Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Tire Whine  (Read 1416 times)

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
Rear Tire Whine
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »

Rear tire started whining at 2200 miles, sounds like it has mud grip tires. You can see uneven wear between the treads.

Thought it was the belt,belt looks good, checked belt and belt is in perfect alignment (within 1/32") with proper tension. 

Anyone else had this problem? 

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
Re: Rear Tire Whine
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:59:39 AM »

the sounds is probably coming from the tire since it has uneven wear  ....and the wear pattern  you have may be due to incorrect tires pressure  rear tire pressure  should be checked cold  and often
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:42:07 AM »

My bike has had a whine noise from the rear since new.  I think there have been posts on this issue previously.  It was so pronounced that I thought something was wrong but a thorough check revealed nothing.  I don`t know why you would have this issue come up now and not previously, so I would give everything a good looking over just to be safe.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 08:53:30 AM »

There have been tons of reports of cupping and noise with the "MultiTread" Dunflops since they were introduced, more so in the first couple years and less recently.  But that doesn't preclude the possibilities of other causal factors, like improper tire pressure, improper tire and wheel balance, defective shocks, etc.  I'd suggest making certain you're running the proper tire pressure (check cold inflation often, like weekly and whenever there is a large change in ambient temperatures in your area).  See your friendly dealer ASAP while the tires are still in warranty; hopefully you have a good dealership versus the ones who blow everyone off with "that's normal" or "they all do that".

Regardless of any comments by dealership personnel, Dunflop personnel, or H-D personnel, cupping is not normal.  And even if it was normal, it is not acceptable, which is the important part.

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »

Tire pressures are checked weekly, add or subtract per the recommended Harley specs, do a walk-around as well to make sure nothing is falling off or dripping (imagine that).

When driving on new smooth road surface, it is really loud noticeable.  If you slightly lean the bike to one side or the other the noise becomes less noticeable and/or goes away.

Going in to Harley this week, lets see what BS, lie, run around, "that's normal" kind of story I get.  I hate going to the dealer for anything.

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 06:38:03 PM »

I am very careful to run the correct tire pressures and I don`t see any cupping.  This bike had the rear end noise since new.  I truly think it has to do with the design of the rigid "spokes" on these CVO Converts and maybe some kind of harmonic noise created by airflow through the channels in in these "spokes" and the rear fender.  Not sure though.....

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »

I've found, over the course of about 55,000 miles and several sets of tires, that the rear likes (on an Ultra) 42 psi solo, 44 psi 2-up.   

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:10:20 AM »

on a stock tire and rim setup, 2010 convertible  rear @42psi cold front 36 psi cold
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »

I am very careful to run the correct tire pressures and I don`t see any cupping.  This bike had the rear end noise since new.  I truly think it has to do with the design of the rigid "spokes" on these CVO Converts and maybe some kind of harmonic noise created by airflow through the channels in in these "spokes" and the rear fender.  Not sure though.....

Quite possible, but in the OP's case he said the noise didn't start until he had 2200 miles.  That would tend to indicate his issue isn't related to the wheel design, since the wheels have been the same since day one. 

One of the problems with trying to diagnose noises over the internet is that we all perceive sounds differently.  What's normal to me may be the supreme irritant to someone else.  That's why I like to recommend that people with noise issues try to ride several more similar bikes to compare for themselves.  It's a good way to eliminate the standard "they all do that" BS from dealership personnel, and it can also relieve a person's mind if in fact the other bikes do the same thing.  Some noises truly are normal and no big deal, but those tend to always be there and don't change. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »

Bad tire, cupped, dealer ordered a new one under warranty.  Said this is an issue with this size tire.  Has changed out 3 others.

I run 44 in rear and 38 in the front, If you let the pressure get lower than 43-44  the whine gets louder.  

Now I have an audible low pressure warning system !!!  :P
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:45:43 PM by SteveO »

gstrickland

• CVO1: 2013 Anniversary Road Glide #873/900
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »

had the same issue on my 2009 SERG, took it to the dealer and was told that as the tire wears, (mine had about 5k on it), that there would be the possibly of some noise, especially when going around corners. I went through 3 sets before I bought my 13 CVO and they did exactly that!

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.