Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Cause of misfire/elect.failure/???  (Read 43190 times)

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
Re: Cause of misfire/elect.failure/???
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »

Gotcha Axel, All the electronics will be checked tomorrow morning. I just hope we find the cause/ electrical fault. JOY IS COMMING HOME SOON. SHE HAS TO MEET HER BROTHER. I DONT WANT HER TO SEE A SICK BRO AND SHE'S READY TO GO!!!!

Best, George

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2008, 09:51:21 PM »

Yeah, seems like it's not getting enough "fire in the hole."  Sounds like it lasts for just a short time, then once the battery/charging system fails, that's it. :nixweiss:  Also, we now know the previous owner was trying to diagnose this as well, given his hand-written notes in the service manual.  I would go down the road of checking all things electrical, first, before the fuel system, based on what's been written so far.

My first bike was an 10 year-old 1980 Yamaha 400 Special.  When I got it, it had a gummed-up fuel system from sitting too long but it still ran if you messed with the choke and throttle enough.  It's hard for me to imagine that the fuel system is so clogged as to keep any fuel at all from entering the carb.  I guess it's possible, but from the decription about how the lights are behaving, it seems more like an electrical gremlin, at least to me. :nixweiss:

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2008, 10:01:39 PM »

I think so too Brian. But I couldn't get the gas to flow from the tank to the carb. I know you have to release the vacuum  thing but I don't know how to do it. That will be checked tomorrow too. I just hope my bud is not too busy to do all this. Usually I do the work under his supervision. Although I saw some tape/paint on the fuel screen and when I wiped the inside the tank and possibly loosened the paint liner, I didn't see anymore after I removed the petcock the 2nd time. I think it's more an electrical problem. Say a prayer for me tonight OK. I need all the Help I could get. TY Brian

Best, G.

RedFXR2

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »

It's hard for me to imagine that the fuel system is so clogged as to keep any fuel at all from entering the carb.  I guess it's possible, but from the decription about how the lights are behaving, it seems more like an electrical gremlin, at least to me. :nixweiss:

This is exactly what I ws thinking as I sat on the shoulder of the road after mine spit and sputtered for about ten miles.  Completely 100% convinced I had an electrical problem.  But nope.

RedFXR2

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2008, 10:53:52 PM »

But I couldn't get the gas to flow from the tank to the carb. I know you have to release the vacuum  thing but I don't know how to do it.

It is true that with the engine off, fuel will not flow from the petcock to the carb.  Unless the vacuum actuated diaphragm is leaking.  The fact that it won't flow when the motor's not running is a good thing.  Means the diaphragm isn't leaking.  You can pull it open with a mityvac, but it's really easy to take the thing apart and clean it as necessary.  Less fiddly than a mityvac. and then you'll know if it needed cleaning or not.

Although I saw some tape/paint on the fuel screen and when I wiped the inside the tank and possibly loosened the paint liner, I didn't see anymore after I removed the petcock the 2nd time.

Exactly what is this "tape" you found?  teflon tape scraps, maybe?  The instructions for a  petcock  specifically tell you not to use any thread sealant on the tank threads.  Could be some of that tape is in the petcock.  It's good that you're not seeing any more peeling liner.  Like I said, I'd leave that alone and just watch to see if you're getting any rust in the tank before I tried to re-line it.

Man, I wish I was up there to mess with this thing.  Good luck and keep us informed.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2008, 11:05:58 PM »

Mike I think it could be the gas too. Today I had it ideling with the choke out and all of a sudden it sounded like it was starting to lean out . So I moved the petcock to the reserve position and it seemed to run like before it was leaning out. That made me think there is also a gas problem.  I hope we could do all this stuff tomorrow. If my bud is not busy, I'm sure we could. Thanks for all your advise Mike, I really appriciate it.

Best, George

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »

Well after three weeks of agony the problem has been resolved and we are now waiting for "JOY" to arrive. Today I brought the bike to me friends garage and as I mentioned previously, he is a great mechanic(besides being a former Marine). He placed a scope and checked all the electronics. We also cleaned the carb, cleaned the jets where we found somemore tank lining, remover the bottom of the carb where the float is and cleaned everything. the electronic problem was the regulator, plain and simple. I didn't get the chrome replacement for ten dollars more because I would have had to wait a week before it came in to HD. But I now have a good running bike. I feel good.The chrome regulator costs $110.00. I asked HD what the cost of a new tank would be. So he looks it up and said it's $1,330.00 and it's obsolete. So when the season is over, The tank will be removed and he has a different method of removing the inside liner, then we will do the Kreem regiment to recoat the tank. He had his tank done using a commercial type lining but the person who did it is now out of business and he don't remember the product used. But he will try to find out the information and we have time before we do it so...... If anyone knows something better than Kreem please advise me. My bud said Kreem is pretty good but there are better products  like that that was used on his tank.  So "Thank You " for all the advise and I'm real happy that the bike is running real good. You Guys are the Best!!!

Best to all of you,

George :apple:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »

Glad to hear you finally got it resolved. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2008, 08:54:59 PM »

LOL!  GD, what did I say from the beginning: regulator! :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »

Stator or voltage regulator?? :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Lets see,
A member ask a question as to what caused a problem on his bike.
dOOd answers with reply #1.
Member responds after discovering the cause of the problem.
the electronic problem was the regulator, plain and simple.
Score a big one for the dOOdmeister!

SBB

Note to self,
Consult with dOOd next time before paying $75 an hour for diagnostics.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:05:00 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2008, 09:03:30 PM »

The other day I changer the engine oil, trans oil, air filter and spark plugs. Since then(and it may have nothing to do with the changes) I have had an intermitting problem. What happens is while riding, all of a sudden the bike cuts out. It's like your turning the key off and on. It also could be described like your running on one cylinder. BUT, just last night as it was getting dark I saw the instrument lights dimming and getting bright , back and forth. Also as the engine was puttering, I saw the tach jumping say from 2K to 5K to 3K back and forth. My Bud Hoist said to start new with a new battery as the one I have is probably 2-3 yrs. old-One possibility. My other bud, 103thunder(Brian) said maybe its the regulator. Thats a second possibility. My other buddy, who's an auto mechanic and has his own shop says it sounds like it could be the Primary Ignition Pick Up. He thinks it could be that but not absolutely sure. But because the tach jumps high and low without the engine reving any higher, it could be that. He also had another reason that I don't remember, lol--duh. I brought the bike to a shop to  have the tire replaced and they checked all the wire connections and found nothing wrong. It seems to happen after riding for awhile. The repair guy said I should bring the bike back ane he'll ride if for 20 25 miles and see if it happens to him. I'm set to try the primary ign. p/u but would hate to spend $170.00 @HD if it's not the problem. Hoist, Maybe Jim in CA could give advise?? Does anyone else have any Ideas???         
Thanks in Advance, George :nixweiss:

:huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:  What do I win, George?!?!? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: ;D

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »

Lets see,
Member responds after discovering the cause of the problem.Score a big one for the dOOdmeister!

SBB

Note to self,

Lucky guess. :nixweiss: I'll be the first to admit wrenching isn't my game. Much better figuring out 'puter stuff.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »

Lets see,
Member responds after discovering the cause of the problem.Score a big one for the dOOdmeister!

SBB

Note to self,

Exsqeeze me?!?!  The answer was in the original post?!?! :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2008, 09:06:37 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:  What do I win, George?!?!? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: ;D

You still got your butt in one piece isn't that enough? ;) ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2008, 09:10:44 PM »

Exsqeeze me?!?!  The answer was in the original post?!?! :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Well chit, your right!
          :oops:

New note to self,
Ask Brian first and send him $75.
If he's not sure, call dOOd and get advice from him.
Try to negotiate lower rate of $65 since I done spent $75 on Brian.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 25 queries.