Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MoCo ReMan isn't what is promised!  (Read 3890 times)

PanaTonyAC

MoCo ReMan isn't what is promised!
« on: August 25, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »

Hello All,
I am new here and have never posted…
I have spent the last 36 hours here and Damn awesome board!

I have had my go a round’s with my 88 FXRS and at this point she is close to new… A story for another time...
The latest was the transmission shaft seal went and I needed the tranny rebuilt…. At this point I said fuc* it and took the weekend to think about my options and do some more research, as I am sick of the bike being in the shop… I called MoCo and they told me that their ReMan program was now being down by S&S and yes I would get the latest greatest upgraded 99 Evo Motor in return..
So I had a lengthy talk with my wrench about any pros and cons including my oil filter mount (bottom) and the bottom breather system and that of having an updated motor on my 88 and thought, no more one at a time fixes… With the tranny needing to come out and the Inner and Outer Primaries already off I made my decision and it was based around combing labor so I had the Motor pulled and sent to MoCo for the ReMan. Also decided on a new clutch as I have the intention of not going into my bike again for many years and 100,000 miles just liked I remember all new Evo owners looking forward to.

So off it went and I started the wait… Not sure how long it took it was 4+ weeks for it to arrive back at Glendale HD and because of my wrench choice I waited another 3 and half weeks to get the call…. And here is where it starts…..

Tom Castro the service manager left me a message last Thursday saying that I needed to come down and inspect my motor, which is a very accurate choice of words… So I hopped into my Girl’s Sexy Red Z and with her we headed on down to the dealership. When I walked through the door of service I see Tom get that look I know from back in the days when I was dealing with the insurance company on the rebuild from the accident in 09. I soon find out that “MY” motor is just that my 88 bottom breathing original cases (as in MY original cases) motor right down to having an oil pump that was first put into service by the MoCo in 1972. I went through the roof as Tom knew I was going to as we all expected it to be a “99” Evo. So onto the Phone I went to talk (Rant and Rave) to the MoCo over what the fuc* had happened.
I have done a great deal more research this weekend as I will be back on the phone with MoCo bright and early Monday morning as they are saying that I got what I should have expected based on their website.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Engines/remanufacturing.html

The Key Words they are using is this gem, “4. Reassembly, All components are meticulously reassembled and upgraded to meet the latest specifications while retaining its stock configuration.”

I think this is bullshi* as the only positive I can see with this ReMan is it does retain the Original configuration of my FXRS however I have changed so many things on this bike that it will never be a Stock original motorcycle like it came from the factory which is why I was ok with it being an upgraded 99 Evo going back on the bike.

So here is were I am at,
I want from MoCo a complete parts list so I know what parts are in my motor.
Over the years the design of the Evo was changed and we all know those problems i.e.: cases, oil pumps, breathing system, relocation of the oil filter etc.

So I am throwing this out here so I can hear what all of your thoughts are on this predicament I am in.

Do I buy an torque arm (  http://www.carlinidesign.com/Harley-Parts-Accessories/Torque-Arms/FXR-Torque-Arm.html ) As to make sure that my very rare inner primary (that is impossible to find, I have the 87 early 88) and  cases (even though I know the real issue with Evo cases started in 89 and ran through 94) never twist or crack as my bike isn’t going to be stock for a minute.

And an oil cooler (http://www.jagg.com/1100.html ) to ensure more oil  more wind across what would have been my oil filter (http://www.jagg.com/oilfilters.html) up front    and a better line routing system than the factory only 88 lines.

And install this motor on my bike or do I beat the shi* out of the MoCo until they give me a 99 Evo with matching numbered modern cases.
With the 88 I am back on the road very soon.
With the 99 it will be 4+ more weeks to go back to MoCo and then wait on my wrench to be free again to do the install.

So Guys and Gals don’t hold back, tell me how you really feel!

Tony

Two Notes:
This item that I don’t own would put my mind at ease over the oil pump 
( http://ertproducts.com/PRO-JUST.html )

And for all the FXR folks this thread is an awesome read, I have never seen a more documented history of our beloved FXR’s
( http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25417.0 )

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: MoCo ReMan isn't what is promised!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »

From all the experiences I've watched riders utilizing the reman program and from their published descriptions you received exactly what I would have expected.  They don't replace cases unless original cases are bad (for example). 

They fix what is bad and that's it.  They return to as close to original new stock form for a given year as they can.  So, for example, if you do as a buddy of mine did and send in an engine with significant cam chest and other upgrades it comes back to you with stock cam chest parts.

Unfortunately you received what experience suggests and their literature describes.  You might explode their way all day for several days.  I doubt you'll get a darn thing.  Sorry man.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »

From all the experiences I've watched riders utilizing the reman program and from their published descriptions you received exactly what I would have expected.  They don't replace cases unless original cases are bad (for example). 

They fix what is bad and that's it.  They return to as close to original new stock form for a given year as they can.  So, for example, if you do as a buddy of mine did and send in an engine with significant cam chest and other upgrades it comes back to you with stock cam chest parts.

Unfortunately you received what experience suggests and their literature describes.  You might explode their way all day for several days.  I doubt you'll get a darn thing.  Sorry man.
Exactly what they did when I got my EVO re-manned.  They do, however, add all the 'upgrades' to your motor, but any changes you've made are removed and put back to stock configuration.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

PanaTonyAC

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »

Ok,
So what exactly are those upgrades fuc*ing powder coating?
What was changed if anything in the internals?
Crank
Flywheels
Latest and Greatest upgrades implies to me a 99. If my motor cases where destroyed then it would have been a 95 till end of production set of cases..
Time will tell, I will see where I get with them.... The dealership has my back on this! What I am really looking for is what you all think about the motor itself not so much with what MoCo is going to do. Do folks think that the early 88 set up is as good as the 99? Looking for Pros and Cons from all you folks, like what you might do if this was your situation.

T~

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 06:19:17 PM »

ide rather have the early lower end,the pinion shaft on the `92 up cranks are a BIG weak link & there no steel insert on the Timken side (another weak link)

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:03:56 PM »

Lost the crank bearing @ 30,000mi on my '99 EVO, so they may not be as bullet proof as you may think. Doesn't a reman come with a warranty??? Did you have a lot of motor problems before the reman? Not a great solution, but you can still buy a '99 EVO motor. Good luck.        JoeS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »

And besides all that, S&S rebuilds those for the Moco.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.