Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tire replacement  (Read 5988 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Tire replacement
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:45:04 AM »

What kind of tires are guys using when the stock ones wear out. Any pictures?
 Gary

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
Re: Tire replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »

putting the stock tire back on. I'm getting about 8,000 miles on the back and about 11,000 on the front. Replaced the rear twice already at 16,000 miles.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »

Prolly as many answers to this thread as they are members. My opinion is that it's a very personal choice based on riding style, where you live, etc etc. My preference is for low mileage sticky tires. Some folks like high mileage hard compound tires. I would imagine the stock tires represent the factory's best effort to provide a middle of the road approach.

knobbs

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »

Replaced both wiht stock, at 8,000 not happy with the milage, was in a bind. Will be shopping around next time.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »

knobbs
        driving around in the family minivan I expect mileage to be the most prominent issue in appraising a tire. You're on four wheels, you don't stress any of them and generally speaking the weight of the vehicle is always directly on the center of the tire. Riding a motorcycle you've got so many other factors to consider that buying tires based solely on how many miles you can get out of them is (not to be impolite but ) not the smartest thing you could do.

B B
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:18:00 PM by Spiderman »

AussieEagle

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »

stock bridgestone tires are the WORST wet weather tires I have every used.

I have dropped a few burnouts just to kill them off early!! Shockingly bad.

Anyway, will replace with a softer NON all terrain looking tire, avon or michelin and apparantly you can go 200mm on the back tire with same stock rim / no mods etc.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:37:42 AM »

knobbs
        driving around in the family minivan I expect mileage to be the most prominent issue in appraising a tire. You're on four wheels, you don't stress any of them and generally speaking the weight of the vehicle is always directly on the center of the tire. Riding a motorcycle you've got so many other factors to consider that buying tires based solely on how many miles you can get out of them is (not to be impolite but ) not the smartest thing you could do.

Henry

:2vrolijk_21:

it's about the best grip and highest safety, not durability.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 01:53:12 PM »

I put Avon Venoms on my sporty and noticed a vast improvement wet weather riding, less following of road lines, and better all round handling, 9000km on them and lots of tread left....but that's on a sporty. I too would like a better tire(esp rain performance since I live in a rain forest) without giving up too much else. I have the tire/rim warranty and it only covers the stock Dunslops....maybe I'll get them to just give me the tire and I'll sell it and put the $ towards tires of my choice.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »

I am sure I will not the best of milage off the stock tires. I bet the next ones will not be much better. This bike spins the rear when going to second and skids to a stop all to often. Maybe it's my driving. :-\LOL

I like the look of the tread design on the stock tires and they grip and corner well if let them.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »

I really like Metzlers, I've been riding the ME88's, ME33 Lazer's and 880's for years great grip. I tried a comparable Dunlop set up once, didn't like the grip of the Dunlop's at all. You just need to keep the Metz's at 42-45 lb, depending on the bike, they'll ware fast if you don't. My V65 had Avon's on it when I got it, they were pretty worn so I can't really comment on them.

Craig

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:02:08 AM »

I am at 5000 miles on the stock tires and showing some wear on the rear. I will look at all the tires listed above when I need a new one thanks for the information guys. I am not terribly concerned about mileage and agree that traction and safety are paramount. I try not to ride in the rain at all and if out on longer trips and get in rain I will most likely be on the FLHRC. I hate the rain with no windshield.

My Fatbob is my hot rod bike so I nearly expect poor longevity.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »

Another thread that's been started so many times there should be a surcharge to start a new one.

We do have a search fucntion that works very well.

B B

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »

Another thread that's been started so many times there should be a surcharge to start a new one.

We do have a search fucntion that works very well.

B B

But yet, you've replied in here on two other occasions. :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Prolly as many answers to this thread as they are members. My opinion is that it's a very personal choice based on riding style, where you live, etc etc. My preference is for low mileage sticky tires. Some folks like high mileage hard compound tires. I would imagine the stock tires represent the factory's best effort to provide a middle of the road approach.

knobbs

B B

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »

But yet, you've replied in here on two other occasions. :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Brian, you never fail to disappoint me. I was going to post that you'd come up with an example of my having not done a search myself or posting on other threads of this nature. Damn, I wish the lottery was as easy to predict as you are

B B

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »

AVON.

:jalapeno:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 24 queries.