Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noisy primary  (Read 1018 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Noisy primary
« on: September 15, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »

Hello . 2011 CVO Road glide ultra. Now with 51k miles.
    For a while I had noticed a kind deep whistling on tickover when warm from the primary chain case. It is also audible when riding on a neutral throttle. By that Imean when they the engine is not pulling or the back wheel is not pushing the engine when the throttle is closed. Seems to be getting more pronounced.
    Reading some of posts by others the description of “whiring” seems to fit the noise.
    Is it the chain tensioner or something else.
    The Hayden tensioner seems to get good reviews, is that the one I-need? MT6? Is that the one.
    Help would be much appreciated.
    JohnT
    Just reading some more posts: I do use the gearbox a lot to slow the bike, when riding twists and turns I tend to drop a gear or two to slow the bike as opposed to using brakes. Could this over tension the stock tensioner.
    When I get it out how do I de-tension the tensioner?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:07:37 PM by johnmowcop »

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Re: Noisy primary
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »

I do know that downshifting hard from high rpm or speed can inadvertantly make the primary chain tensioner tighten the chain a knotch. I inspected mine over the winter and noticed the chain too tight. I just removed the SE tensioner, reset it and reinstalled it. All good.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 09:09:31 PM »

The automatic tensioner can over tighten the primary chain then by putting a constant overload onto the inner primary case bearing this may be the noise you're hearing.
The Hayden tensioner is a spring loaded tensioner and will not over tighten the chain.

This is what the automatic tensioner will do to the inner primary case bearing,........if you're hearing that noise you're describing the bearing could be failing it would be  good to replace it then to leave it and take the chance of not having bigger issues.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:13:05 PM »

Soom in on the pic

It can also damage the bearing race

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 24 queries.