Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers  (Read 37784 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 11:06:20 AM »

Wouldn't that be great ears "hear" alike [smiley=nixweiss.gif].
Did you give the Wired Speakers a try yet?

Not yet.  Just got back yesterday evening after being gone most of a week.  The speakers (hopefully) arrived while I was gone.  Got to change the amplifiers themselves also and according to tracking the replacement amps should arrive today or Monday.  Will likely wait and be in there for both tasks at the same time.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 11:14:09 AM »

why do you need to change the amps?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »

why do you need to change the amps?

A quirk of my bike.  Immediately upon getting the bike home new I removed the rear antenna and replaced it with an amplifying dipole antenna called a Tunetrapper inside the fairing.  The amps spoof the antenna with a range of interference causing the radio to stop at every frequency when you're seeking for a new channel.  I could move the antenna three foot from the amps and it was fine.  Tucked up back inside the fairing the problem returned.  It only affected FM.  Since my most common FM channels are pre-set and I'm going to be using a CD or XM 99 and 44/100 % of the time I really didn't care.  Just let them know about something that wouldn't crop up with a normal rear mounted antenna in case someone ever actually complained to them about it.

But in the vein of outstanding customer service:

I dropped an email to Paul at HawgWired letting him know what was going on with the antenna inside the fairing.  Someone might have greater "issues" someday with the problem then I did so just wanted to let them know.  Wasn't complaining about it or asking to return or anything else.  Just a courtesy pass on of info about a product they were informed I was still completely pleased with.

A day or so later got an email from HawgWired saying they'd run in to the same problem only recently and had just completed a redesign on the amps to addreass the interference problem.  It's not wholly unexpected with a digital amp once I realized what was going on.  But they had seen it too.  

They'd not had the "new" amp in stock yet when my original order was placed.  But without even being asked to do anything they had a replacement pair on the way and had issued a call tag.  So they're even covering the shipping cost to send back the originals.  It was excellent customer service above and beynod the norm.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 03:54:56 PM »

2lane,
I must have seen the info here someplace for Hawgwired but could you post that up?
I'd like to do up my system this winter.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 04:07:08 PM »

2lane,
I must have seen the info here someplace for Hawgwired but could you post that up?
I'd like to do up my system this winter.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Here you go My....http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1132031814 Send me a PM and i'll get you set up [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 04:12:54 PM »

dude, Sweet bro, I'll check out that site and get to work on spending some dough!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 10:13:41 PM »

MY,

Jim sells 'em and you'll even save a few bucks over buying straight from the mftr.  Once you get the toys in hand here's a thread that might help with the installation too.  It's got pictures and dancing girls and other fun stuff.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1131935924

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2005, 06:23:57 AM »

MY,

Jim sells 'em and you'll even save a few bucks over buying straight from the mftr.  Once you get the toys in hand here's a thread that might help with the installation too.  It's got pictures and dancing girls and other fun stuff.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1131935924
2lane,
 [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] to Jim
 I think it would be a good idea if Jim be posted up for a contact source in the started "list of contacts"

Your topic on the install is the reason I'm going to get it. I am overly impressed with the dancing girls! Extremely well put together topic. If you did that for school project no doubt you'd get an  [size=18]A[/size][/b]
 Not that I couldnt have blown through the job, but when someone like yourself blazes the trail and posts all the info on it, just makes it all to easy thereafter. For others who are not as mechanically inclined that must be totally awesome to have as a guide. Hell it should be printed and packed in for the install guide (minus the costumes on the dancing girls of course) I'll have to make a mental note that when we do meet, to give you a well deserved "pat on the back"
   I'm on the fence as wheather to up-graded my stock radio. I still havent gotten over having this one yet, but all the pros on it is making it VERY hard to resist.
Tell you the truth I started to read your thread  when you started it, then I stopped, cause I could feel the "OH I GOT TO HAVE THIS" coming on.  But I'm sure that I will end up buying it and fold up like a rented mule. I'm weak, I've been infected, and dont seem to be a cure [smiley=knife.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] And loving it at the same time.
 2lane you have yourself a great Thanksgiving and same to everyone else!
MARK

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2005, 11:14:18 AM »

MY,
After the limited experience I've got with the two in combination so far I can only tell you that the 06 radio with the integrated XM all so nicely and easily controlled from handlebars working along with the HawgWired 150 watt amp setup is a wonderful combination.  Really kicks butt.

The radio is great by itself.  Burn a couple of MP3 disks and you've got your own tunes for a full cross country trip.  Want more variety; twitch your right thumb and go to XM.  Guy on the bike several car lengths behind got no radio?  No problem.  Crank up that big amp and let him enjoy your tunes too  ;D  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

All kidding aside, the two units really do make a great combination.  The radio swap actually took less time than the amp install.  Of course if you're just looking for an excuse to do both or a reason to justify it you've really got one.  

Economics.

Yeap, it's true; you'll waste money if you do the amp first and decide on the radio later.  You see Mark, that amp sticks down to the radio with a big piece of velcro.  So if you use up your supplied big piece of velcro on the old radio then make the swap later; you'll have to buy (out of your own pocket!) a new piece of velcro.  That stuff has gotta be expensive too.....

I'm not saying that would tip the scales for anyone.  Just doing the due diligence man, just doing the due diligence  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2005, 06:41:19 PM »

2lane,
Now I can see the logic there, coming from such a frugal man, Velcro, is and always will be a tough decision breaker. Your right, no sense in waiting if the Velcro will need to be replaced [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
And there I go like a child with $0.75 at a 10 cent candy store. YEEEA HAWW!!!
 [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]
watcha gonna do
Mark

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 08:51:21 PM »

2lane,
Now I can see the logic there, coming from such a frugal man, Velcro, is and always will be a tough decision breaker. Your right, no sense in waiting if the Velcro will need to be replaced [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
And there I go like a child with $0.75 at a 10 cent candy store. YEEEA HAWW!!!
 [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]
watcha gonna do
Mark

Roeder's Harley and HD-Dude both just said, "cha ching!"

I love this place  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Ok, all teasing aside, they really do make a great combo Mark.  You'll even save some time doing them both at once (and that velcro too!).  

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2005, 09:40:03 AM »

Don,
question on the unit itself since you are the frontrunner on this.
this componant below would nt be needed for the radio with the Hawgwired setup right? Unless I wanted the rear speaker setup, which I'm sure I wont.

Advanced Audio High Output Sound System

When loud just isn't loud enough. The high output amplifier provides a 40-watt per channel boost to the Advanced Audio Sound System for distortion-free sound, even at freeway speeds. Amplifier is installed beneath the rigid mount Tour-Pak® to save storage space.

76418-06

Fits '06-later Touring models equipped with an Advanced Audio Radio and rigid mount Tour-Pak® luggage system. Compatible with 2- and 4-speaker systems.

MSRP US $445.95

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 10:00:39 AM »

Don,
As copied from your original post on the retrofit of the audio systems below.

[highlight]Radio and harness arrived today.  Installed and working.  Hopefully the XM package will be delivered tomorrow and the task can be buttoned up.

Roeders Harley in Sandusky, OH is the dealership that supplied the parts and did whatever software load was required to make the new radio work in the 05 and earlier bikes.  The rep there to speak to is Tom in the Parts Department.  Phone number there is 419-621-1046.  If you're interested in doing this don't hesitiate to give him a call.  Service and support have been outstanding. [/highlight]
[highlight]At time of order I was told the cheaper and less involved accessory harnesses (there are two of these) can't be used for our purposes.  They are supposed to only work on Ultras and they plug in to harness points that are part of the 06 Ultras stock harness.  So if you're retrofitting you have to use the "big harness" that is HD part number 70169-06.  It's MSRP is $125.00.

The other parts to complete the job of retrofitting an Advanced Audio Radio and XM package are the radio/speaker kit itself (HD # 76412-06), the XM accessory kit (HD # 76404-06) and the XM antenna mounting bracket (HD # 76456-06).  Full MSRP on all the pieces would be about $1625.00.  Final freight inclusive price on the parts from Roeders was just over $1325.00. [/highlight]
This price would then cover the rear amp as well if I'm looking at this correctly, which I dont believe I'll need.

Question 2 > Did you also have the GPS download at an extra cost? And if so whats the price on that?
I figured I might as well get as much knowledge as I can from you, before I call Tom @ Roeders H.D. to save confusion on my part
Thanks Bro  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Mark

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005, 11:43:26 AM »

Mark,
The $1325.00 at Roeders was the 06 radio ($840.00 by itself), the XM unit and the big overlay harness.  That harness, however, lets you connect up any other of the Advanced Audio accessories later on should the urge strike.  So it's cost is not dedicated to just the XM unit.  

Overall cost at $1325.00 did not include the rear amp.  Total outlay for the radio upgrade wasn't $1325.00 though.  I sold the 05 radio kit (radio,speakers, and that overlay harness you no longer use so the kit was complete) for $810.00 and a spare set of HogTunes I'd collected for $90.00.  So only ended up with about $425.00 in the radio upgrade.  That much lower total outlay made the extra expense for the great new amp kit from Hawg Wired much more palatable.  The new radio, XM kit, overlay harness and amp kit are actually only in to me for about $1050.00.

I looked at the rear amp.  Mounting and electronic audio specs are available.  We could mount it (physically) without a problem.  If you've got a fixed tour pak it wouldn't even be a bad solution.  It's actually not a "great" amp as it delivers a fair amount of distortion well before it's total output is reached.  But it'd be decent.  Nothing compared to the clean large output of the HawgWired setup though; not even close.  And not nearly so esthetically effective or pleasing as well.

With a detachable tour pak, however, the rear amp is very problematic.  It has a huge harness and a LARGE plug that connects to the amp.  Would be a real chore to cut that harness and a add disconnect for detachable purposes.  Even doing so would still leave a big honking harness and plug exposed behind the seat.  Just wasn't a clean way to make it work as a detachable unit.  So went looking for something else.

That was about the same time Jim pointed me in the direction of the HawgWired amp kit.  It's a nearly ideal solution.  Small, digital (so no heat and low power consumption) and powerful.  In conjunction with the 06 radio it is a great 1-2 punch.  I wrote that it's a "nearly" ideal solution for two reasons.  

It is a big pricey, for one.  That's mitigated, however, by the facts that it works great and actually fits where we need it to.  Nothing else seems to.  Second issue would be for guys with rear speakers.  It is a two channel amp.  So a lot of guys will look at it and think you can't drive four speakers with it.  The thing is that, in fact, you can.  Just have to wire things up correctly.  If done correctly there's no harm anyplace.  The only "loss" would be the ability to control front to rear fade.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 12:29:56 PM »

Don,
That was sweet selling the 05 system to offset the new system to that figure, makes it a no brainer for the added features of the HK system.
I'll sell mine as well, not to say that I'll get as well a deal but whatever to help offset the better.
The rear amp set-up is diffenitely not in my want list, for all the apparant reason you stated.
What I'm still curious of is did you also do the GPS with it? I have the Garmin 2620 unit, and do like it (I didnt hardwire the unit) so the cords are still somewhat of a small issue when in use. I havent had it long enough to play with alternate hook-ups, I set-up a 3 position(lighted) 12v supply unit in my chopped tour pac, for charging my phone, camera, and Ipod (the Ipod stays in there which has a signal transmitter that feeds the antenna from there) and im thinking of routing a line for the Garmin from that. All thoughts at the moment can be changed if the GPS unit the 06 has would be as equal to the 2620. I will sell the Garmin 2620 as well. Which is brand new.
The less lines and cords that are needed to accomplish the accessories the better!!
   Both the 06 HK with XM. and all needed harness and mounting plates and the Hawgwired set-up are a go. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Now just need to figure the GPS in or not. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Mark

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 24 queries.