Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin 2820, program needs  (Read 2858 times)

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
Garmin 2820, program needs
« on: July 03, 2006, 11:27:19 AM »

Hey all you smart folks.  Can I get away with deleting the language files that I will NEVER need on my 2820?  I see very little need for the majority of the voice and langauge files on the unit that are taking up space...  
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Garmin 2820, program needs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 01:10:29 PM »

Hey all you smart folks.  Can I get away with deleting the language files that I will NEVER need on my 2820?  I see very little need for the majority of the voice and langauge files on the unit that are taking up space...  

You could on the prior models Shannon.  Haven't had a 28XX in hand for any other purpose than playing with it.  Certainly no chance to study one.  But with the prior models one of two things happened:

1) Those options simply were no longer offered in the menu

2) If still offered in the menu and selected it just errored out and you had to reselect one that was still there.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 02:08:17 PM »

you rock, Don.  Thanks.  I will kill a couple and see what happens and then I will make mass deletions.  The unit only have about 1 gB left for POI's and music, and I would like to expand that a bit.  

I sure like knowing where the hell I am now.  There are many advantages!
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 02:10:12 PM »

you rock, Don.  Thanks.  I will kill a couple and see what happens and then I will make mass deletions.  The unit only have about 1 gB left for POI's and music, and I would like to expand that a bit.  

I did it on my 2730...
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 03:30:08 PM »

The mapping GPS on board is really a great tool/toy Breeze.  The various bits of info presented at hand actually make the long days "feel" easier just becuase you really know the when and the where of how far something is.  The map and tracking info for unfamiliar intersections on the interestates can be a Godsend too.  And just being able to head out that-a-way from some hotel or rally location and not have to be concerned about where any particular two lane road goes is just a lot of fun.

Having said that.....

There's a down side.  The more you use the more you will use it.  Eventually those good land nav habits you've developed over the years that can be necessary (or at least helpful) for playing out in the boonies become a bit.... well..... relaxed.  Fortunately wandering around the byways and two lanes of CONUS that's rarely a problem.  But sometimes........  [smiley=oops.gif] .

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 03:48:41 PM »

Therein lies the major portion of the blessing for me.  As a result of a rather catastrophic bout with brain/nuerological damage due to a rescue dive gone sadly astray in the Gulf War, my sense of direction is almost completely shot now.  I have survived only with a heavy reliance on On-Star and a wife who stays connected ALL the time and can get me back from where I get lost since '91.  Now I can lengthen my leash substantially!
The up side is that the guys I went after survived in better shape than I am, so all in all, it's a two-for-one good deal, and now I can figure out where I am on my own!   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 04:17:21 PM »

Therein lies the major portion of the blessing for me.  As a result of a rather catastrophic bout with brain/nuerological damage due to a rescue dive gone sadly astray in the Gulf War, my sense of direction is almost completely shot now.  I have survived only with a heavy reliance on On-Star and a wife who stays connected ALL the time and can get me back from where I get lost since '91.  Now I can lengthen my leash substantially!
The up side is that the guys I went after survived in better shape than I am, so all in all, it's a two-for-one good deal, and now I can figure out where I am on my own!   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Then this is the perfect little tool Breeze.  If the sense of direction has gone slightly astray you've now got one mounted on the handlebars.  The only directional skill needed is to find the touch screen.  Just set the unit for track-up rather than north up and left is always left and right is always right.  No other considerations.  You're set man  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .  

We ever get a chance to ride together you take lead!

All kidding aside here's a thought if you do get out and play more.  It is too easy to get reliant on the tools.  Given the particular circumstances you're riding with if you do get out and about some you might consider getting one of the far cheaper pocket sized GPS units to just keep in the saddlebag or vehicle glove box all the time as a backup.  Any device might crap out sometime.  And a hundred or two hundred bucks for redundant backup of a mission critical system is cheap insurance.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 04:33:05 PM by twolanerider »

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 08:49:01 AM »

You could on the prior models Shannon.  Haven't had a 28XX in hand for any other purpose than playing with it.  Certainly no chance to study one.  But with the prior models one of two things happened:

1) Those options simply were no longer offered in the menu

2) If still offered in the menu and selected it just errored out and you had to reselect one that was still there.

While on the subject of deletions... Can you delete Waypoints in mass vs one at a time?  While messing around with my recently purchased 2610, I loaded the HD sites into my Waypoints and took it to the Max (500).  (no POI's on the 2610)  Now I get the Waypoints Full message.   [smiley=oops.gif]
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 03:23:25 PM »

Update on deleting voice files on 2820...  Yes!  you can delete them.  and if you delete them all, she gets strangley silent.  I wonder if this would work on my teenage daughters....?   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »

Last time I checked, there was not a "Delete Language Function Key" on any female  ;)

Good that you can do that on the 2820...have you played around much with the MP3 functions and Bluetooth? My goal this week is to get that wiring installed permanently.

Did you ever get the V 8 software?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ido911s

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 07:43:31 PM »

I tried the MP3 player, it doesn't hold very many songs. I was hoping to eliminate the need for my ipod. I think i'll just forget about the MP3 and audible books feature. I thought you could download a complete book but it loks like you should only do a chapter or so at a time. There goes my plans to finally read "War and Peace. I'm still waiting for my mounting brackets anyway.

Steve O  

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 21 queries.