http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-streetpilot-2730-gps-system-with-xm-radio/sp2730.htm

I'll post some info once I have had a chance to play with it.
84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 24 queries.